SEH America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Isao Iwashita

1. "Stable company and job, but lacks energy"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at SEH America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close knit working groups. Variety of technologies and manufacturing processes provides good experience in the semiconductor industry.

Cons

Improvement projects tend to make slow progress. Poor communication between departments when trying to resolve an issue. Not much training/education provided to operators beyond the minimum level needed for the job.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the production floor to understand areas of improvement.

2. "Average"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Vancouver, WA

I worked at SEH America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of asians born from other countries. Able to get more insightful perspective in their culture you can't find in a book.

Cons

Long hours with low pay snd too much overtime.

Advice to Management

Attack the problem head first and direct and leave the cookie cutter method at home.

3. "The Japanese way (and Iwashita-san was CEO well over a decade ago)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

I worked at SEH America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Financially very viable corporation. Quality is excellent

Cons

VERY little freedom and growth. Tokyo management does little to leverage off employees in the US.
    Current president in the US has been there FAR too long as well as his next two layers of management (many of them "yes" men/women (really mostly just men). Time for much newer/younger blood.

4. "QA manager"

Current Employee - QA Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Good company for stability and consistency

Cons

Lower pay and benefits than other companies

Advice to Management

Focus on employee morale and satisfaction

"Beware being a New Hire"

Former Employee - Junior Windows Developer in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Junior Windows Developer in Vancouver, WA

I worked at SEH America (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a cafeteria and gym in the area. Other then that, you can come to work dressed however you want, the mandatory lab coat you were will cover up whatever your wearing.

Cons

Minor Con: As a Japanese run corporation you have to wear a uniform they call it a clean environment but just wearing different shoes and a coat over clothing doesn't make it clean, it's just the Japanese mentality of equality among workers. It's not the worst thing in the world it just a way of taking away individuality.

Major Cons:
    Technical (Programmers, Engineers) Contractors are sadly seen as canon fodder. If you work there you must quickly find a project only you can do that is vital to the company. The more experienced employee's have created entire projects that the company is dependent on. However in order to secure their jobs, they have documented nothing and don't train anyone. A problem with their servers arises at least once a month or an average of 1.5 a month which cost the company a lot of money (somehow they say it's a million a day the company goes with their servers down), someone has to get fired for incompetence due to company policies. Since no one vital can leave, they will blame contractors left and right despite it being a problem with the old system. So contractors beware of working here, in my time there 2 other contractors disappeared (having been thrown under a bus as the phrase was coined). Don't be surprised if you get Black listed too by the contracting agency who put you there.

As a junior programmer/developer/engineer you expect to have a few senior programmers to work with and have mentor you (show you the ropes), while you contribute to the projects. Junior developers at SEH are not treated as such though, they just put you at a desk and ask you to be a code monkey while giving very ambiguous descriptions of your work (no help or mentoring). Non-tech individuals will come to your desk and ask you to fix random software issues instead of developing or designing like you signed up for. The more experienced Engineers will yell at you for poking into their work.

Several times I wanted to explain to the management the difference between a Junior and a Senior position. A junior position is not a Guru position, junior is more entry level, in other words, junior means they could use some training but for the most part understands the coding languages, methodologies, and general software practices. Juniors have 0 to 2 years exp, meaning they learned the basics of software development as shown by their degrees. Seniors are 7+ years and know the software like the back of their hand, and typically have several projects they have seen to completion, and have mentored several junior developers. Junior Developers tend to make 50k a year at the low end and 80k a year at the high end of pay in the area. Seniors make 100k a year (very low end) to almost 200K (very high end). What they seriously needed was a Senior Engineer, from the sounds of it though they didn't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money to one.

In short their idea of Junior Engineers is to pay them a Junior Engineers pay and treat them like Senior Computer Engineers and IT guy who have seen and used every software under the sun. In short they are trying to hire the Unicorn again (Guru of computers who knows all and works for cheap).

Advice to Management

There are several suggestions I could make. But from my experience I don't think they will matter. The managers are usually so busy they don't have time to interact with their employee's. I would suggest one on one private meetings with each of your employee's to talk about his/her concerns and goals. This way you can develop a rapport with your employee's, while helping clear what is holding up their work or what problems are happening. As great as that idea sounds I know it doesn't work well with SEH-A.

One, the managers are just super busy with 10 meetings a day. Typically they just want you to email them concerns are problems.

Two, SEH-A has a punishment system in place not a reward system. That place is all about finding someone to throw under a bus to cover up your mistakes. So friendly chats about what you think needs fixing or working on ends up being about who to throw under a bus rather then a meeting to discuss possible next steps.

Three, Desks are not cubical or office like, they are lined up next to each other like a class room including the managers, so any conversation can be heard by everyone else. So it's not a chat friendly environment. The manager still holds meetings at her desk or the conference table in the middle of the room. Nothing is private, so one on one meetings are harder to conduct.

"If you like jokes, you'll love this place"

Former Employee - Operator in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Operator in Vancouver, WA

I worked at SEH America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The coworkers are the only thing that kept me here. When you work 12 hours a day with the same people, you get close and it's like working with friends. The technicians and engineers are really nice and always willing to show you things when they have time.

Cons

I made an account on glass door just to give this place a bad review after working 5 years here. The turnover rate is extremely high for a reason...upper management is terrible and have no clue how things run on the production floor. You end up being underpaid, under appreciated, overworked and overlooked. Raises? Forget about them. You could be working there for years and be making the same as someone who just started. Promotions? Only after you've worked there for ten years. I had learned above and beyond what I was paid for and met all the requirements to become a senior operator and I was only ever told that they were "working on it" which is just a hook to keep you there until you forget about it. This place is the worst, I mean THEE WORST when it comes to production. They don't take care of their employees at all. Supervisors will ask for your thoughts and pretend to care and pretend to listen, but it's all a charade. They don't give a damn. All they do is sit behind their desk and attend meetings. My supervisor had said she was going to start coming in on the floor more often just to be there and see how things are. She came in a total of one time.
    For the last couple years we've been told that we've been making hundreds of thousands of dollars for the company, but do we see a penny of it? Do we get raises? A bonus? No. But does upper management? Yes. Like they worked at all...

Advice to Management

Do your job. Sorry, I mean learn how to do your job, then actually do your job, and not at the minimum. And I don't mean push your work on to someone else, I mean actually do your damn job. Also, maybe give a damn about what your employees of five years have to say, maybe give them raises and incentive to hit goal. Sometimes saying "good job" or "congrats this weekend" isn't enough. Maybe reward the employees who work smart and work hard and not promote the lazy people to positions where they're just going to sit there.

"An interesting experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, WA

Pros

Management worked with my school schedule.

Cons

We were severely underpaid by industry standards. Not only that, but they worked us a strict 28 hours a week to avoid having to give benefits or overtime. We were looked down on and derided by much of the senior staff. Management didn't help to alleviate this situation. Management also went out of their way to hide undesirable or inappropriate behavior by staff and contractor alike. The working conditions were generally tolerable in my position, but much of the factory was dilapidated, in disrepair, or just plainly empty. There was massive amounts of waste both in production and everywhere else. Great lengths were taken up to cover mistakes. There were no advancement opportunities in sight. At all.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like expendable drones. Mentality that works in the country of origin won't work here. Understanding your employees and their cultural beliefs will benefit you greatly. Also, reduce your middle management, and hire people who are competent and who connect well with others. Stop hiring employees who can't do the job, and find intelligent and educated individuals. They would need to be paid more, but they're more stable.

"A Japanese company run by an egotistical Japanese engineering group"

Current Employee - Process Technician in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Process Technician in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at SEH America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great place to develop your skill set. Schedule is good if you are fortunate to work on the M-F staff.

Cons

The company is run by individual Japanese engineers inside and outside the United States. They have individual agendas that conflict with company policies. Process change control is rarely followed which leads to variations in production output. A term "copy-exact" is often used to describe the process but I can assure you that it is far from it. Each plant is doing a different process and trying to force the processing to look the same in order to save the most money.

Horrible management.... Management doesn't hold themselves or others accountable for anything. This job offers some promotional opportunity for those who go beyond the job description which isn't even clearly defined.

Promotions are limited to title only and not a wage increase. Raises are basically non-existent here and if you get one it's small at best.

Advice to Management

Follow change control established by the corporate office which is promised to our customers. Copy the entire process from the sister packet. Get engineering to work closely with production. Develop people by establishing specific objectives and holding them accountable by auditing regularly. Stop deligating responsibilities and lead by example. Morale is at an all time low because you allow it to be. If you developed individuals to work as a team, you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate. The company has unrealistic and unreasonable objectives for management which does not allow them to take care of even the most basic needs of the personnel. There are no incentives built into this work environment. You can come to work and do the bare minimum or you can put in 110% and get paid the same. Employees are just badge numbers.

"IT Engineer"

Former Employee - Applications Systems Analyst/IS Engineer/IT Auditor in Akron, OH

I worked at SEH America (Less than a year)

Pros

People at the time were nice to work with.

Cons

Too much politics in management; not trustworthy

10. "Low tech, tech company."

Former Employee - Senior Operator in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Operator in Vancouver, WA

Pros

If you like working long arduous hours on your feet, this company is for you.

Cons

These people are some of the most incompetent, under-qualified people I have ever worked with. Only a few of over 100 people I worked with even had a college degree, and I was the ONLY person in production with a degree.