SEI/Aaron's Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Chas Smithgall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent pay, good benefits, and flexibility with scheduling (in 4 reviews)

• Until Chas took over was a great place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours for any type of manager (in 15 reviews)

• No Work/Life balance, low pay, really bad employer at least in the NYC area (in 4 reviews)

1. "General Manager"

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long

2. "Too comfortable and outdated. Company will not pull itself out of its downward spiral."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm having a hard time with this question. The Cons section may explain why I couldn't find the Pro's.

Cons

The heads of the company are way too comfortable with their jobs and the company itself. They don't care to make differences or make changes for the better. At a time when a company has made continues declines in revenue, layoffs, store closings nationwide, it is the most crucial time to make changes. Most upper management, (VP's, Directors,) for this company are lazy. They are far too comfortable with their jobs and unsupervised. You may not be able to micromanage VP's and Directors but they too need to be checked on because while this company is realistically meeting its doom these positions are not only lacking in improvements, ideas, planning and execution efforts, they keep others from trying to below them. It's very frustrating to find the problems, develop solutions and then stopped because change may take them out of their comfort zone.

Advice to Management

No matter the position, all upper management needs to be checked in on (I don't mean their data and reports) both data and reports can be played with. A great idea would be to survey lower level employees. If you make it anonymous, you may just learn things you never knew. Ask them for their ideas and opinions. When finished ask them how they like their job and why?

3. "Do Not Go Into Business With Chas Smithgall"

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time

Pros

Until Chas took over was a great place to work

Cons

Chas took control of SEI Aaron's and sold the company back to Aaron's Corporate. He is only in business for himself and does not care about the financial burden he has put his former employees in with increased cost of benefits and now bi-weekly pay. I personally am losing $300-400 per month! If you ever have an opportunity to work for a company Chas Smithgall operates run the other way!!!

4. "Work you butt off"

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good company will always have hours for you to work. Almost impossible to get fired unless stupid reason.

Cons

No time for family and raises are pitiful 10 cents really that makes no difference when you have been there for a year or so.

Advice to Management

Time off and family are more important than your numbers and goals.

5. "Controller"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our Atlanta Store Support Center treats everyone well, the benefits and pay rates are very good. Has been a great place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Dissapointing"

Current Employee - CAM in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - CAM in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexable scedual with planning. Friendly work environment. Close teams.

Cons

Customers, hours, pay, cleanlyness. Regular unwanted encounters with bedbugs roaches and other infestations.

Advice to Management

Lower your over all prices the economy has changed peoples income has changed. Our customer base is borderline poverty. With uneducated or ignorent individuals who can afford better quality furnature; or at the other extreme the individuals who live in poverty and try to cheat our system both of which dont have the capacity to fully understand the terms of our leases or pricing. Ive been with sei for a few years and its discouraging watching customers happily renting items only to have to rip the merchandise away from these families. The aarons "service fee" is almost as much as the "fair market value" of the item. How dose aarons get away with charging 600 dollars for an xbox1 or ps4 with an added 400 dollars in service fees thats 1000 dollars for a new or used console. There 279.00 at walmart. I have one phrase to describe sei and corprate aarons, Money Hungry. And lastly why push your reginal managers to push your gms to demand no employees share wage information? This is illigal and most people dont realize its your right and duty to share wage information it keeps wages fair. Unfortunately I've taken it upon myself to discover the difference in wages and wow this company clearly has an unspoken rule book with a chapter called wages and promotions. Its amazing that 2 people with the same experiance and position can have 2 totally opposite pay grades with hundreds of dollars in difference... This dosent make a team it pits people against eachother.

7. "MIT"

Former Employee - MIT
    Former Employee - MIT

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

President dave is great, you get to work as a small team which in return comes like your family.

Cons

Schedule
    Mon. 8 -9
    Tues. 8-9
    We'd. Off
    Thurs. 1-9
    Friday. 8-9
    Sat. 730-1230

Enough said

Advice to Management

Collections had Saturdays off

8. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, and flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind

9. "Needs some improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT

I worked at SEI/Aaron's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Red carpet delivery presented very well

Cons

Poor communication from store/delivery team, lack of truck checks/maintenance, lack of time to service returned items

Advice to Management

Time made for servicing ,truck checks ,

"Was a fantastic company to work for until thursday"

I have been working at SEI/Aaron's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Great management with the exception of the CEO. His father was a real man, he is not. Sad!

Cons

The CEO sold out to Aaron's corporate because he's a little punk. He broke up a great company to line his pockets.