SEI Investments Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SEI Investments Chairman and CEO Alfred P. West Jr.
Alfred P. West Jr.

Pros
  • Teamwork oriented and good work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• The people here are amazing as is the unique culture and work environment (in 37 reviews)

1. "Fund Accountant II"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant II in Oaks, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant II in Oaks, PA

I have been working at SEI Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, employees are taken care of. Teamwork oriented and good work/life balance.

Cons

No privacy since everything is open and nobody has offices.

2. "Operations Administrator"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Oaks, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Oaks, PA

I worked at SEI Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible team structure, innovative culture, esprit de corps.

Cons

Limited room for intermediate advancement.

Advice to Management

Tackle business unit isolation. Greater cooperation between business units and competencies is possible.

"Yin and Yang"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oaks, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oaks, PA

I have been working at SEI Investments full-time

Pros

There's variety of projects and tons of extracurricular activities on campus. You can and are asked to step outside of your comfort zone for stretch projects. Rarely work overtime so you can say it is life and family-friendly. Opportunity to be creative in your work. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Downside is there are a lot of obstinate and not worldly employees. Haven't experienced so many difficult/rude people working in one company. Daily struggles and you constantly need to justify every suggestion you make. Expertise is not always welcomed, which make you question regularly why did you hire me then? People just want you to do projects their way and don't want you to ask questions or give suggestions for improvement or innovation. Many inexperienced employees and lack of resources. Some teams need several more members to complete the workload.

"Middle Office Document Management Operations Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Ancient Oaks, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Ancient Oaks, PA

I worked at SEI Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People that work there are friendly, hard working, and easy to get a long with. Lots of "amenities" at the Oaks Office: Hair Cuts, Shoe Shine, Dry Cleaning, Food Truck Thursdays. Management was flexible, open to new ideas, questions, and advice. I liked my supervisor and manager while I worked there but (see below).

Cons

I worked for SEI through a temp agency. From all indications that I had everything was going well and they were interested in hiring me on full time. I was told 5:15 on a friday before a holiday weekend that my temporary employment assignment was ended. I was told that "I would be bored in the role and they thought I was destined for bigger things."

Career Opportunities:
    None. I was hired looking at this as a career opportunity to move into another position. I offered innovative new ways to save time and money in my role. While in my position I gave 110%, I showed up early, stayed late. But no it really wasn't an opportunity.

Compensation and Benefits
    $15/ hr and no benefits because I was a temp. It was a get my foot in the door opportunity to advance. I was supposed to be provided access to the education website... over 3 months and multiple request later, I never received it.

Work Life Balance:
    They were flexible with work life balance. I had to stay home to watch my sick kid afew days while I worked there, I had no problems.

Senior Management
    I have to rate them low. I was never even in a meeting with them in the 3 months while I was there. No new employee orientation or anything (again I was a temp), but I expected something.

Culture & Values:
    Culture is great but their values are aweful as evidenced by how they let me go.

Advice to Management

1. If you don't intend to hire a temp employee on give some indication of this. Don't lead them to believe otherwise.
    2. I was "overqualified for the role" are you looking for unqualified candidates?
    3. Don't tell someone you're ending their employment 5:15 on Friday. You can forget about me enjoying my holiday weekend. There was no job searching that I could do...it was a weekend and a holiday. This was a pretty insensitive low move... whoever made this decision should have had the common sense to extend me courtesy to wait until after the weekend to tell me.

"Stay Away, Uncontrollable Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Oaks, PA
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Oaks, PA

Pros

None, the disorganization alone makes it impossible to get anything done. High School like corporate culture. Everything they tell you in the pre-employment process about inclusiveness is a lie.

Cons

A fee based Investment Manager Services company that will ultimately fail because of lack of effective organization, talent, and inability to see the future of their industry. They use outdated tech, outdated HR, and have an inability to introspectively assess their flaws as a corporation. SEI will not be a company in 10-20 years, and I am glad I left when I did. Al West is also a selfish CEO who redeems stock options like candy and wouldnt be surprised if he just took the money and ran on this 30 year venture. Stay Away Investors, Prospective Employees its a sinking ship for sure.

Advice to Management

Run

"No room to advance"

Current Employee - Asset Management in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Asset Management in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at SEI Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PTO, flex scheduling, great coworkers

Cons

Pay, Middle management is poor

Advice to Management

Cutting costs has diminishing rates of return

"Fund Accountant Role (PE)"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Oaks, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Oaks, PA

I have been working at SEI Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good job for coming out of college
    Willing to train
    Some fun perks (happy hours, etc.)
    Growing company

Cons

Does not pay well for industry standard
    Upward mobility is severely lacking
    Client-Based, so your work can change at will

Advice to Management

Pay better and don't let the client run rampant with unrealistic expectations.

8. "External Sales"

Former Employee - External Sales in Oaks, PA
    Former Employee - External Sales in Oaks, PA

I worked at SEI Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, truly great individuals to work with and for. I was privileged to work with men and women who routinely made coming to work a pleasure.

Cons

There were hardly any negative experiences. The only thing I would have changed would have been the Difficult for outside sales to move into management roles.

Advice to Management

None

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Oaks, PA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Oaks, PA

I have been working at SEI Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady job. Hard to get fired. Decent 401k, insurance, and other benefits. Generous vacation time. Open office is nice.

Cons

Company pays very poorly and will not give fair pay based on contributions. There are very few opportunities for career advancement and no career paths. When they do come up management often selects the wrong candidate for the job. Most importantly SEI seems uninterested in retaining their top talent and often lets them walk to competitors. But poor performing employees will stay forever and keep getting a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Give them opportunities for growth.

"Not the best"

Current Employee - Analyst in Oaks, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Oaks, PA

I have been working at SEI Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great campus, with attractive buildings and landscaping/trail. employees use pythons to allow mobility. this used to be a fun place to work.

Cons

As SEI grows and gains more clients and jobs, it keep the number of resources low, squeezing every drop of energy out of employees.

Advice to Management

hire more employees and help rather than take advantage of the entry level employees. you will earn loyalty and trust of your employees.