SERMO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Kirk

Pros
  • possibility to work from home if needed (in 6 reviews)

• There are employees across the company in multiple offices and countries who are smart, friendly, passionate and hard working (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Make very strange business decisions without warning (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management and finance are all like used car salesmen (in 5 reviews)

"New Guard is Good"

Current Employee - Technology in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at SERMO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm a recent addition to SERMO and understood the culture was in transition. I can confirm there is a history of discontentment. That history is much different than my daily experience. I have clear priorities and am able to lead my team with confidence. I've been given the freedom to execute on a number of changes that have needed to take place and am proud to work with a professional team who work to improve their skills every day. During the interview process I easily saw the large potential SERMO has and have been able (and encouraged!) to act to make that potential a reality.

Cons

Priorities have shifted from time to time which cause some hardship in planning, but the shifts have been for good reasons.

HR is over-tasked and it was slow to get some benefits set up (I have been covered the entire time I've worked at SERMO but getting official word took a while).

Cross team communication (between divisions) is difficult.

Advice to Management

I would benefit from hearing from Marketing, Research and other departments more frequently and would like a better appreciation of their priorities.

"Great Internship"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SERMO (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn valuable skills, gain exposure to a number of areas of the business.

Cons

Pay is terrible, CEO is misguided, virtually no chance of advancement.

Advice to Management

Focus on your strengths.

"Not Good"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at SERMO (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is fairly nice and there are some good people, but this is not a healthy work environment.

Cons

You are best off looking elsewhere

Advice to Management

sell the company

"mediocre"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SERMO (More than a year)

Pros

Half decent experience, can look OK on your resume

Cons

Underpaid, over-worked, work-life balance not so great

"Best joke ever: sermo"

I worked at SERMO full-time

Pros

definitely not the ceo and key company "leaders"

Cons

the company is a mess. sermo is being run into the ground because ceo and cmo are incompetent. they hide behind the puppets they directly hire without introducing these poor souls to their teams. when things do not go according to plan, they are quickly fired and used as escape goats to buy more time with the board.

Advice to Management

the company has taken a turn for the worst and there is no light at the end of the perverbial tunnel. sermo will not survive if management has its way. see you next time sermo!

"And the downward spiral continues"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SERMO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A few months ago, I could have said talented resources on the ground but all those folks have either been fired or quit.

Cons

Where to begin..
    -Company is more or less driven by the CMO whose incompetence has speerheaded the company's recent woes
    -Weak leadership overall with ad hoc decisions, high distrust of employees, and poor business decisions
    -The past year has seen a revolving door of folks coming in and leaving with notable departures in Product, Technology, IT, HR, and Sales (4 changes in Head of Sales in a year)
    -Those on the floor have either become complacent or fear for their jobs as those who have been sitting next to them for years may just as quickly disappear as those hired a month ago
    -Confusing / ever changing vision and strategy
    -Pressure from CEO to find numbers to prove success even when they don't exist

Advice to Management

The new talent may have a chance but under a new CEO.

"this company is going places"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

This company is in complete transformation. It is a marriage of two companies. An arranged marriage. And arranged marriages are always challenging, especially when the two entities have different values, cultures, cadences and even language. To merge it into one entity and make 1+1=3 is difficult to say the least, but I, for my part believe it’s happening. The speed at which the ‘marriage’ was done, and the speed at which execution happens on a day to day basis has made it painful for some individuals who weren’t on board with the new vision or refused to get on board, or simply didn’t have the new skills required for the new company. Thus some very disgruntled employees with negative reviews. But sometimes when trees are pruned they grow stronger and healthier than ever. Typical merger growing pains.. but the worst has past.

Cons

The line is that ‘we are transforming and disrupting healthcare’. Personally I believe this because I see it with my own eyes every day on the platform. The company is changing healthcare in the sense that it’s allowing doctors around the world to crowd-source and solve difficult cases and talk openly about how to use drugs and approaches to therapy. That might sound mundane.. but doctors are actually pretty isolated and have never been linked globally via technology in this way. So this means they are using the ‘shared mind’ to work together and improve outcomes.. and that is actually saving lives, saving costs, and doctors are learning from one another all around the world. So for me it’s amazing to work for a company who is ‘changing the world in a good way’. I’d rather do this than sell brown sugar water to the world.
    The business model is also transforming into an incredibly valuable model. Again, both entities had to be transformed for this to happen but the potential is massive and the interest level from all kinds of audiences is tremendous.. doctors, pharma, government, all kinds of clients etc.
    Lots has been written about the CEO. He is visionary has gotten recognized by the external world for many awards and will take this company to great places. One must recall that he foresaw and took two completely different businesses and merged them to make one super valuable company. Like all ‘disruptive CEOs’, he has a strong personality, and an unwavering vision. He also moves at the speed of light.. so that is difficult for some! He expects people to be not only good at their job but to do it with passion/ purpose. There is a new highly skilled leadership team with the experience and discipline to take this company to the next level.

Advice to Management

When you move at the speed of light and pivot often, as an agile technology company must do to stay ahead of the game, you sometimes forget to communicate internally. Take the time to communicate more often, explain more and encourage the leadership team to communicate to their teams for a cascade effect throughout the company to maintain momentum and enthusiasm.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at SERMO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Below the executive level there are some really talented people. They work hard on arbitrary deadlines with creativity and high-quality work.

Cons

One of the weakest, most vain CEOs I've ever seen. He has collected a few "key" people around him who call the shots and the are woefully unqualified to be giving advice to anyone. Metrics are constantly goosed and manipulated to justify big sales into Pharma. At some point they're going to figure out the value is significantly lower and just yank their accounts. One of the "key" players is actually commenting regularly on an anti-Sermo blog started by employees.

A huge exodus is currently underway up and down the company, the recent spate of bad reviews should be enough to give anyone pause. Seriously don't work here.

Advice to Management

Bow out gracefully and let people with experience running a digital company take over. Just cash in your chips and go on a long vacation.

"REPOST: If I knew then, what I know now, I'd decline......3x over."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at SERMO full-time

Pros

The people doing the work to deliver services or building technology are committed to their co-workers, customers and physicians.

Cons

1. Complete lack of business ethics; metrics are made up or spun to whatever story CEO and CFO need to tell that day.
    2. Unless you are part of the narcisstic CEO’s inner circle sheeple, you have no value and are expandable.
    3. CEO believes that running the company means he can run each individual function himself. Too involved in low level things while the company veers out of control.
    4. No coherent business strategy to align with; seems to change month to month.
    5. Physicians are told that SERMO is a safe haven, a doctor’s lounge where they are free to express themselves, but the lounge is bugged and Pharma is listening.
    6. Top performers are identified by those who ‘listen’ vs actually delivering on goals and objectives to drive business forward.
    7. Morale and engagement of employees is terrible and attrition is high.
    8. Incredible turnover in Sr. Mgmt. Team because very few can work with CEO and stay at company for an extended period of time.
    9. Questionable personal relationship between key leaders impact business decisions.
    10. Business is based on a constant stream of SPAM email and involuntary redirects.
    11. Performance management strategy – create hostile work environment and hope target quits so severance doesn’t have to be paid.

Advice to Management

If the board cared about their investment, they’d fire the entire leadership team and start over. None of them are qualified to run their AOR and would never do so in real companies that value results and accountability.

"Run Forrest, Run!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SERMO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate co-workers are generally helpful and supportive.

Cons

There are many:

- Important company-wide initiatives change direction like the wind.

- Communication from the top down is nonexistent.

- Trust between CEO/Key Leaders and their employees is illusory.

- Staff is not entrusted to make sound business decisions--even when they come from experienced people.

- Sticking to your morals and ethics long enough because you want to do what is right will result in being fired, laidoff, or pushed out.

Advice to Management

Although the company has a vision and mission, the path is permeated with distrust, lack of direction, no real growth, bad decisions, and poor leadership.

My advice to management is to change your ways and start by truly valuing your employees and trusting in their knowledge and experience. This is why you pay them.