SGK Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
SGK CEO David A. Schawk
David A. Schawk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The employees (non-management) can sometimes be great co-workers (in 4 reviews)

• Good Benefits (Dental, Vision, Life, Health) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They pile on work to people Don't care about work - life balance (in 4 reviews)

• There was no respect towards associates or the client (in 3 reviews)

1. "Senior Production Artist"

I worked at SGK full-time

Pros

They work with some pretty big names, so it can be a good platform to build contacts.

Cons

Very vague management, you really need to be someone who can make things happen for yourself, and even then, it's hard to get anywhere.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers more, good people are walking away out of frustration

2. "Really tough environment to do great work in."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at SGK (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Somewhat diverse. Huge.

Cons

Distinct lack of vision, innovation, creativity, spirit and CULTURE. Complex and confusing organization, and often divisions and brands are directly competitive with each other.

Advice to Management

To grow, invest in growth more, cut less.

"Mixed feelings"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people were good to work with for the most part, very flexible and relaxed work environment for the most part.

Cons

need new HR leaders that can roll out better benefits and salary. company went from good to mediocre at best. sometimes having to take on too many roles with no ability to delegate. I have no problem with multitasking I do have a problem with jobs not being filled Due to recruiting issues. I blame a lot on HR and not so much on the intention of the company.

Advice to Management

Better communication between HR and staff, follow up and follow through. Start from scratch if you have too, great talent lost due lack of leadership and action.

"Not a great place to learn the industry"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent location, most people are pretty nice, flexible schedules.

Cons

HR was very weak. Constant layoffs to tenured employees

Advice to Management

Hire managers that don't drink and smoke pot on the job and then make mistakes that causes problems for the client.

"Middle management nightmare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of talent at the production level. Mismatched carpet and concrete floors throughout.

Cons

Micro management nightmare, get ready for stupid plays as If you were being managed like a high school football team in last place. Om has talent level of a McDonald's table cleaning worker. All funds are steered toward high level position for new gadgets, no money is spent at a production level, if so its a joke. Place is full of asbestos.

Advice to Management

This is for high level management. Spend more time seeing what really is going on in your place, instead of behind closed doors.

6. "Bizarre Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at SGK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a rock star - you'll shine

Cons

Way too many legacy people. The business has changed exponentially (needs are now digital - progressive - consulting - strategy) - yet most of top management has been in place for 20+ years. Will never forget CEO speaking at a company meeting and going off on a political tirade - basically threatening employees that SGK may not be able to offer benefits given Obamacare, etc. Was so beyond inappropriate - I don't care if it's a family company.

Advice to Management

Mix it up - identify, hire and retain top talent - which requires paying them and providing thoughtful leadership and guidance to help them grow their careers.

7. "No room for advancement"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at SGK as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Not many. Seems as if there are many temp positions open, which makes for quick employment!

Cons

I was a temp for several months there, who was technically working under matthews at a primarily SGK office. But I was being well underpaid with no benefits. The acquisition also caused a lot of confusion (regarding policies on benefits and holidays) which was a headache. I have seen lots of people voluntarily leave because of how underpaid and under appreciated they were. New people would get hired on making way more than those who gave SGK 2+ years.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many temps! and if your current employees ask for a raise, you should give it to them. Don't get rid of working-from-home, just because Matthews doesn't do it. That is the only thing that attracts new people to your company.

8. "Frustrating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I have been working at SGK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge Potential, lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

Extremely understaffed, Top management doesn't believe in the company.

Advice to Management

You have to spend money to make money (if you believe in the company)

9. "Employees are rarely appreciated"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility regarding hours; 2 blocks away from Millennium Park; free popcorn every Tuesday; many different projects in-house; cheap vending machines

Cons

You are seen as your job title only, regardless of other skills and abilities; their only concern is billing the client more, not so much employee welfare; no sense of camaraderie or team; extremely low pay

Advice to Management

See your employees as more than their title. Utilize their talents.

"Should have went with Gut Instinct years ago!"

Former Employee - Prepress Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Prepress Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SGK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is not too bad. Great Co-Workers who are all in the same boat and know it.

Cons

If you work at SGK, YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE FOR A REASON. No advancement possibilities unless you suck at your job (sometimes literally). The worse you are at your job, the better the chance of promotion (See Wiki - Peter Principle). If you are really good, then set your things down because that is what you will be doing until your job goes to China, India, Malaysia or destinations unknown. I was there way too long. I should have gone with my gut instinct to start my own business years ago but these guys were begging me to come work for them. I stomached the ineptitude for years. The management around me at my location seemed to party as though they were still in college. The original Mr. Clarence Schawk seemed like a nice guy but the managerial crowd that followed apparently hung out and got drunk together in high school (70's-90's) and gave each other jobs. The General Manager of my branch had no ethics, morals, etc., which incidentally ran hand in hand with corporate mentality. Apparently and unbeknownst to me, Corporate must require these traits to individuals that they want for mid-management up to senior management jobs. My ethics, morals, conduct, etc., were well above that line. Matter of fact, at this very moment you can google the name of my former GM followed by the word "Arrest" and come up with a partial rap history and actually a complementing mugshot (if only he looked as well day to day). His Attorney must be on retainer with corporate Schawk! (SGK).
    My job eventually went to China. I knew it was coming but like the proverbial "Ostrich" sticking his head in the ground, I just ignored. Actually once it happened, I didn't look back. I have started my own business and hope to do around $500k in sales this first year. Next year looks even better. I was becoming stagnant working in that environment and I knew that leaving would eventually be the best thing that ever happened to me, employment wise. My new company employs 5 people now and we all work together. This coming Christmas, I will do the unthinkable and invite them to a Christmas party. If Schawk every had Christmas parties, the lowly workers would be asked to leave, even if they haven't gotten their eight hours yet. That was the case of the location where I worked. You would know that a party was coming because the day of, everyone that was someone would be in a nice suit or dress, with heels and whatnot walking around like a bunch of tarts. That's when you knew that the liquor would be flowing like milk & honey in a few hours.
    Nuff said for now. Do what you want to do if you are looking for a job but this is a stepping stone location. They don't care about you and are only hiring you because they couldn't send the job overseas....yet!

Advice to Management

I gave all my advice to management while I was there. Do you think they are going to listen to me now that I'm gone?