SGK Reviews | Glassdoor

SGK Reviews

Updated March 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good Benefits (Dental, Vision, Life, Health) (in 5 reviews)

• Good People benefits are are as well as salary (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little room for advancement at locations with which I am familiar (in 3 reviews)

• They talk about people behind their backs as if they were in high school and treat their employees horrible (in 3 reviews)

1. "Ever Changing Landscape"

Current Employee - Senior Client Coordinator in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Coordinator in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work opportunity, great growth in career, no ceiling!

Cons

Pay does not change by much as you grow internally, but opportunity for experience is there.

Advice to Management

Hire talented people and let them do their job, try to avoid micromanaging too much.

"Should have went with Gut Instinct years ago!"

Former Employee - Prepress Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Prepress Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SGK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is not too bad. Great Co-Workers who are all in the same boat and know it.

Cons

If you work at SGK, YOU ARE WHERE YOU ARE FOR A REASON. No advancement possibilities unless you suck at your job (sometimes literally). The worse you are at your job, the better the chance of promotion (See Wiki - Peter Principle). If you are really good, then set your things down because that is what you will be doing until your job goes to China, India, Malaysia or destinations unknown. I was there way too long. I should have gone with my gut instinct to start my own business years ago but these guys were begging me to come work for them. I stomached the ineptitude for years. The management around me at my location seemed to party as though they were still in college. The original Mr. Clarence Schawk seemed like a nice guy but the managerial crowd that followed apparently hung out and got drunk together in high school (70's-90's) and gave each other jobs. The General Manager of my branch had no ethics, morals, etc., which incidentally ran hand in hand with corporate mentality. Apparently and unbeknownst to me, Corporate must require these traits to individuals that they want for mid-management up to senior management jobs. My ethics, morals, conduct, etc., were well above that line. Matter of fact, at this very moment you can google the name of my former GM followed by the word "Arrest" and come up with a partial rap history and actually a complementing mugshot (if only he looked as well day to day). His Attorney must be on retainer with corporate Schawk! (SGK).
    My job eventually went to China. I knew it was coming but like the proverbial "Ostrich" sticking his head in the ground, I just ignored. Actually once it happened, I didn't look back. I have started my own business and hope to do around $500k in sales this first year. Next year looks even better. I was becoming stagnant working in that environment and I knew that leaving would eventually be the best thing that ever happened to me, employment wise. My new company employs 5 people now and we all work together. This coming Christmas, I will do the unthinkable and invite them to a Christmas party. If Schawk every had Christmas parties, the lowly workers would be asked to leave, even if they haven't gotten their eight hours yet. That was the case of the location where I worked. You would know that a party was coming because the day of, everyone that was someone would be in a nice suit or dress, with heels and whatnot walking around like a bunch of tarts. That's when you knew that the liquor would be flowing like milk & honey in a few hours.
    Nuff said for now. Do what you want to do if you are looking for a job but this is a stepping stone location. They don't care about you and are only hiring you because they couldn't send the job overseas....yet!

Advice to Management

I gave all my advice to management while I was there. Do you think they are going to listen to me now that I'm gone?

"Behind the Times"

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company feeling and the ability to do many things due to lack of staff

Cons

Very hard to move up the ranks here and takes an act of Congress to get a raise. Leadership should be stronger and have more vision to push this company where it needs to go.

Advice to Management

Push us into the digital age or this company will become extinct.

5. "Very positive up to 2008, then only moderately positive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people that I work with are great. Great energy, enthusiasm and knowledge.

Cons

Geographically diverse so there is some travel in some of the roles. Some uncertainly as to the future with the pending merger with MATW

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees in the field. The best ideas come from there.

6. "Company in transition"

Current Employee - Technical in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SGK thought about getting into the services side of the industry way before competition

Cons

Industry is changing very fast, and due to its size, Schawk is not changing fast enough with it.

Advice to Management

Stay nimble, listen to employees, listen to key customers.

7. "Lots of talk, not much action"

I have been working at SGK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, good benefits, some nice people

Cons

Leadership challenges. Cultural issues. Very political.

8. "Public Company in Design Industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at SGK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and office environment were positive.

Cons

Not given opportunity to assume more responsibility.

Advice to Management

Allow employees to improve processes. Reward innovation.

9. "Enjoy working at Schawk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGK full-time

Pros

Opportunity for promotion has been there if you put for the effort and step up to take on added responsibility

Cons

Compensation has not been consistent with market always and the company review process has not always been consistent across the board

10. "Lots of moving parts"

Pros

The company is a large global entity with a lot of opportunity if you are willing to relocate. There are a lot of facilities around the world.

If you are versatile you will never get bored.

There are quite a few different sections to Schawk - Agency related (Anthem!), Separations, Color Retouch, Photography, Prototyping and 3D Rendering, as well as SDS which is more involved with IT and approval software.

Cons

Pay increases are few and far between, you have to change positions or fight for some advancement before you see even a cost of living adjustment.

Advice to Management

There is a disconnect of goals between financial drive and process drive. We sometimes get caught up in fiscal discussions and we don't improve our process or in order to improve our finances we add 17 steps to our process.

11. "Shortsighted leadership that routinely tries for the easy buck while destroying the will of employees."

I worked at SGK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can get plenty of overtime hours

Cons

You are required to take plenty of overtime hours

Advice to Management

At least make an attempt to rebuild your relationship with your employees. They are knowledgeable about aspects of your company that you need to fix or improve.