SGN Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Currently team manager"

Current Employee - EMS Manager in England, AR
    Current Employee - EMS Manager in England, AR

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

# Pension,
    # over time
    # lots of training for field staff
    # good apprenticeship scheme

Cons

Senior management always interfering, no real career progression, big difference in payscales between D & C business for doing the same job

Advice to Management

Let your managers manage

2. "SGN a great company (being held back)"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

My job is varied and very rewarding, the pay is fair with the option to work overtime, I have a very decent pension to look forward to. SGN is a forward looking company with an open and honest attitude, always looking for ways to improve. There is plenty of opportunity to further your career within the company.

Cons

Some co-workers bring nothing but negativity to the work environment, moaning about the their basic pay, holiday entitlement, basically they moan about everything in their contract, a contract that they agreed to work before joining SGN, if the T & C's are so bad why do they stay ? The reality is they probably would get employment any where else that gave them the same earning potential and job security. There is also an issue with a few members of staff claiming they are being victimised and threatening to put in a grievance just because they are questioned overwork related incidents.

Advice to Management

Support the employees that serve the company well and weed out the few that always seem to want to rock the boat.

Apr 17, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Many thanks for your recent review. As you commented, we’re always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us do just that.

Like you say, it’s important that we recognise valuable... More

3. "Safe job"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Lots of progression available. Can start with no qualifications in lots of jobs. Great people to work with.

Cons

Animosity from workforce to managers. Lots of unhappiness about pay.

Advice to Management

Push for better pay

Apr 16, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for leaving a review. We agree that there are lots of opportunities for hard-working employees to progress and we encourage efforts for self-development that benefit our people and company... More

4. "Leading the way"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for SGN is great. There are many opportunities for those who wish to progress within the company. The staff are highly valued and there are many ways to get rewarded for going above and beyond. SGN are leading the way in innovation.

Cons

I don't have a bad word to say about working for SGN

Jan 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear you enjoy working for SGN and we hope your SGN journey continues to be a positive one.

5. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Facilities in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly staff, Great opportunity to advance in your career. Great benefits.

Cons

office is right next to a main road on a corner

Advice to Management

more communication

Jan 31, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for sharing your experiences of working at SGN. It’s great to hear that you enjoy working here and value our people and benefits.

Internal communications can be challenging for any... More

"Good job, Poor company"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy the job. Good variety of work. Good job security. Good team spirit within the department. Not much else to be honest.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits. Big divide in company terms and conditions. No one listens to your opinion. Guys out on the ground are not trusted and many managers use bully boy tactics to get there own way.

Advice to Management

Listen to your field workers instead of ignoring them. A decent benefits package, instead of the Mickey Mouse benefit package thats on offer at the moment. Pay the going rate and treat staff well, then you have a good company.

Feb 21, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It’s great to hear that you enjoy your job and team spirit is high.

We’re committed to continuous improvement and acting on feedback where we can... More

"A company only interested in profit and its shareholders"

Former Employee - FCO in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - FCO in London, England (UK)

I worked at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provides a regular wage, which can be really good if you work every hour god sends

Cons

Unhealthy working hours, no chance of progression unless your face fits, aggressive management, every moment of every day watched and scrutinized, decades of experience goes unrecognized

Advice to Management

treat the workers on the ground (the most important asset you have) with respect and improve pay and working hours

Feb 8, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thank you for your review. It’s always disappointing to hear negative feedback, but we value and consider all reviews as we look to keep improving our workplace.

We’re making lots of changes in... More

8. "Finance"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

A stable environment, that allows for progression.

Cons

Overall benefits package is poor compared to competitors.

Nov 30, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Hopefully you’ve watched Kate’s feature on SGNApp, called In the Hot Seat. In the video, Kate mentions the ‘big ten’ HR things that we’re addressing (in... More

"Undervalued and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Engineer in Southampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Southampton, England (UK)

I have been working at SGN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are a few good things; not working away and the staff in the department are good bunch of blokes.

Cons

I have been working here for a while and every year it has got worse, the pay is ridiculous for people doing the same job is £6000 difference. I’ve had enough of being underpaid and under valued. Other companies that are doing the same job have a £6000 higher basics.

Advice to Management

Start realising that you need to improve pay, terms and conditions before it’s too late.

Feb 7, 2018 – Employee Experience Officer

Thanks for leaving a review. We value feedback and like to respond to all reviews so apologies for the delay.

Teamwork is always a positive theme in our employee opinion surveys so it’s nice to... More

"Good company and people but some HR improvements needed"

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Good people and very supportive. If you are a good worker you have a job for life.

Cons

Some departments are very bad with salary progression and putting you in the correct salary bands for your role which can be disheartening to say the least.

Advice to Management

If you ask someone to do a job at a higher salary range it should be made official and you should be paid accordingly, not still begging for the title and the salary over a year later!

Nov 22, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your posting your review. You’re right about the people at SGN, great people and strong teamwork is a consistent positive theme from our employee engagement surveys. It’s our people that... More