SGS Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SGS CEO Frankie NG
Frankie NG

Pros
  • great work-life balance, very relaxed management (in 11 reviews)

• Fast paced work environment, Critical thinking and problem solving skills utilized daily, Team environment, (in 15 reviews)

1. "Nothing to see here"

I have been working at SGS full-time

Pros

People are friendly, literally no other benefit

Cons

The level of dysfunction is astounding

Advice to Management

Please learn basic management skills for your employees sake, you are doing them a disservice

2. "Shipping/Receiving"

I have been working at SGS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company bought our smaller company.
    Honored most of time off with old company

Cons

Can't get payroll figured out with insurance taken out of check.
    Really slow transition to new company.

Advice to Management

Cant advance to management don't have a degree. Can't move anywhere because of this.

"Auto inspector.. until I can find another job"

Current Employee - Off Lease Inspector in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Off Lease Inspector in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SGS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good coming from this company... period! Extremely top heavy, and unprofessional

Cons

Everything! This is the worst, most unorganised, cheapest place I have ever worked. Instead of finding ways to make the job easier, they focus on starving their employees and stealing from them. You destroy your car and they steal all your reimbursement mileage. They dont allow time for lunch and overload your schedule. No raise in the last 3 years, and about 5 dollars too low pay...they make you put crazy miles on your car, and don't pay for anything. Save yourself the headache and just DON'T....

Advice to Management

Get rid of all managers and pay your inspectors to manage themselves.

"SGS bought our company and then laid us all off"

Former Employee - Environmental Analytical Chemist in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Environmental Analytical Chemist in Worcester, MA

I worked at SGS (More than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility in the scheduling was the main reason I stayed. However, my schedule was established before SGS took over.

Cons

Employees are overworked and underpaid. If you're looking for opportunity for advancement, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic expectations of your employees. It is fair to want your employees to work hard and efficiently but it is very difficult to do that when you lay off a significant amount of help. Analysts are human, not machines.

"Only good if you want to see if this is a career path you want to pursue."

I worked at SGS full-time

Pros

- Good entry level position to see if this is the career path you want. If like it, build some experience and get out.

- The people at my branch were good to work with. Except upper management.

Cons

-Extremely poor pay.

-Promises by management are never kept. I worked for an Accutest branch they purchased and they promised to add money back into our labs and they never did. They brought in someone that said he specialized in automation but we never saw or heard from him again. A new example of this pops up every few weeks.

-Safety was not a primary concern.

-No real upwards mobility at all.

-Incredibly poor communication between upper management and everyone else. They would constantly try to talk circles around you.

-Bad benefits.

Advice to Management

Talk to and listen to your employees. I could add a few more things but you never listened when these problems were brought up numerous times in the past.

7. "I was a 1800 Dock Operator for 4 years."

Former Employee - DOCKMAN 1800 in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - DOCKMAN 1800 in Pasadena, TX

I worked at SGS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and customers or plant personnel were easy to get along with...good references to move up in industry.

Cons

The Pasadena location wasnt friendly and management and supervisor's in dock group lacked respect for dockman...not easy to move up in company due to management holding you back for personal reasons from opportunities...pay raise freeze and high benefits

Advice to Management

Opportunity for employees growth; advancement in pay; respect all employees; management and employees needs to be trained on people skills and communications; upper management needs to review and be more involved. Value the customers opinion/recognition of SGS staff..if customer recognizes employee hardwork SGS should too.

"Soul Sucking"

Former Employee - Inspector in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Inspector in Washington, DC

I worked at SGS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much but if you need a job you need a job

Cons

Low pay
    Poor benefits
    High Turnover
    If you are equipped to be an inspector there are better companies to work for. Many from my training class have already left and moved to AIM. Don't expect similar pay to turning a wrench. No one is happy here. Your job is short term.

Advice to Management

Policies in Europe don't match the US. Your lack of innovation is going to crush this company. You are dead weight and are losing influence in the US. Go back to the EU. Stop ruining lives.

"Chaotic and unprofessional"

Current Employee - Automotive Inspector
    Current Employee - Automotive Inspector

I have been working at SGS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to work at your own pace. There are no other pros for this company. Don't waste your time with SGS mind games and manipulation.

Cons

I could write a book!

Low payout for reimbursement as well as salary for this job. You give the company up to 50 miles in commute before you begin being compensated for milage. The upper management is a joke! Full of rude people who care only about their jobs. Massive company changes still going on leaving employees out of work with no pay. They refuse to admit shortfalls and abuse their employees for a profit only corporate will see. Oh and not to mention the LIES, CONFUSION and MANIPULATION with each day

Advice to Management

Change your management team up. I've NEVER had so many problems with upper management . I would also take a different approach in compensation for employees so they aren't being robbed. The training here needs serious help and there needs to be some since of organization here.

10. "Call Center Customer Service"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Get paid until you find another job then move from there as fast as you can.

Cons

Poor management, poor communication, no bonuses, no real cost-of-living raises, biggest turnover that I have ever seen anyplace else, constant almost physical fights with the other departments,etc etc etc.......

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, stop treating them like garbage disposal

11. "Ha! Haha! Hahaha!"

I have been working at SGS full-time

Pros

Get paid to learn, then move on quickly.

Cons

At best 2% pay raise once every 2-3 years. Poor management, poor communication, no bonuses, no real cost-of-living raises, no merit raises, lots of turnover, no consistency.