SGS Reviews | Glassdoor

SGS Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great work-life balance, very relaxed management (in 12 reviews)

• Fast paced work environment, Critical thinking and problem solving skills utilized daily, Team environment, (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible work environment due to mgmt plus extremely low pay (in 25 reviews)

• Lack of respect from the upper management (in 18 reviews)

"Surveyor"

Current Employee - Texas in Deer Park, TX
    Current Employee - Texas in Deer Park, TX

I have been working at SGS (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of micromanagement most of the time and you can work a lot of overtime if you want it.

Cons

It will take an act of Congress to get a raise. If you don't say anything about it, they won't either. They will change your schedule or shift if it benefits them. Management changes often. There hasn't been a field manager longer than 2 years and the shortest has been about 6 months. As long as you don't screw up too bad you'll always have a job. You won't be rich... But you'll be working.

Advice to Management

C.O.L.A! Cost of living adjustment! Give your people a raise just for spending time at your company! You say that you pay based on experience... As long as that experience is not at SGS. Find a way to pay your good employees better than your bad ones. It's called value! Understand it.

2. "system test engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at SGS full-time

Pros

fabulous work environment, wonderful colleagues and great work life balance.

Cons

Not much growth and opportunity to move up the corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

Keep people motivated by offering better growth opportunities.

"SGS bought our company and then laid us all off"

Former Employee - Environmental Analytical Chemist in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Environmental Analytical Chemist in Worcester, MA

I worked at SGS (More than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility in the scheduling was the main reason I stayed. However, my schedule was established before SGS took over.

Cons

Employees are overworked and underpaid. If you're looking for opportunity for advancement, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic expectations of your employees. It is fair to want your employees to work hard and efficiently but it is very difficult to do that when you lay off a significant amount of help. Analysts are human, not machines.

"No work contracts for NDT work"

Current Employee - NDT II in Broken Arrow, OK
    Current Employee - NDT II in Broken Arrow, OK

I have been working at SGS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits for health and life insurance

Cons

No work available and supervisors don't care. 50 people are sitting at home and they don't answer the phone and if they do they just say there isn't any contracts available so there is high turnover and they act like they can't understand it. They are getting paid and they don't care that the employees that actually do the work aren't getting paid. They promise they are setting up training for advancement in the company. That is always cancelled too. It is a no win situation.

Advice to Management

Employees can't work a couple months out of the year and be happy and able to support their families. At least act like you are concerned about your employees and make an attempt to keep them working.

"Great family oriented company with potential."

Current Employee - Tank Truck Inspector in Hahnville, LA
    Current Employee - Tank Truck Inspector in Hahnville, LA

I have been working at SGS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and grow if you're looking to get your foot in the door to work in a refinery.
    Good benefits, decent pay, good health insurance

Cons

Long hours. Training program was also poorly constructed. I have a newly individual trying to train me while he doesn't know the job completely

Advice to Management

For the most part you're doing great. Just keep in mind where you first started.

"SGS Accutest Employee"

Current Employee - Extraction Technician in Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Extraction Technician in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at SGS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are really great people. They are all willing to help you learn and grow at the company and as a person.

Cons

My hands have the skin ripped off of them every day in order to do the work. The pace is relentless in second shift, and you can expect to have at least some overtime every day. However, day shift is much more relaxed and has a significantly reduced volume of work. DCM readily pierces nitrile gloves and stings like needles piercing your skin. The pay is minimal and increases every time your increase your knowledge but, that still doesn't make the pay feasible for living on one's own until after 1 to 1.5 years of working at the company. Finally, for me, the drive, 1 hour and 20 minutes, makes working here almost the only thing I do Monday through Friday.

Advice to Management

Try to do what the second shift employees have to in order to complete the work in 1 day, and realize that there is too high of a workload almost every day.

"Soul Sucking"

Former Employee - Inspector in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Inspector in Washington, DC

I worked at SGS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much but if you need a job you need a job

Cons

Low pay
    Poor benefits
    High Turnover
    If you are equipped to be an inspector there are better companies to work for. Many from my training class have already left and moved to AIM. Don't expect similar pay to turning a wrench. No one is happy here. Your job is short term.

Advice to Management

Policies in Europe don't match the US. Your lack of innovation is going to crush this company. You are dead weight and are losing influence in the US. Go back to the EU. Stop ruining lives.

"I was a 1800 Dock Operator for 4 years."

Former Employee - DOCKMAN 1800 in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - DOCKMAN 1800 in Pasadena, TX

I worked at SGS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and customers or plant personnel were easy to get along with...good references to move up in industry.

Cons

The Pasadena location wasnt friendly and management and supervisor's in dock group lacked respect for dockman...not easy to move up in company due to management holding you back for personal reasons from opportunities...pay raise freeze and high benefits

Advice to Management

Opportunity for employees growth; advancement in pay; respect all employees; management and employees needs to be trained on people skills and communications; upper management needs to review and be more involved. Value the customers opinion/recognition of SGS staff..if customer recognizes employee hardwork SGS should too.

"Call Center Customer Service"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Get paid until you find another job then move from there as fast as you can.

Cons

Poor management, poor communication, no bonuses, no real cost-of-living raises, biggest turnover that I have ever seen anyplace else, constant almost physical fights with the other departments,etc etc etc.......

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, stop treating them like garbage disposal

10. "Field Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SGS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work alone, nobody over your shoulder, OK pay, weekends off, good benefits, travel to nice places.

Cons

Weather, traffic, car takes a beating, schedule routes sometimes don't make sense.

Advice to Management

Offer pay incentives for goals, extra pay to travel and train.