SHI International Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
Cons
  • Depending on the position, there may be no room for growth (in 10 reviews)

• You needed to be part of the "in crowd" with upper management (in 16 reviews)

1. "software specialist"

Current Employee - Licensing Operations Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Licensing Operations Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, great managers

Cons

low pay, low pay, low pay

2. "Great company to work"

Current Employee - Accountant in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work and grow

Cons

The compensation to employee is too little

"Takes advantage of recent grads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are fantastic. Really the only decent thing about compensation. Medical, dental, FSA, vision, etc.

Cons

They take advantage of recent grads looking for a "foot in the door." Stress levels are through the roof; there is extensive mandatory overtime that they do not warn you about in the interview, salary is a pittance considering the workload and intensive training, and we do not earn commission so there is no motivation to completing all the insane work that we're expected to do.

Advice to Management

You might want to consider WHY you have an outrageous turnover rate and consider the cause of the multiple emotional breakdowns that employees have been experiencing.

5. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seemingly Nice Place to Work! From the outside only! Ambitious Company that wants to be like Google.

Cons

Once you get in the door, you'll feel the coldness and how energy draining the place really is. The benefits are not great. They demand overtime constantly. They don't provide any in-house training. They have numerous software vendors including Microsoft that can provide free training but yet they don't offer it. Salaries are much lower than the average. No bonus for regular employees, unless you count the lousy pen they gave one Christmas. The place is not have professional business environment. It feels more like a blue collar warehouse. Employees are constantly using curse words in the office, guys talking about personal problems with girlfriends, and too much physical playing by opposite sex employees. The president's only motivation is to become the next billionaire at the employees' expense. During bad weather they never close, but rather force the employees to use their own personal time. I'll finish by saying that during Hurricane Sandy they didn't close for business, they only opened late. Enough said! Horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Let go of all upper management, including the president. Become a publicly traded company and offer better stock options to employees.

6. "Great place to get started"

Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get started. SHI is an extremely well organized company. The training process is among the best I have experienced. Very fun culture, friendly coworkers.

Cons

High Expectations, Marginalized Performance Rewards, minimal room for growth, ZERO work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Further develop Sales roles within the organization. Allow employees with families to occasionally work from home.

7. "A place to make money"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Having a global presence allows a salesperson to leverage the US ranking

Cons

In the UK a big company with a small minded attitude, if you are not IN with management you may struggle to play on equal playing field.

Advice to Management

Have more structured and fairer recognition of achievements and award

"Former SM SLED IAE and not HR"

Former Employee - SM SLED IAE in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - SM SLED IAE in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much, some free food and the people you work with but that has nothing to do with the company, along with the mind numbing easy work.

Cons

Horrible managers, extremely underpaid, constant blame being thrown on you for bad territories. Lack of common sense. SHI was shown as a fun place to work and they lure you in with a "hip" training class and how they will teach you what you need to know. But the bottom line is they do this because they pay you almost nothing. You will clear roughly 800 dollars every two weeks "depending on if you get health insurance with them" and you will only make money if you are put in a good area or if a long time rep quits and you get their accounts. I wasn't going to post a review on here but HR would always tell us that they where fixing their glass door problem and I've noticed an uptick in good reviews that are obvious lies. If you live at home, need a year of experience for a job while you look for a job. Work at SHI. But do not come in thinking you will be able to make a life out of it. They will tell you how peiple have worked here for 10 years and love it. And sure, those positions pay well, but you will be the bottom of the totem pole and not make anything. And you will get mocked and laughed at if you ask to move to a higher position based on arbitrary numbers.

Be careful, I left SHI on good terms and have made many freinds through the company, but their lies and the amount of work per money you make needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Fire your managers and hire the people who have been on the sales floor and watch how SMSLED leader handles situations.

"I hate it here"

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, No Dress Code, Fun Team Builds and Free food. Hey try and suck you in with the free food but it's all a hoax and make sure you get your sales up if not your out

Cons

I feel like I'm in high school and the managers are horrible, the company is very clicky and if you don't get on the managers good side the don't even act like you are there

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and make it at least look like you care.

10. "Awesome start in sales!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job to start a career in sales. Young and energetic environment. The work itself is really not that difficult as long as you aren't extremely lazy (which some people are). TONS of free food and give aways. This may seem like not a big deal but trust me you miss this when you are buying lunch for $10 a piece everyday. Work life balance is also great fantastic.

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. I saw some managers who didn't care as much as others. I was fortunate enough my manager knew how to motivate us and get the most out of us.

Advice to Management

Allow for more advancement of top performers.

11. "Look elsewhere to got paid better"

Current Employee - Returns Clerk in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Returns Clerk in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home. New facility. Nice coworkers. Easy job to learn.

Cons

Foul mouthed manager that uses profanity in emails. Repetitive work. No room to advance. Dealing with dim sales reps.

Advice to Management

Hire better, more respectable managers.