SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to work & great culture (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the position, there may be no room for growth (in 11 reviews)

• You needed to be part of the "in crowd" with upper management (in 18 reviews)

"Incredible opportunity awaits..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

SHI is an incredible place to begin and nurture your sales career - there is a true commitment to inspiring, developing and organizing sales people as they embark on their careers, often times right out of college. There is a sense of community at SHI as many of the sellers are young and work together but also spend time together outside the office as well. It is a place that respects potential within young talent and all of senior leadership wants to promote first from within. The average tenure within SHI is well over five years, especially those sellers who have been a part of Thai Lee's organization since the beginning in 1989. There is the potential to build true wealth by working for SHI and Thai Lee has always committed to making sure the sales people are paid handsomely for their efforts. The thing about SHI is not only a wonderful place to work, but also an incredible place to learn skills that you can replicate in roles across the tech industry. Additionally SHI has made a commitment to evolve as the technology industry evolves at a rapid pace and that has ensured a continued value offering for customers as they navigate the murky waters of how to select, deploy and manage their technology environment.

Cons

There are no obvious cons, but at times the pace of work can overwhelm the younger employees. It is something that you get used to very quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the career and learning development focus. Remember that people are the most important asset and nurturing talent within all employees is integral to a lasting legacy. Caring for employees is not necessarily a requirement for the success of a sales organization, but I do believe it ensures retention of the best employees and promotes a sense of fulfillment and purpose across any workplace. Empathy is a powerful motivator!

2. "Good Opportunity"

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth, and potential to make money!

Cons

Expected to work extra hours

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great young people, good culture, good benefits, nice work- life balance (mostly b/c they don't want to pay overtime), strong job security. I've honestly never seen or heard of someone getting fired.

Cons

Low pay for this industry, no chances to earn overtime, very low growth potential. Few chances to move up. The system is designed for high turnover.

Advice to Management

Do more to retain talent instead of constant hiring, get rid of bad employees, allow more work from home days.

5. "Accounts Payable Specialist"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Representative in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is laid back, no micro managing, and not a job you have to take home with you. It is not stressful.

Cons

They pay, benefits, and PTO could be improved. Management should do a better job of motivating employees to do good work.

6. "IAE"

Former Employee - IAE in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IAE in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get your foot in the door and learn essential sales skills

Cons

Can be difficult to bring in big commission checks based on the account set you have to work with

"Great company, fantastic opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

making our customer's lives easier
    building relationships with customers
    Good culture
    growth, growth, growth
    ability to run your own business

Cons

too many metrics (metrics on how you're doing on metrics crosses the line)

Internal IT is really bad, they genuinely make everyone's job more difficult than it needs to be.

CRM is not useful, wastes a lot of time

shi.com is a really bad website

Marketing team is not very good at marketing, but great at hosting SHI events

Advice to Management

keep up the constant improvement but maintain the culture that makes this such a great place to work.

Invest in better IT support and tools. On a daily basis I am surprised by how many people have IT problems but none of them are ever addressed- crappy laptops, outlook issues and CRM all need fixing.

8. "Decent Entry Level Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is fun. Generally college grads so for the most part it's laidback with music blasting, people riding scooters, nerf guns, etc. That makes working enjoyable. I really liked my manager, and for the most part, the managers are understanding and do really want you to succeed. There are fun social events every month and it's really neat meeting vendors and collaborating with them. Also, their training is top notch. It really prepares you for not only sales here, but anywhere really.

Cons

Base pay is not that good...There are some office politics among the higher-ups and there are favorite reps and managers. Upper management resides on the territory sales floor, but my team was rarely visited by any upper management personnel and we were void of any of their input. Also, gossip spreads like wildfire, be careful. There is a high-turnover rate. People were "leaving" after putting in anywhere from a few months to a couple years.

Advice to Management

Be more attentive towards territory sales. I know in a sense we're disposable, but it would be nice to actually not feel it.

9. "Not many oppurtunities for Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, good benefits.

Cons

No room for growth in accounting department & starting salary is really low

10. "Inside Account Manager"

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, for me, is amazing. People are genuinely friendly on a large scale & it is not uncommon to receive a smile or friendly head nod just while walking to the elevator or kitchen.

Dress code is casual which I love because some Mondays after a long weekend, you just want to throw on jeans and sneakers and run out the door. I don't think one should test their luck (every team is different) but jeans and a Polo will do just fine here (Ladies please translate your equivalent lol).

Overall great vibes here. There is corporate workplace drama like everywhere else and I've seen/heard the whispers that go on, but it' in no way sets the tone or negatively influences the overall atmosphere much. If you're not about that you'll barely notice it.

Cons

World Class Customer service turns into some sort of perverted obsession when they expect employees to come in during blizzards and such. Relax. Its not worth the risk to your life or well being to travel to work unless your work is saving other lives (i.e) Nurses, doctors, fireman, EMT, police officers, etc. We're not saving the world lol.

Low Pay. This is my biggest gripe. The company makes way to much money and making more ever year by relatively large percentages. We work in tech so we should be up on the times. In 2017, no one working in this field should be making less than 50k per year. SHI starts you around 30 for this position.

Advice to Management

Pay Better
    Value employees more than customers and partners (not the equally). Your employees will value the customers- they are the representative anyway.

Do this and this place will be ranked on best places to work in the country.

11. "No motivation to excel"

Former Employee - ISAM in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - ISAM in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a career

Cons

No motivation if you are the ISAM to work harder. Especially when the Account Executives not only get paid higher but make more than double the commission for any deal.