SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Free food on occasion from Vendors (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• low pay, not much incentive to work hard unless in sales (in 20 reviews)

1. "Evolving with the IT landscape"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to be now as it is consistently changing and evolving with the market that we are in. They have been putting a larger focus on recruitment lately and raising the bar on the talent that we are bringing in to work here. If you are looking for a place where they value hard work and independence- this is your place.

You need your work ethic, attitude, and effort to be above the normal to thrive! Don't expect to sit around and do the minimum metrics and make 6 figures. I was an IAE for two and a half years and I worked hard and made amazing money. I stayed late and treated my customers well and went above and beyond. We expect the same thing.

Join us if you think you are ready to raise the bar on customer experience.

Cons

People expect this job to be easy and for it to not take time. Put in the work to be successful and you will be. Stick around and give it time.

Advice to Management

Learn what your reps are learning and know your strengths.

2. "Lots of busy work and doesn't give you any real marketable skills to put on a resume."

Former Employee - Microsoft Contract Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Microsoft Contract Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great. It's a younger crowd so it's easy to make friends and can be very laid back.

Cons

Management can micromanage, they don't trust you at all. They constantly talk about how they're a 7 billion dollar company and yet they pay you squat.

"SHI transformed from my "first job" to my Career."

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

I joined SHI 5+ years ago as a recent college graduate with zero background in technology. I had no aspirations of working in tech sales and figured that this role would be a stepping stone to something bigger and better elsewhere. 5 years later, I am still at SHI and have never once considered leaving. I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist and am highly competitive, and SHI created a platform for me to effectively run my own business, leveraging hundreds of internal and external resources to grow my business and my brand. Senior leadership is highly engaged in the day to day business but provides me the freedom to execute my business in the way that aligns best with my personality and values.

SHI is growing so quickly that there are always job openings across the country and consistent opportunities for promotion. SHI is also a huge proponent of promotion from within the company.

Much like any role that is competitive and requires a strong work ethic and a positive attitude, people that do not share these values will not be successful at SHI. SHi is working to create a strong, uplifting culture focused on ongoing education and big-time internal growth. We are riding the tech bubble and are getting paid ridiculously well to do so. You get out of this job exactly what you put into it and if you walk into work every day with a positive attitude and a desire to learn and work hard, you will be successful here.

Cons

SHI is growing so quickly and working to address so many challenges across the IT landscape that employees are eagerly awaiting the addition of more internal technical resources. In such a dynamic landscape like IT, the main challenge is trying to be the expert in everything - I think we are getting there, but of course we all (selfishly) would like to be there today!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on education, communication and fostering a positive, fun culture of Sales Professionals. Professionalism is key and it only takes 1 SHI employee to shape the way that an entire company or partner views SHI, so hiring the right people is extremely important for our reputation across the industry.

"Anyone else tired of your commission being stolen, deducted and overcharged for company expenses?"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks like a good company from the outside. There are many skeletons in this company closet.

Cons

SHI WILL STEAL YOUR COMMISSIONS on regular monthly basis! This company forces sales reps to take on company costs, the risks of being a business and will do or make any sort of deduction from your earned commission which they feel entitled to make. Your charged monthly interest fees on several company expenses even if you were NEVER compensated initially. Unpaid customer invoices at the revenue amount billed to a vendor not the GM which you were paid out on (if you were paid) Customer invoices from years before you even had the account even if you were never paid on the invoice & regardless of the GM earned.

Any equipment sent from distribution into the warehouse for storage, YOU pay the company (SHI) a freight charge by your own warehouse (can easily be over $5,000 mth or more) which deducts from GM total monthly earnings.

You have NO visibility into the ordering systems nor the 'orders' that your being deducted for but they will proudly show the deductions on your monthly commission statement. If your storing equipment at the warehouse for a customer & NOT charging customer for it (ie. it doesn't hit your GM #'s to get u paid) You will pay 2% of the purchase price every month after 60 days. If you have ongoing business needing to store millions $'s of equipment at warehouse regularly you can be deducted anywhere from $10K up to $60K (no limit threshold) against your earned GM on other accounts at 2% of the revenue purchase price. If equipment is at warehouse for a while, customer never accepts it, you can VERY easily pay more than price of equipment at purchase price dollar amount. After 2 or 3 yrs, you forced to get rid of it, your deducted for 100% of the purchase price even if your paid interest fees covered costs higher than purchase price.

They will state in your offer SHI to supply your admin Inside Sales support, but monthly after your GM is calculated based on your commission %, you'll pay a % for your support team depending on the amount they earned that month. Ex. If you have 2 reps and each account, you directly pay out of your commission numbers from you NET salary which ranges from $300-$600 per mth. If your not paying attention you can be overcharged more Inside Reps than you have. Good luck being reimbursed.

You will pay for your customers licensing monthly if they use any of our internal support. This can add up to $1000 or more monthly against your commissions.

Your SPIFFS from OEM's might be taken from you and given to your management or VP on regular basis.

If they want, they'll deducted from Net pay for other team members to get a bonus out of your payroll earnings.

These deductions 'monthly interests or other fees' won't ever be consistent and in one commission payroll, you could get hit retro for prior 5,6, 7 or 8 months etc.

They will deduct WHATEVER and WHENEVER they desire and don't ya dare ask why because the answers are convoluted & unclear. Of course NONE of this is laid out in any commission plan structure to you, nor do you know about deductions they take until it's done to your payroll.

Your numbers are split and charged with sometimes up to 10 different individuals.
    Every team is different, some better than others whom don't get some of these types of deductions. If your a good sales rep, they WILL find a way to keep more of your earnings bottom line.

There are MANY more instances of how they will charge & steal out of their sales reps pockets, trust me I've lived it.

I know for a fact they do this to MANY past & current employees. It's no wonder why their 'Annual Growth rates' are so high or what others find extremely impressive. They will play favorites to those employees who've been with company over 10 or more years, I've seen many examples of this also.

SHI thinks they are untouchable and has got away with stealing from their employees for years because no one does anything about it or just quits the company. This MUST end! I encourage discussions & will provide evidence of this being the TRUTH.

Oh and why does the company not charge the customers Sales Tax? This seems rather odd to me.

Advice to Management

Stop stealing and deducting money from your sales reps who have earned for your business. Employees have families to support too, not just there to make your company Billions of dollars. Take on your own business liabilities and stop making your employees take on the risks associated with your company. End the unscrupulous behavior of stealing from employees & pay your employees what they earn fairly.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for especially if you're starting out from college - great opportunity to grow in leadership and company promotes from within. Lots of vendor gifts, cool toys, yearly raises & holiday bonus. Trips & amazing perks for top sales reps. Can choose work hours from 6:30-3:30 to 11-8p (late hours usually gets 3k bonus)

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on your team and your manager. Two different people at SHI can have two vastly different experiences. Some managers micromanage, teams can suck, lots of office politics and sometimes you have young immature managers since SHI hires a lot of kids straight from college. 9 hour work days (no paid lunch).

Advice to Management

Allow anonymous feedback of management during yearly reviews.

"Great starting point for IT sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, young employees, free lunches, happy hours, various events. Even better is they provide exceptional and hands on training with sales techniques as well as learning a large variety of manufacturers and technologies. Great management.

Cons

Base is miserably low for the amount of work you put in. Earning potential is there, but there is an absolute grind to get there and extensive ramp up period. Huge emphasis on metrics no matter how well you are performing.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary and the turnover rate will not be as high. Good job on being attentive to employees to prevent this, but people need to eat and Austin is expensive. There is a certain hyper male Director in Territory that oozes a two-faced feel. These may be a bunch of college graduates, but people are perceptive of him saying one thing and meaning something else. Be direct with people. We can have fun, but at the end of the day, this is a job. Or hire more qualified people.

"Incredible opportunity awaits..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

SHI is an incredible place to begin and nurture your sales career - there is a true commitment to inspiring, developing and organizing sales people as they embark on their careers, often times right out of college. There is a sense of community at SHI as many of the sellers are young and work together but also spend time together outside the office as well. It is a place that respects potential within young talent and all of senior leadership wants to promote first from within. The average tenure within SHI is well over five years, especially those sellers who have been a part of Thai Lee's organization since the beginning in 1989. There is the potential to build true wealth by working for SHI and Thai Lee has always committed to making sure the sales people are paid handsomely for their efforts. The thing about SHI is not only a wonderful place to work, but also an incredible place to learn skills that you can replicate in roles across the tech industry. Additionally SHI has made a commitment to evolve as the technology industry evolves at a rapid pace and that has ensured a continued value offering for customers as they navigate the murky waters of how to select, deploy and manage their technology environment.

Cons

There are no obvious cons, but at times the pace of work can overwhelm the younger employees. It is something that you get used to very quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the career and learning development focus. Remember that people are the most important asset and nurturing talent within all employees is integral to a lasting legacy. Caring for employees is not necessarily a requirement for the success of a sales organization, but I do believe it ensures retention of the best employees and promotes a sense of fulfillment and purpose across any workplace. Empathy is a powerful motivator!

"Lacks Structure, Beginning to become corporate"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive (Northeast) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive (Northeast) in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches
    Free swag
    Not much else

Cons

Base salary is low
    Transitioned accounts are not good prospects or leads because accounts have gone through a lot of employee turnover
    "Bro" culture - that's subjective, but I'm not into the fraternity and sorority life

9. "Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and people, opportunity to travel to customer sites, many perks (gift cards, free lunches), flexible schedule.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth, low pay for the volume of work, office politics.

"Inside Account Executive Position"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The positives of Shi that I am about to list are the same ones that have already been listed by pretty much every other reviewer on here....

- Good benefits
    - Excellent training
    - High energy in the office
    - Constant free lunches and SWAG from vendors
    - Happy hours and free drinks once a month
    - Constantly have company employee events (Spurs games, field days, etc. )
    - Multiple free dinners/happy hour drinks during first month of training

First month on the job during training is definitely the greatest. Everyone seems so nice and welcoming, then the job hits you like a rock the second you get put out on the floor........and you quickly begin to realize how sketchy and scandolous Shi really is.

Cons

There are definitely more cons than there are pros at Shi so let me begin....

- THEY DO NOT VALUE THEIR EMPLOYEES
    Why do you think the turnover rate is CRAZY high???? You are just a # there, and you will be treated like just a #.

- THE BASE SALARY IS A JOKE
    They take people with little to no experience because they don't want to have to pay them. If they tell you you are going to make 60k+ your first year with commission laugh in their face because they are LYING.

- FAVORATISM IS BADDDDD
    If upper management loves you then you will be able to get away with murder, but if they don't like you, or don't have a strong opinion about you, you can get fired for being late to work twice. Think I'm kidding? Go find out for yourself. It is BAD. I don't know of any other company that fires employees as easily as Shi. Idk who would want to work for a company that they have to go into work every single day wondering if they are still going to have their job or not.

- HIGH TURNOVER RATE
    This falls into everything else I've listed so far. The turnover rate is ridiculously high, and there's a reason for it. It's because Shi treats their employees like they're so easily replaceable, and guess what? YOU ARE EASILY REPLACEABLE AT SHI. As soon as you complete your training, there's a whole other training class of 20+ college grads coming in that could easily take your place.

- STRAIGHT COLD CALLING
    I know cold calling is in the job description, and you have a pretty clear understanding on what you're getting yourself into, but the job is still pretty rough. You will be calling into accounts that have been called into for years, and your success is solely based on the team you're placed in and the accounts that are handed to you.

If your dream is to sell HW & SW by cold calling into small businesses across the Country then Shi is the place for you!
    Seriously, I do not recommend this place to anyone unless if you are really having a hard time finding a first job right out of college.
    If you truly have some talent in inside sales, and love technology, apply at Dell or Intel! Your talents and efforts will actually be valued there, and having Dell on your resume looks better anyways.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is ridiculous. Maybe you should try to find out why.