SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Free food on occasion from Vendors (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay for this industry, no chances to earn overtime, very low growth potential (in 19 reviews)

"Lacks Structure, Beginning to become corporate"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive (Northeast) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive (Northeast) in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches
    Free swag
    Not much else

Cons

Base salary is low
    Transitioned accounts are not good prospects or leads because accounts have gone through a lot of employee turnover
    "Bro" culture - that's subjective, but I'm not into the fraternity and sorority life

"Inside Account Executive Position"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The positives of Shi that I am about to list are the same ones that have already been listed by pretty much every other reviewer on here....

- Good benefits
    - Excellent training
    - High energy in the office
    - Constant free lunches and SWAG from vendors
    - Happy hours and free drinks once a month
    - Constantly have company employee events (Spurs games, field days, etc. )
    - Multiple free dinners/happy hour drinks during first month of training

First month on the job during training is definitely the greatest. Everyone seems so nice and welcoming, then the job hits you like a rock the second you get put out on the floor........and you quickly begin to realize how sketchy and scandolous Shi really is.

Cons

There are definitely more cons than there are pros at Shi so let me begin....

- THEY DO NOT VALUE THEIR EMPLOYEES
    Why do you think the turnover rate is CRAZY high???? You are just a # there, and you will be treated like just a #.

- THE BASE SALARY IS A JOKE
    They take people with little to no experience because they don't want to have to pay them. If they tell you you are going to make 60k+ your first year with commission laugh in their face because they are LYING.

- FAVORATISM IS BADDDDD
    If upper management loves you then you will be able to get away with murder, but if they don't like you, or don't have a strong opinion about you, you can get fired for being late to work twice. Think I'm kidding? Go find out for yourself. It is BAD. I don't know of any other company that fires employees as easily as Shi. Idk who would want to work for a company that they have to go into work every single day wondering if they are still going to have their job or not.

- HIGH TURNOVER RATE
    This falls into everything else I've listed so far. The turnover rate is ridiculously high, and there's a reason for it. It's because Shi treats their employees like they're so easily replaceable, and guess what? YOU ARE EASILY REPLACEABLE AT SHI. As soon as you complete your training, there's a whole other training class of 20+ college grads coming in that could easily take your place.

- STRAIGHT COLD CALLING
    I know cold calling is in the job description, and you have a pretty clear understanding on what you're getting yourself into, but the job is still pretty rough. You will be calling into accounts that have been called into for years, and your success is solely based on the team you're placed in and the accounts that are handed to you.

If your dream is to sell HW & SW by cold calling into small businesses across the Country then Shi is the place for you!
    Seriously, I do not recommend this place to anyone unless if you are really having a hard time finding a first job right out of college.
    If you truly have some talent in inside sales, and love technology, apply at Dell or Intel! Your talents and efforts will actually be valued there, and having Dell on your resume looks better anyways.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is ridiculous. Maybe you should try to find out why.

3. "Inside Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lax atmosphere, run your own business

Cons

Exceptionally low base pay, weak market, odd positioning as extension of being a representative for an 'IT reseller' meaning you have very little tangible value as there is no specific product made so customers prerogatives are exceptionally paramount and not a social business environment, most pay depends on spiffs which are direct incentives paid by original equipment manufacturers such as HP, Dell, etc. so yes they have a great business model

Advice to Management

pay more and reps will stay, terminate quicker if need be-your prerogative if reps go/stay, not saying it's imperative for the business to flourish

"Mistake from the beginning"

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free lunches, coworkers are fun, regular happy hours

Cons

Almost every aspect of this job is terrible. I was told during my interview that I would make at least 60k my first year... that was a flat out lie. Salary is 30k your first year.... Living in Austin, Texas with that salary means you will definitely need a second job to make ends meet. How well you do in the role solely depends on what territory you are put into and who your manager is. Non stop cold calling into accounts that have been called on a regular basis for YEARS. 90% of people dread going to work every day. The 10% that love the job are the company favorites that always get their back scratched. Seriously, work anywhere but this place. If cold calling is your favorite thing to do, then you will love this job.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and treat everyone equally.

"Needs serious work"

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young culture, they hire anyone even if you barely passed college.

Cons

They have not raised the base salary for sales in 15+ years. SHI makes little to no effort to value their employees and it is very clear that they do not care about you. There is also clear favoritism happening in sales with people barely at company 14 months getting manager positions. They love to hire hot and fire ugly. College graduates are also severely taken advantage of and I have witnessed comments from upper management that we are "young" and want it all. This is the tactic they use to keep you quiet and avoid having to actually pay or value employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. The attrition rates are off the charts.

"Inside Named Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You start in Territory sales and that's where you should STAY!

For a job based on cold calling, this was an awesome gig. I had gotten to a point where I actually enjoyed coming into work and that was due to an awesome management team, great team of co-workers, and sweet perks. I HATED cold calling but the training here is like no other and I began to master it to a point to where I had received Employee of the Month among other incentives. I'm not a talkative person so that was huge for me.

Inside Territory:
    Many ways to earn money.
    Great relationship building (both internally and externally to the company).
    Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Inside Named:
    After you work your tail off for several months within Territory, SHI will trick you into a "promotion" where you work twice as hard and get paid LESS. You build accounts and strong relationships with customers for months and months in Territory, just to have them ripped away from you when you get said "promotion". Not only do you lose money by dropping strong accounts, but you have to be a jerk and call your customers (some of them considered friends) and tell them that they are going to be transferred out of your book.

Here's a fun example:
    Got the "promotion" and immediately had new quotas to hit (the twice as much work part). Right away I hit the ground running and nailed a long phone interview with a close customer describing their entire 2017 initiative and data center refresh. I immediately received a hefty sale from the phone call, but my new incompetent manager forced me to drop the account before the sale went through and give it to someone back in territory. On top of losing cash in my pocket, I had to call the customer up and tell him, "thanks for an hour of your time yesterday and letting me in on your entire environment, here's your new rep...". The dude was furious. He had just got done telling me AND the manager (because she micro managed and listened in on the phone call) that he hated other resellers because they kept switching reps on him. He told me he's not buying from SHI this year.

This was 1 case out of many during this "promotion". Went from excelling in Territory to starting from scratch in this "promotion".

Last but not least, there are no career opportunities here unless sales is what you're passionate about. You can become a manager and that's the ceiling. Tiny marketing, finance, and other support role teams.

Advice to Management

There's not a single person in territory that wants to go over to Inside Named so instead of tricking us to go over, change the incentives, culture, account transfers, etc etc. There's a hundred things you can do better to bring Inside Named closer to Territory.

"Takes advantage of recent grads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are fantastic. Really the only decent thing about compensation. Medical, dental, FSA, vision, etc.

Cons

They take advantage of recent grads looking for a "foot in the door." Stress levels are through the roof; there is extensive mandatory overtime that they do not warn you about in the interview, salary is a pittance considering the workload and intensive training, and we do not earn commission so there is no motivation to completing all the insane work that we're expected to do.

Advice to Management

You might want to consider WHY you have an outrageous turnover rate and consider the cause of the multiple emotional breakdowns that employees have been experiencing.

8. "Look elsewhere to got paid better"

Current Employee - Returns Clerk in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Returns Clerk in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home. New facility. Nice coworkers. Easy job to learn.

Cons

Foul mouthed manager that uses profanity in emails. Repetitive work. No room to advance. Dealing with dim sales reps.

Advice to Management

Hire better, more respectable managers.

9. "ISAM Review"

Former Employee - ISAM in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - ISAM in Austin, TX

Pros

not many unless you are fresh out of school. They will hire almost anyone regardless of experience so that is a plus for some people..

Cons

certain people in management alienate the employees and the company has no loyalty to its employees.

10. "Depends on your manager"

Former Employee - Account Executive-Inside Sale in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive-Inside Sale in Dallas, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the pros was free lunches from vendors, also SHI had a generally friendly work environment. Managers do their best to grow reps but can be micro managing at times

Cons

When I worked back in 2014 the growth of SHI was way too fast to properly train reps. My training class was over 30 people and it was somewhat clear they did not intend on keeping everyone.

Advice to Management

When you hire talent, give the individual opportunities for small wins whether it be a few small accounts to manage or at least warm leads to have a snowballs chance in hell at closing business. I left the company due to micro managing and the only way for me to find new ops was literally just google companies in my area and cold call.