SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Free food on occasion from Vendors (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• low pay, not much incentive to work hard unless in sales (in 20 reviews)

1. "Evolving with the IT landscape"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to be now as it is consistently changing and evolving with the market that we are in. They have been putting a larger focus on recruitment lately and raising the bar on the talent that we are bringing in to work here. If you are looking for a place where they value hard work and independence- this is your place.

You need your work ethic, attitude, and effort to be above the normal to thrive! Don't expect to sit around and do the minimum metrics and make 6 figures. I was an IAE for two and a half years and I worked hard and made amazing money. I stayed late and treated my customers well and went above and beyond. We expect the same thing.

Join us if you think you are ready to raise the bar on customer experience.

Cons

People expect this job to be easy and for it to not take time. Put in the work to be successful and you will be. Stick around and give it time.

Advice to Management

Learn what your reps are learning and know your strengths.

"SHI transformed from my "first job" to my Career."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

I joined SHI 5+ years ago as a recent college graduate with zero background in technology. I had no aspirations of working in tech sales and figured that this role would be a stepping stone to something bigger and better elsewhere. 5 years later, I am still at SHI and have never once considered leaving. I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist and am highly competitive, and SHI created a platform for me to effectively run my own business, leveraging hundreds of internal and external resources to grow my business and my brand. Senior leadership is highly engaged in the day to day business but provides me the freedom to execute my business in the way that aligns best with my personality and values.

SHI is growing so quickly that there are always job openings across the country and consistent opportunities for promotion. SHI is also a huge proponent of promotion from within the company.

Much like any role that is competitive and requires a strong work ethic and a positive attitude, people that do not share these values will not be successful at SHI. SHi is working to create a strong, uplifting culture focused on ongoing education and big-time internal growth. We are riding the tech bubble and are getting paid ridiculously well to do so. You get out of this job exactly what you put into it and if you walk into work every day with a positive attitude and a desire to learn and work hard, you will be successful here.

Cons

SHI is growing so quickly and working to address so many challenges across the IT landscape that employees are eagerly awaiting the addition of more internal technical resources. In such a dynamic landscape like IT, the main challenge is trying to be the expert in everything - I think we are getting there, but of course we all (selfishly) would like to be there today!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on education, communication and fostering a positive, fun culture of Sales Professionals. Professionalism is key and it only takes 1 SHI employee to shape the way that an entire company or partner views SHI, so hiring the right people is extremely important for our reputation across the industry.

"Incredible opportunity awaits..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

SHI is an incredible place to begin and nurture your sales career - there is a true commitment to inspiring, developing and organizing sales people as they embark on their careers, often times right out of college. There is a sense of community at SHI as many of the sellers are young and work together but also spend time together outside the office as well. It is a place that respects potential within young talent and all of senior leadership wants to promote first from within. The average tenure within SHI is well over five years, especially those sellers who have been a part of Thai Lee's organization since the beginning in 1989. There is the potential to build true wealth by working for SHI and Thai Lee has always committed to making sure the sales people are paid handsomely for their efforts. The thing about SHI is not only a wonderful place to work, but also an incredible place to learn skills that you can replicate in roles across the tech industry. Additionally SHI has made a commitment to evolve as the technology industry evolves at a rapid pace and that has ensured a continued value offering for customers as they navigate the murky waters of how to select, deploy and manage their technology environment.

Cons

There are no obvious cons, but at times the pace of work can overwhelm the younger employees. It is something that you get used to very quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the career and learning development focus. Remember that people are the most important asset and nurturing talent within all employees is integral to a lasting legacy. Caring for employees is not necessarily a requirement for the success of a sales organization, but I do believe it ensures retention of the best employees and promotes a sense of fulfillment and purpose across any workplace. Empathy is a powerful motivator!

4. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, great commission benefits

Cons

Base salary is low for certain areas

5. "Love working here."

Current Employee - DSM in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - DSM in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, competitive and inviting, good opportunity for growth. Salary + commission is very good.

Cons

None come to my mind.

Advice to Management

More sales training for DSMs.

6. "Awesome start in sales!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job to start a career in sales. Young and energetic environment. The work itself is really not that difficult as long as you aren't extremely lazy (which some people are). TONS of free food and give aways. This may seem like not a big deal but trust me you miss this when you are buying lunch for $10 a piece everyday. Work life balance is also great fantastic.

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. I saw some managers who didn't care as much as others. I was fortunate enough my manager knew how to motivate us and get the most out of us.

Advice to Management

Allow for more advancement of top performers.

7. "Pretty decent place to work for"

Former Employee - IT Security Analyst in Morganville, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Security Analyst in Morganville, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, onsite gym with separate workout room and classes. Management is fair, pretty good ideas. Plenty of work to do, company is growing.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

8. "Aist manager"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than 10 years)

Pros

Comfortable to work with .

Cons

It would be goid if work from home was available.

Advice to Management

None

9. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Integration Lead in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Integration Lead in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is much room for growth

Cons

Conpensation isnt fair around entire company

Advice to Management

Surplus of opportunities for growth

10. "Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities for personal development and growth
    - Sales specialist role is flexible and you gain exposure to operations and marketing, you have the freedom to make the job yours
    - Great people and teammates

Cons

- Sales support teams are in 'silos' - there is little contact with those who support a different manufacturer than the one you do
    - Smaller teams can be left short handed when teammates request off
    - Salary could be better

Advice to Management

Cross train employees to support different teams as well as their own