SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Free food on occasion from Vendors (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• You needed to be part of the "in crowd" with upper management (in 19 reviews)

1. "SHI transformed from my "first job" to my Career."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

I joined SHI 5+ years ago as a recent college graduate with zero background in technology. I had no aspirations of working in tech sales and figured that this role would be a stepping stone to something bigger and better elsewhere. 5 years later, I am still at SHI and have never once considered leaving. I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist and am highly competitive, and SHI created a platform for me to effectively run my own business, leveraging hundreds of internal and external resources to grow my business and my brand. Senior leadership is highly engaged in the day to day business but provides me the freedom to execute my business in the way that aligns best with my personality and values.

SHI is growing so quickly that there are always job openings across the country and consistent opportunities for promotion. SHI is also a huge proponent of promotion from within the company.

Much like any role that is competitive and requires a strong work ethic and a positive attitude, people that do not share these values will not be successful at SHI. SHi is working to create a strong, uplifting culture focused on ongoing education and big-time internal growth. We are riding the tech bubble and are getting paid ridiculously well to do so. You get out of this job exactly what you put into it and if you walk into work every day with a positive attitude and a desire to learn and work hard, you will be successful here.

Cons

SHI is growing so quickly and working to address so many challenges across the IT landscape that employees are eagerly awaiting the addition of more internal technical resources. In such a dynamic landscape like IT, the main challenge is trying to be the expert in everything - I think we are getting there, but of course we all (selfishly) would like to be there today!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on education, communication and fostering a positive, fun culture of Sales Professionals. Professionalism is key and it only takes 1 SHI employee to shape the way that an entire company or partner views SHI, so hiring the right people is extremely important for our reputation across the industry.

2. "Lacks Structure, Beginning to become corporate"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive (Northeast) in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive (Northeast) in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches
    Free swag
    Not much else

Cons

Base salary is low
    Transitioned accounts are not good prospects or leads because accounts have gone through a lot of employee turnover
    "Bro" culture - that's subjective, but I'm not into the fraternity and sorority life

3. "Account Excutive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Free food and a laid back dress code

Cons

30K is not enough for this job. With all the ludicrous things the require you to do on company time and off its just not worth it. They pay the bare min in the industry for this position. Its a legitimate struggle to get by in Austin.

Look for something else. It's not the company they try to make it out to be. The turnover rate is too damn high with no job security. I'm honestly surprised they haven't been sued for wrongful termination.

Advice to Management

Pay your reps more. It's pretty simple. And dont waste their time with your ridiculous 5 min presentations. We're not in college anymore and its a total waste of time. EVERYONE hates them and Nobody finds them to be helpful

5. "Some pros and cons"

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

Shi has a great work environment for fresh out of college professionals and is a good place to launch your career in sales

Cons

management likes to micro-manage, high turnover, no clear direction from leadership

Advice to Management

stick with a plan and keep it.

6. "Inside Account Executive Position"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The positives of Shi that I am about to list are the same ones that have already been listed by pretty much every other reviewer on here....

- Good benefits
    - Excellent training
    - High energy in the office
    - Constant free lunches and SWAG from vendors
    - Happy hours and free drinks once a month
    - Constantly have company employee events (Spurs games, field days, etc. )
    - Multiple free dinners/happy hour drinks during first month of training

First month on the job during training is definitely the greatest. Everyone seems so nice and welcoming, then the job hits you like a rock the second you get put out on the floor........and you quickly begin to realize how sketchy and scandolous Shi really is.

Cons

There are definitely more cons than there are pros at Shi so let me begin....

- THEY DO NOT VALUE THEIR EMPLOYEES
    Why do you think the turnover rate is CRAZY high???? You are just a # there, and you will be treated like just a #.

- THE BASE SALARY IS A JOKE
    They take people with little to no experience because they don't want to have to pay them. If they tell you you are going to make 60k+ your first year with commission laugh in their face because they are LYING.

- FAVORATISM IS BADDDDD
    If upper management loves you then you will be able to get away with murder, but if they don't like you, or don't have a strong opinion about you, you can get fired for being late to work twice. Think I'm kidding? Go find out for yourself. It is BAD. I don't know of any other company that fires employees as easily as Shi. Idk who would want to work for a company that they have to go into work every single day wondering if they are still going to have their job or not.

- HIGH TURNOVER RATE
    This falls into everything else I've listed so far. The turnover rate is ridiculously high, and there's a reason for it. It's because Shi treats their employees like they're so easily replaceable, and guess what? YOU ARE EASILY REPLACEABLE AT SHI. As soon as you complete your training, there's a whole other training class of 20+ college grads coming in that could easily take your place.

- STRAIGHT COLD CALLING
    I know cold calling is in the job description, and you have a pretty clear understanding on what you're getting yourself into, but the job is still pretty rough. You will be calling into accounts that have been called into for years, and your success is solely based on the team you're placed in and the accounts that are handed to you.

If your dream is to sell HW & SW by cold calling into small businesses across the Country then Shi is the place for you!
    Seriously, I do not recommend this place to anyone unless if you are really having a hard time finding a first job right out of college.
    If you truly have some talent in inside sales, and love technology, apply at Dell or Intel! Your talents and efforts will actually be valued there, and having Dell on your resume looks better anyways.

Advice to Management

Your turnover rate is ridiculous. Maybe you should try to find out why.

7. "Inside Account Executive"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Social people, lots of company events

Cons

Low pay, micromanage and bare minimum benefits

8. "Developer"

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great working environment, great people to work with .

Cons

Pay is average. Hard to move up the ladder and fully get recognized.

Advice to Management

Please recognize your real values employees.

9. "Great starting point for IT sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, young employees, free lunches, happy hours, various events. Even better is they provide exceptional and hands on training with sales techniques as well as learning a large variety of manufacturers and technologies. Great management.

Cons

Base is miserably low for the amount of work you put in. Earning potential is there, but there is an absolute grind to get there and extensive ramp up period. Huge emphasis on metrics no matter how well you are performing.

Advice to Management

Raise the salary and the turnover rate will not be as high. Good job on being attentive to employees to prevent this, but people need to eat and Austin is expensive. There is a certain hyper male Director in Territory that oozes a two-faced feel. These may be a bunch of college graduates, but people are perceptive of him saying one thing and meaning something else. Be direct with people. We can have fun, but at the end of the day, this is a job. Or hire more qualified people.

10. "Great Company with a great culture"

Current Employee - IAE
    Current Employee - IAE

I have been working at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company with a great culture

Cons

Average growing pains like any company

Advice to Management

Be a little more open with employees

11. "Inside Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lax atmosphere, run your own business

Cons

Exceptionally low base pay, weak market, odd positioning as extension of being a representative for an 'IT reseller' meaning you have very little tangible value as there is no specific product made so customers prerogatives are exceptionally paramount and not a social business environment, most pay depends on spiffs which are direct incentives paid by original equipment manufacturers such as HP, Dell, etc. so yes they have a great business model

Advice to Management

pay more and reps will stay, terminate quicker if need be-your prerogative if reps go/stay, not saying it's imperative for the business to flourish