SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Free food on occasion from Vendors (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• low pay, not much incentive to work hard unless in sales (in 20 reviews)

1. "Inside Account Manager"

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people
    Money is great in commission
    Free food
    Great learning opportunities
    Flexible Schedule
    Management cares about your growth and understanding

Cons

Low Salary
    and did I mention Low Salary, pay your employees more please

Advice to Management

Raise the Salary

2. "Good opportunity if you want it"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Good energy and a lot of room to grow. If you put the effort in, you can find success here. Eligible for promotion or role change fairly quickly.

Cons

Lots of change. Constant change in management and top level leadership (not that big of a deal). Change in compensation plan.

Advice to Management

To senior leadership: Thoroughly inform the managers before releasing info to reps. Don't beat around the bush when explaining the changes to reps

3. "Fun culture with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - IAE
    Current Employee - IAE

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity to make money, fun events, unique culture

Cons

Rapid overnight changes and sometimes pointless campaigns.

4. "Evolving with the IT landscape"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to be now as it is consistently changing and evolving with the market that we are in. They have been putting a larger focus on recruitment lately and raising the bar on the talent that we are bringing in to work here. If you are looking for a place where they value hard work and independence- this is your place.

You need your work ethic, attitude, and effort to be above the normal to thrive! Don't expect to sit around and do the minimum metrics and make 6 figures. I was an IAE for two and a half years and I worked hard and made amazing money. I stayed late and treated my customers well and went above and beyond. We expect the same thing.

Join us if you think you are ready to raise the bar on customer experience.

Cons

People expect this job to be easy and for it to not take time. Put in the work to be successful and you will be. Stick around and give it time.

Advice to Management

Learn what your reps are learning and know your strengths.

5. "Highly recommended - improvements are needed like anywhere else"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

-Management open to feedback and coaching, regardless of your standing in the hierarchy
    - Welcoming enough atmosphere
    - They don't pull managers from other companies and everyone is home grown
    - The industry is probably the most viable right now of any industry and is only going to grow from here
    - Thai Lee is an amazing CEO
    -Benefits are decent

Cons

-There's disorganization at the entry level positions, with some employees being unqualified to handle even basic tasks
    -If you aren't in sales, salaries are going to be lower than elsewhere.
    - Employees are told they will make different amounts than they do
    -There's a check/balance system but communication barriers absolutely need to be brought down between different arms of the company

Advice to Management

Bring everyone onto the same page, be more honest about pay, and raise the standards for entry level employees, particularly for inside sales

"Anyone else tired of your commission being stolen, deducted and overcharged for company expenses?"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looks like a good company from the outside. There are many skeletons in this company closet.

Cons

SHI WILL STEAL YOUR COMMISSIONS on regular monthly basis! This company forces sales reps to take on company costs, the risks of being a business and will do or make any sort of deduction from your earned commission which they feel entitled to make. Your charged monthly interest fees on several company expenses even if you were NEVER compensated initially. Unpaid customer invoices at the revenue amount billed to a vendor not the GM which you were paid out on (if you were paid) Customer invoices from years before you even had the account even if you were never paid on the invoice & regardless of the GM earned.

Any equipment sent from distribution into the warehouse for storage, YOU pay the company (SHI) a freight charge by your own warehouse (can easily be over $5,000 mth or more) which deducts from GM total monthly earnings.

You have NO visibility into the ordering systems nor the 'orders' that your being deducted for but they will proudly show the deductions on your monthly commission statement. If your storing equipment at the warehouse for a customer & NOT charging customer for it (ie. it doesn't hit your GM #'s to get u paid) You will pay 2% of the purchase price every month after 60 days. If you have ongoing business needing to store millions $'s of equipment at warehouse regularly you can be deducted anywhere from $10K up to $60K (no limit threshold) against your earned GM on other accounts at 2% of the revenue purchase price. If equipment is at warehouse for a while, customer never accepts it, you can VERY easily pay more than price of equipment at purchase price dollar amount. After 2 or 3 yrs, you forced to get rid of it, your deducted for 100% of the purchase price even if your paid interest fees covered costs higher than purchase price.

They will state in your offer SHI to supply your admin Inside Sales support, but monthly after your GM is calculated based on your commission %, you'll pay a % for your support team depending on the amount they earned that month. Ex. If you have 2 reps and each account, you directly pay out of your commission numbers from you NET salary which ranges from $300-$600 per mth. If your not paying attention you can be overcharged more Inside Reps than you have. Good luck being reimbursed.

You will pay for your customers licensing monthly if they use any of our internal support. This can add up to $1000 or more monthly against your commissions.

Your SPIFFS from OEM's might be taken from you and given to your management or VP on regular basis.

If they want, they'll deducted from Net pay for other team members to get a bonus out of your payroll earnings.

These deductions 'monthly interests or other fees' won't ever be consistent and in one commission payroll, you could get hit retro for prior 5,6, 7 or 8 months etc.

They will deduct WHATEVER and WHENEVER they desire and don't ya dare ask why because the answers are convoluted & unclear. Of course NONE of this is laid out in any commission plan structure to you, nor do you know about deductions they take until it's done to your payroll.

Your numbers are split and charged with sometimes up to 10 different individuals.
    Every team is different, some better than others whom don't get some of these types of deductions. If your a good sales rep, they WILL find a way to keep more of your earnings bottom line.

There are MANY more instances of how they will charge & steal out of their sales reps pockets, trust me I've lived it.

I know for a fact they do this to MANY past & current employees. It's no wonder why their 'Annual Growth rates' are so high or what others find extremely impressive. They will play favorites to those employees who've been with company over 10 or more years, I've seen many examples of this also.

SHI thinks they are untouchable and has got away with stealing from their employees for years because no one does anything about it or just quits the company. This MUST end! I encourage discussions & will provide evidence of this being the TRUTH.

Oh and why does the company not charge the customers Sales Tax? This seems rather odd to me.

Advice to Management

Stop stealing and deducting money from your sales reps who have earned for your business. Employees have families to support too, not just there to make your company Billions of dollars. Take on your own business liabilities and stop making your employees take on the risks associated with your company. End the unscrupulous behavior of stealing from employees & pay your employees what they earn fairly.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for especially if you're starting out from college - great opportunity to grow in leadership and company promotes from within. Lots of vendor gifts, cool toys, yearly raises & holiday bonus. Trips & amazing perks for top sales reps. Can choose work hours from 6:30-3:30 to 11-8p (late hours usually gets 3k bonus)

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on your team and your manager. Two different people at SHI can have two vastly different experiences. Some managers micromanage, teams can suck, lots of office politics and sometimes you have young immature managers since SHI hires a lot of kids straight from college. 9 hour work days (no paid lunch).

Advice to Management

Allow anonymous feedback of management during yearly reviews.

8. "Account Executive"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Comp plan is solid - very lucrative if you put in the work and the time.

Cons

A lot of managers are being promoted with little to no experience in management.

"SHI transformed from my "first job" to my Career."

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

I joined SHI 5+ years ago as a recent college graduate with zero background in technology. I had no aspirations of working in tech sales and figured that this role would be a stepping stone to something bigger and better elsewhere. 5 years later, I am still at SHI and have never once considered leaving. I am a self-proclaimed perfectionist and am highly competitive, and SHI created a platform for me to effectively run my own business, leveraging hundreds of internal and external resources to grow my business and my brand. Senior leadership is highly engaged in the day to day business but provides me the freedom to execute my business in the way that aligns best with my personality and values.

SHI is growing so quickly that there are always job openings across the country and consistent opportunities for promotion. SHI is also a huge proponent of promotion from within the company.

Much like any role that is competitive and requires a strong work ethic and a positive attitude, people that do not share these values will not be successful at SHI. SHi is working to create a strong, uplifting culture focused on ongoing education and big-time internal growth. We are riding the tech bubble and are getting paid ridiculously well to do so. You get out of this job exactly what you put into it and if you walk into work every day with a positive attitude and a desire to learn and work hard, you will be successful here.

Cons

SHI is growing so quickly and working to address so many challenges across the IT landscape that employees are eagerly awaiting the addition of more internal technical resources. In such a dynamic landscape like IT, the main challenge is trying to be the expert in everything - I think we are getting there, but of course we all (selfishly) would like to be there today!

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on education, communication and fostering a positive, fun culture of Sales Professionals. Professionalism is key and it only takes 1 SHI employee to shape the way that an entire company or partner views SHI, so hiring the right people is extremely important for our reputation across the industry.

10. "Some pros and cons"

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

Shi has a great work environment for fresh out of college professionals and is a good place to launch your career in sales

Cons

management likes to micro-manage, high turnover, no clear direction from leadership

Advice to Management

stick with a plan and keep it.