SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

SHI International Reviews

Updated November 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Fun culture (with lots of free lunches, social events and campaigns) (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay unless you are in sales (in 22 reviews)

1. "Very decent place to work"

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great work atmosphere, lot of young people, not much micromanaging

Cons

Interactions between inside reps and outside reps can be difficult. Goals of one side do not always match goals of the other.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of young people hired here, which leads to a ton of turnover. Give them a reason to stay for longer periods of time.

2. "Great company"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, managers, and co workers.

Cons

Low pay unless you are in sales.

"A True Learning Experience"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at SHI immerses you in IT solution selling from day 1 of training. Resources are available to learn anything about IT and sales you may want. Laid back atmosphere. Results driven advancement.

Cons

Vertical Mobility limited. Compensation. Micro-Management. Metrics sometimes interfere with productivity. Sometimes you feel like a lone soldier, leading large projects by sheer will.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to treat employees with more encouragement than nagging. Allow reps to earn a better portion of their sales margin, thus allowing talent to remain happy with their position; resulting in more growth.

"SHI International Pros-Cons"

Current Employee - ISAM in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ISAM in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, nice office location, lots of training, team environment.

Cons

PTO is not great, only get 16 days for the whole year, including sick days.

Advice to Management

Work to increase PTO/Sick days and holidays off.

"SHI is what you make of it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rapidly growing company; relatively flat organizational structure with opportunity to be part of building new capabilities or offerings. If you have good ideas, and the drive to help execute them, there's enough of the small company feel here for you to be able to build something.

In many departments, there's low turnover, and long term employees showing it's a positive place to stay, with a family feel.

Cons

There are some growing pains as the company evolves and grows. Sometimes, there aren't standard processes for things other companies may have - while that gives you some flexibilty, it means some things take more work than you'd expect.

Vacation benefits are relatively low.

Some parts of sales have relatively high turnover.

"ISAM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great money, pride in your work and lots of perks like free lunches, events etc.

Cons

Leadership is awful, they do not see ISAMs as sales people but more as order takers. Yes we place the orders but we also manage the customer relationship, deal with the logistics of the orders, manage all software renewals as well as ALL back end issues like tracking, back orders, quoting research and general problems that customers have.

Advice to Management

Stop lowering the comp plan unless your goal is to run off the people who are great at this job to then replace them with people who provide terrible customer service because no one is paid enough to actually care.

"Inside Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money out of college is very real. Only people that work hard will do well. It's a sink or swim cold calling sales job. If you're interested in technology it's a great way to network and learn what area of expertise you'd like to pursue. There is real opportunity to grow within the organization if that's the career path you'd like.

Cons

Training for all roles has been minimal (sales, management, senior leadership). Most of this has to do with high attrition you'd expect from a growing organization. Though there have been positive strives to empower leaders and develop top talent, ongoing education is minimal. In my time with this company, my immediate managers were never fully qualified and lacked true leadership. I was often asked how they could help but due to the workload that was put on them, I was never provided the education or assistance I needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to train leaders, not managers. Provide technical trainings for reps that want it. Allow for team leads to get paid more without having to mandate they move into management but audit their contributions so they aren't getting paid more for doing nothing. Make the SA roles more lucrative so that highly skilled sales reps don't have to get a second job to switch to a technical role - You'll have much more highly skilled sales engineers.

"Inside Account Executive"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere. Great people. Good Location

Cons

Micro Management, lots of change, exclusive

9. "Amazing first job out of college, that's about it."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy coming to work everyday. The actual job itself is awesome. Big fan of sales and I love tech. It has a young culture and it is a great environment to start your professional career at. Management is good up to the director of sales level. There is room for growth. The new training program seems to be heading in a great direction.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible. Ok, give me a terrible base pay but at least make the commission make up for it. 12.5 % of GM is an insult to the amount of work you put into a sale. You can get up to 25% but their ridiculous ramp quota makes it almost unattainable in territory sales. The upper-up who is reading this right now is thinking "oh just some replaceable territory rep". And that's the attitude toward the entire division, it's an after thought. What if we enjoy working with smaller to medium sized businesses and don't want to "move across the street"? Your main metric isn't orders, retention, new buying accounts....it's dials and talk time (GM and revenue isn't even considered a metric! ). Also, they are getting away from the social events that everyone loves going to. You always say you want to retain and attract the best talent but where is the action ? We always hear that the company is doing so well financially but where is that going ?

Advice to Management

Do what it takes to retain and attract the best talent (at every level).

"Exceptional Sales Training, Countless Opportunities for Promotion, Great People, Great Lunches"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) EXCEPTIONAL SALES TRAINING - Your initial training phase is several weeks long. During this time you become familiarized with the basics of hardware & software and learn how to sell it yourself.

When I started, I did not even know what a server was (I know, lol). That all changed very quickly. SHI's initial training program does 2 things phenomenally - Firstly, they know how to take a group of social people (who are often IT-illiterate) and indoctrinate them with all the history, systems, and terminology of IT very quickly. You are not made to feel stupid and all questions are welcome. It is very obvious that their main priority is ensuring that each trainee is able to grasp all the information and understand it sufficiently. You will leave this training with the ability to speak relatively in-depth about a vast array of hardware/software applications. Also, you will have foundation of knowledge that you will continue to build on during the course of your career at SHI (more below...)

The second thing that the initial training phase does so well is that it immerses you in the SHI culture. When I say "SHI Culture", I say this very proudly as it was probably one of my favorite aspects about working for this company. This is NOT a cool-aid drinking, corporate cult wherein groupthink is encouraged and everyone worships the CEO. (Yes, we do love Thai Lee, she is an inspiration, an amazing business-mind and employer). However, the culture here (particularly the atmosphere created by Phil Wilhelm) is inherently unique to SHI. It is a truly loving atmosphere where creativity is not only encouraged, but actually stimulated. It is a culture where your opinion matters and will be taken into consideration. And most impressively, SHI facilitates a work-hard/play-hard environment in which I personally felt motivation between peers was welcomed and not deemed campy. In my own training experience, the culture immersion is not forced, but rather, organic. You start as complete strangers, but quickly create a genuine bond as you go through the daily education. Next thing you know, you're organizing your own off-sites and going out on the weekends together. I went through this training 2 years ago and still remain very close with most everyone in that class.

Con'td Training Opportunities:
    IT is ever-changing and popular systems/industry standards one day seem to change overnight, so that learning curve truly never really stops. The good thing is that SHI goes above and beyond to provide ongoing training for all of its sales force. Seriously, you will attend continued trainings at least twice if not three times per week. If you're paying attention, you can take this information to, not only become a better seller, but to be promoted within the company ranks, or elsewhere in your personal journey.

Aside from the continual IT related training, there are different courses in advanced sales tactics offered at SHI. My recommendation to anyone joining this org would be to take full advantage of those classes. Once you're up and running as an IAE, you'll start to hear about the "Top Gun" program created by Phil Wilhelm. Typically, people who enrolled in this program became surgical in their sales approach and went on to make A LOT of money.

Lastly, they teach you how to sell IT yourself by selling yourself. At SHI, they talk about creating your personal "brand" not only for customers but within the company as well. I always appreciated this as I was allowed to let my personality fly. If you're a relatively dry person who likes to get straight to the point, they will align you with the proper mentors and try to hone in on that to craft your own unique and effective sales approach. Likewise, if you're outgoing and colorful personality, they will also elevate those qualities to help you be a successful sales rep.

2) COUNTLESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR PROMOTION

I was not a great seller starting off. For the better part of a year, I struggled to find success. However, I never felt my job security was threatened. Rather than deeming my lack of success as a failure, my superiors acknowledged that I was working hard and, in turn, they were constantly soliciting feedback from me and looking for ways in which they could assist my professional growth. From the time I joined this company to the time that I left, I personally felt that SHI's leadership truly wanted to see me succeed.

By the time I left SHI, the traditional "sales ladder" (if you want to call it that), had been reorganized to run quite smoothly. Nowadays, if you're to join SHI, you will go from training, to Territory Sales, to Inside Sales, to Outside Sales. This whole process should take a year-and-a-half, which is much quicker than most corporations:

Territory Sales, which is what you hit after training, is essentially small business sales - a lot of accounts, and heavily transactional. The way it is setup, you probably won't be in TS for more than 3-6 months. What's great is that you'll do a lot of business during that time frame and roll into Inside Sales with complete familiarity as to SHI's internal systems, so you can do your job efficiently. When you hit Inside Sales, you'll work much larger accounts and by this point, you're probably going to see a lot more commission start coming in. Make no mistake though, the choice is yours. A lot of my peers loved working Territory accounts and made so much money working in Territory that they never opted to move to Inside. Once you've proven yourself in Inside, the promotions to join management or to go work in SHI's Outside Sales division will be on the table. I never worked Outside Sales, but I saw the numbers. Those people make a lot of money.

In addition, because SHI is a reseller with hundreds of partnerships, you will have the option to move unilaterally to other organizations. I had friends who started off in either training or on the sales floor at SHI that went on to work for Microsoft, Apple, VMware, Amazon, etc etc. These moves can be made relatively easily. SHI emails all of its employees job postings for their partners once a week. You can work for SHI and be great at selling Cisco, then go work for them. Or, you can just be passionate about Apple and familiarize yourself with their product portfolio and SHI will provide you with the platform to make that transition. A lot of people make these types of moves within their first year or two at SHI and for various reasons (i.e. I just really love the Apple brand, I think they're a cool company) or (I want to go live in Seattle and work for Microsoft). Either way, as long as you work hard and have a good attitude, SHI will have your back and seal the deal with a good recommend letter. ** As a sidenote, if you want to go live somewhere else in the country, SHI has offices literally everywhere, and going through the program described above is a great way to go live in Austin, TX for a stint before landing a lucrative job in Denver, Miami, New York, or wherever it is you want to relocate **

Also, as mentioned above, the continual training provides limitless opportunities if you're paying attention. Aside from corporate sales, SHI has resource teams such as ASG (Advanced Solution Group) who help their sales people field technical questions for their customers (trust me, some of these convos go pretty deep!) One of my buddies seriously just paid attention and took notes in all of our continual trainings on the sales floor then moved to ASG with a nice paybump. Others will accumulate a knowledge around just a particular aspect of IT (example: cloud) then either a) sell a ton of cloud and buy a new car, or b) go take a job with Google.

Ultimately, as long as you show a willingness to work hard and a positive attitude, SHI is going to take care of you. Some people have trouble with this, but in all honesty, some people are just wired that way and would have the same grievances working anywhere. In my case, I was not a particularly great seller, but I did love the people I worked with and was putting forth an effort. Rather than bust my chops, my superiors were always quick to recognize where I was succeeding. I cannot tell you how much this motivated me. I'm a highly creative and very social person. So, for example, I'd come up with an idea - like a new logo for my sales team and would be praised for my idea then encouraged to keep pursuing that. When I faltered and had a bad quarter, my superiors would work with me to improve my sales numbers and would also to help identify other potential moves I might want to make (i.e. "Well, hey, you're clearly creative, so if you feel sales isn't for you, maybe you'd like to interview for our marketing team!") I even came in and interviewed for a management position when I really had no leg to stand on and instead of laughing me out of the room, my director (Ryan Cox) took my interview request, then called me in for a follow-up and laid out a diagram of what I could do to move into management if I wanted. How cool is that?

This leads me to my next point...

3) GREAT PEOPLE!

This is my #1 favorite thing about working for SHI. If you're new to Austin, you will immediately be connected to hundreds of people who are mostly between the ages of 23-30. SHI traditionally hires a lot of social people and they're all working towards a common goal, so the atmosphere is extremely friendly and fun.

Like I mentioned earlier, there is a work-hard/play-hard culture. Excuse the cliché and please understand: SHI is different. I've read other reviews on here that suggest this place is party central. For the record, this place does know how to throw a party, but you will never feel ostracized for not partaking. Between SHI and all of its vendor partners, you probably will have the option to go out and drink for free 2-4 nights a week if you want to. That said, SHI will never force a drink into your hand. In my observation, the most successful and most celebrated sales reps at this company were a healthy mix of people who either enjoyed attending off-sites or opted to go home at the end of the workday and prepare for tomorrow. SHI holds its employees to a professional standard, so if you can't handle your alcohol around coworkers, are coming into work consistently hungover, or looking partake in recreational drugs - this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you do know how to act like an adult out on the town and just want to drink responsibly while you boogie, you'll feel right at home. Nobody is going to judge you for singing off-key at karaoke night and nobody is going to judge you for not showing up to Top Golf. However, you do run the risk of being let go if you think you're on Spring Break.

Lastly, in regards to great people: the company has also done a fantastic job of promoting a very strong and supportive leadership team. I was able to find a lot of great mentors in management (as well as via my peers on the sales floor). Directors and managers at SHI are truly invested in their sales reps. They will work with you to help you hit your career goals, as well as your personal goals. They love hearing about your dreams and ideas for the company and for your own life and work to help you achieve them. I found the open-door policy that was advertised during training to be actually true, even for C-level positions.

4) GREAT LUNCHES:

SHI will bring in catered lunches about 3-4 days a week. Tex-Mex, BBQ, Asian, etc. They feed you well and you can actually save a lot of money this way.

Cons

1) By partaking in the delicious lunches you do run the risk of gaining 5-15 lbs in the first year, depending on your metabolism.

2) SHI hires a lot of good looking people. I found this somewhat distracting and would regularly take a break from my desk to roam around the sales floor on my scooter and talk to the ladies. #Creepy? No doubt!

3) You do start over with new accounts each time you're promoted (from TS, to Inside Named, etc). The goal is to get you into management or outside sales within the first 2 years. Needless to say, if you're doing your job and being promoted on schedule, you're going to be making a lot in commission all the while.

Advice to Management

Keep showing the same support for professional growth of the individual that I experienced while I was there. When they have a bad month, continue to praise them for what they're doing correctly while critiquing the areas in which they need improvement. Make sure the managers aren't too bogged down with reports to actually help their reps. Keep the open door policy at the director level and keep on keepin' on.