SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

SHI International Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to work & great culture (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the position, there may be no room for growth (in 11 reviews)

• You needed to be part of the "in crowd" with upper management (in 18 reviews)

"IAE Territory"

Former Employee - IAE in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IAE in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free vendor lunches, swag and young culture

Cons

Terrible management in every level. Favoritism is ridiculous. Hire educated leaders not cowards that can't manage. 30K base is lowest in Austin and it won't change. GM is maxed out per year. You most likely won't make over 40k in the first year they will lie to you.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Extremely high attrition rate and you wonder why? CEO is not involved and I doubt cares how the company is run. Work somewhere else. This place is a JOKE.

"Needs serious work"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young culture, they hire anyone even if you barely passed college.

Cons

They have not raised the base salary for sales in 15+ years. SHI makes little to no effort to value their employees and it is very clear that they do not care about you. There is also clear favoritism happening in sales with people barely at company 14 months getting manager positions. They love to hire hot and fire ugly. College graduates are also severely taken advantage of and I have witnessed comments from upper management that we are "young" and want it all. This is the tactic they use to keep you quiet and avoid having to actually pay or value employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. The attrition rates are off the charts.

"software specialist"

Current Employee - Licensing Operations Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Licensing Operations Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, great managers

Cons

low pay, low pay, low pay

"Inside Named Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You start in Territory sales and that's where you should STAY!

For a job based on cold calling, this was an awesome gig. I had gotten to a point where I actually enjoyed coming into work and that was due to an awesome management team, great team of co-workers, and sweet perks. I HATED cold calling but the training here is like no other and I began to master it to a point to where I had received Employee of the Month among other incentives. I'm not a talkative person so that was huge for me.

Inside Territory:
    Many ways to earn money.
    Great relationship building (both internally and externally to the company).
    Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Inside Named:
    After you work your tail off for several months within Territory, SHI will trick you into a "promotion" where you work twice as hard and get paid LESS. You build accounts and strong relationships with customers for months and months in Territory, just to have them ripped away from you when you get said "promotion". Not only do you lose money by dropping strong accounts, but you have to be a jerk and call your customers (some of them considered friends) and tell them that they are going to be transferred out of your book.

Here's a fun example:
    Got the "promotion" and immediately had new quotas to hit (the twice as much work part). Right away I hit the ground running and nailed a long phone interview with a close customer describing their entire 2017 initiative and data center refresh. I immediately received a hefty sale from the phone call, but my new incompetent manager forced me to drop the account before the sale went through and give it to someone back in territory. On top of losing cash in my pocket, I had to call the customer up and tell him, "thanks for an hour of your time yesterday and letting me in on your entire environment, here's your new rep...". The dude was furious. He had just got done telling me AND the manager (because she micro managed and listened in on the phone call) that he hated other resellers because they kept switching reps on him. He told me he's not buying from SHI this year.

This was 1 case out of many during this "promotion". Went from excelling in Territory to starting from scratch in this "promotion".

Last but not least, there are no career opportunities here unless sales is what you're passionate about. You can become a manager and that's the ceiling. Tiny marketing, finance, and other support role teams.

Advice to Management

There's not a single person in territory that wants to go over to Inside Named so instead of tricking us to go over, change the incentives, culture, account transfers, etc etc. There's a hundred things you can do better to bring Inside Named closer to Territory.

"Inside Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-young company culture
    -Cool events/conferences
    -relationship based sale

Cons

-too many partners
    -slow sales cycle
    -low base salary
    -high turnover

Advice to Management

none.

7. "Horrible place!"

Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing at all good to say about this company.

They are taking advantage of grads and not allowing career growth without a pay cut.

Cons

I worked here 4 years. I was told I cannot get paid for the last week I worked in February because of a vacation I had requested in March. It is so ridiculous that you have to fight a company for your own pay.

"Great company to work"

Current Employee - Accountant in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work and grow

Cons

The compensation to employee is too little

"Takes advantage of recent grads"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International (Less than a year)

Pros

The health benefits are fantastic. Really the only decent thing about compensation. Medical, dental, FSA, vision, etc.

Cons

They take advantage of recent grads looking for a "foot in the door." Stress levels are through the roof; there is extensive mandatory overtime that they do not warn you about in the interview, salary is a pittance considering the workload and intensive training, and we do not earn commission so there is no motivation to completing all the insane work that we're expected to do.

Advice to Management

You might want to consider WHY you have an outrageous turnover rate and consider the cause of the multiple emotional breakdowns that employees have been experiencing.

"Needs serious improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young group of people located in a beautiful city. They have social events all the time. The culture is very energetic.

Cons

They have very inexperienced management leadings sales teams that have zero experience. 95% of the management has only been with SHI 14 months before being promoted into management. Then to make matters worse management gets no training and they have no prior experience. They are highering way too many inexperienced people too quickly and its degrading the culture and work quality. Pay is very low and gets worse in years 2 and 3.

11. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Seemingly Nice Place to Work! From the outside only! Ambitious Company that wants to be like Google.

Cons

Once you get in the door, you'll feel the coldness and how energy draining the place really is. The benefits are not great. They demand overtime constantly. They don't provide any in-house training. They have numerous software vendors including Microsoft that can provide free training but yet they don't offer it. Salaries are much lower than the average. No bonus for regular employees, unless you count the lousy pen they gave one Christmas. The place is not have professional business environment. It feels more like a blue collar warehouse. Employees are constantly using curse words in the office, guys talking about personal problems with girlfriends, and too much physical playing by opposite sex employees. The president's only motivation is to become the next billionaire at the employees' expense. During bad weather they never close, but rather force the employees to use their own personal time. I'll finish by saying that during Hurricane Sandy they didn't close for business, they only opened late. Enough said! Horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Let go of all upper management, including the president. Become a publicly traded company and offer better stock options to employees.