SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

SHI International Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to work & great culture (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on the position, there may be no room for growth (in 11 reviews)

• You needed to be part of the "in crowd" with upper management (in 18 reviews)

"Inside Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The myriad of learning opportunities that were available in regards to not only product knowledge, sales methodology, and management experience

Cons

It was difficult to advance based on work ethic and performance alone. You needed to be part of the "in crowd" with upper management.

Advice to Management

Ensure that you practice what you preach. Be open to differing opinions and make sure you don't disregard them simply for the mere fact that that individual is not one of your best friends

2. "Great place to get started"

Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get started. SHI is an extremely well organized company. The training process is among the best I have experienced. Very fun culture, friendly coworkers.

Cons

High Expectations, Marginalized Performance Rewards, minimal room for growth, ZERO work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Further develop Sales roles within the organization. Allow employees with families to occasionally work from home.

3. "A place to make money"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International (More than a year)

Pros

Having a global presence allows a salesperson to leverage the US ranking

Cons

In the UK a big company with a small minded attitude, if you are not IN with management you may struggle to play on equal playing field.

Advice to Management

Have more structured and fairer recognition of achievements and award

"Horrible!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The resell strategy of SHI is good. Low overhead. Low prices. Helping customers. There are so many good people at SHI that are hard workers.

Cons

Recently the only promotions are going to people that are friends with the new management. No one cares about your skills to get promoted. It's all who you are friends with. There was a recent reorg and no one is happy with any of the decisions that were made. The company has a good story to tell, but when your employees are miserable then good employees will leave.

6. "Love working here."

Current Employee - DSM in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - DSM in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, competitive and inviting, good opportunity for growth. Salary + commission is very good.

Cons

None come to my mind.

Advice to Management

More sales training for DSMs.

7. "Great place to start your career"

Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

SHI is a great company to start your career. The inside sales role is geared to new college graduates and the initial training is very in depth... not only with the general tactics of selling but training on technology at a very high level. They provide on going training for folks at all points in their development. The compensation plan is the best in the industry and money is easy to make if you're willing to work for it. The culture feels a lot like that of a college fraternity.. with a work hard play hard mentality.

Cons

There is a ton of turn over in management. I was never a manager, but I did have a close relationship with several... I think this really boiled down to the lack of development in the management team.

Advice to Management

Tailor your direction to the individual you are speaking to... often an entire team or region would be lumped together good or bad. If the message doesn't speak to the individual sellers they will not hear it.

"Great starting place, or great if you love sales"

Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

in theory, can make a lot of money on commission
    flexibility with management for doctors appointments, emergencies, etc
    free lunch 3-4 times a week generally
    everyone wants to recruit you
    opportunity to move up into management or field roles relatively quickly (if you do well)
    lots of happy hours available - if you are into that sort of thing

Cons

high stress
    salary is low
    constant change
    cold calling
    lack of support from management when you have a rude customer, moving accounts
    working with Dell
    forced campaigns supporting a manufacturer when we are "brand agnostic"
    lots of politics
    lots of forced meetings that are generally useless
    an attempt to bring up morale "first Friday" was supposed to be a half day, which turned into a two hour early release- BUT you can't go anywhere during lunch- so really, its a one hour early release, if you don't have to come in an hour early- which means its not early at all, with a forced happy hour.
    they got rid of team offsites
    difficult to move jobs within SHI without damaging current position (very secretive process)
    if you are able to move jobs, unless it is a sales role, you are generally taking a pay cut

Advice to Management

Please stop telling us that you are invested in us staying in our role, when it is quite obvious that you are not by making it harder for us to make money (and therefore incentivizing us to want to switch roles). And either commit to your original plan for first friday or get rid of it.

"Former SM SLED IAE and not HR"

Former Employee - SM SLED IAE in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - SM SLED IAE in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much, some free food and the people you work with but that has nothing to do with the company, along with the mind numbing easy work.

Cons

Horrible managers, extremely underpaid, constant blame being thrown on you for bad territories. Lack of common sense. SHI was shown as a fun place to work and they lure you in with a "hip" training class and how they will teach you what you need to know. But the bottom line is they do this because they pay you almost nothing. You will clear roughly 800 dollars every two weeks "depending on if you get health insurance with them" and you will only make money if you are put in a good area or if a long time rep quits and you get their accounts. I wasn't going to post a review on here but HR would always tell us that they where fixing their glass door problem and I've noticed an uptick in good reviews that are obvious lies. If you live at home, need a year of experience for a job while you look for a job. Work at SHI. But do not come in thinking you will be able to make a life out of it. They will tell you how peiple have worked here for 10 years and love it. And sure, those positions pay well, but you will be the bottom of the totem pole and not make anything. And you will get mocked and laughed at if you ask to move to a higher position based on arbitrary numbers.

Be careful, I left SHI on good terms and have made many freinds through the company, but their lies and the amount of work per money you make needs to stop.

Advice to Management

Fire your managers and hire the people who have been on the sales floor and watch how SMSLED leader handles situations.

"I hate it here"

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, No Dress Code, Fun Team Builds and Free food. Hey try and suck you in with the free food but it's all a hoax and make sure you get your sales up if not your out

Cons

I feel like I'm in high school and the managers are horrible, the company is very clicky and if you don't get on the managers good side the don't even act like you are there

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and make it at least look like you care.

11. "Awesome start in sales!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job to start a career in sales. Young and energetic environment. The work itself is really not that difficult as long as you aren't extremely lazy (which some people are). TONS of free food and give aways. This may seem like not a big deal but trust me you miss this when you are buying lunch for $10 a piece everyday. Work life balance is also great fantastic.

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. I saw some managers who didn't care as much as others. I was fortunate enough my manager knew how to motivate us and get the most out of us.

Advice to Management

Allow for more advancement of top performers.