SHI International Reviews | Glassdoor

SHI International Reviews

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Fun culture (with lots of free lunches, social events and campaigns) (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay unless you are in sales (in 22 reviews)

"Exceptional Sales Training, Countless Opportunities for Promotion, Great People, Great Lunches"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) EXCEPTIONAL SALES TRAINING - Your initial training phase is several weeks long. During this time you become familiarized with the basics of hardware & software and learn how to sell it yourself.

When I started, I did not even know what a server was (I know, lol). That all changed very quickly. SHI's initial training program does 2 things phenomenally - Firstly, they know how to take a group of social people (who are often IT-illiterate) and indoctrinate them with all the history, systems, and terminology of IT very quickly. You are not made to feel stupid and all questions are welcome. It is very obvious that their main priority is ensuring that each trainee is able to grasp all the information and understand it sufficiently. You will leave this training with the ability to speak relatively in-depth about a vast array of hardware/software applications. Also, you will have foundation of knowledge that you will continue to build on during the course of your career at SHI (more below...)

The second thing that the initial training phase does so well is that it immerses you in the SHI culture. When I say "SHI Culture", I say this very proudly as it was probably one of my favorite aspects about working for this company. This is NOT a cool-aid drinking, corporate cult wherein groupthink is encouraged and everyone worships the CEO. (Yes, we do love Thai Lee, she is an inspiration, an amazing business-mind and employer). However, the culture here (particularly the atmosphere created by Phil Wilhelm) is inherently unique to SHI. It is a truly loving atmosphere where creativity is not only encouraged, but actually stimulated. It is a culture where your opinion matters and will be taken into consideration. And most impressively, SHI facilitates a work-hard/play-hard environment in which I personally felt motivation between peers was welcomed and not deemed campy. In my own training experience, the culture immersion is not forced, but rather, organic. You start as complete strangers, but quickly create a genuine bond as you go through the daily education. Next thing you know, you're organizing your own off-sites and going out on the weekends together. I went through this training 2 years ago and still remain very close with most everyone in that class.

Con'td Training Opportunities:
    IT is ever-changing and popular systems/industry standards one day seem to change overnight, so that learning curve truly never really stops. The good thing is that SHI goes above and beyond to provide ongoing training for all of its sales force. Seriously, you will attend continued trainings at least twice if not three times per week. If you're paying attention, you can take this information to, not only become a better seller, but to be promoted within the company ranks, or elsewhere in your personal journey.

Aside from the continual IT related training, there are different courses in advanced sales tactics offered at SHI. My recommendation to anyone joining this org would be to take full advantage of those classes. Once you're up and running as an IAE, you'll start to hear about the "Top Gun" program created by Phil Wilhelm. Typically, people who enrolled in this program became surgical in their sales approach and went on to make A LOT of money.

Lastly, they teach you how to sell IT yourself by selling yourself. At SHI, they talk about creating your personal "brand" not only for customers but within the company as well. I always appreciated this as I was allowed to let my personality fly. If you're a relatively dry person who likes to get straight to the point, they will align you with the proper mentors and try to hone in on that to craft your own unique and effective sales approach. Likewise, if you're outgoing and colorful personality, they will also elevate those qualities to help you be a successful sales rep.

2) COUNTLESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR PROMOTION

I was not a great seller starting off. For the better part of a year, I struggled to find success. However, I never felt my job security was threatened. Rather than deeming my lack of success as a failure, my superiors acknowledged that I was working hard and, in turn, they were constantly soliciting feedback from me and looking for ways in which they could assist my professional growth. From the time I joined this company to the time that I left, I personally felt that SHI's leadership truly wanted to see me succeed.

By the time I left SHI, the traditional "sales ladder" (if you want to call it that), had been reorganized to run quite smoothly. Nowadays, if you're to join SHI, you will go from training, to Territory Sales, to Inside Sales, to Outside Sales. This whole process should take a year-and-a-half, which is much quicker than most corporations:

Territory Sales, which is what you hit after training, is essentially small business sales - a lot of accounts, and heavily transactional. The way it is setup, you probably won't be in TS for more than 3-6 months. What's great is that you'll do a lot of business during that time frame and roll into Inside Sales with complete familiarity as to SHI's internal systems, so you can do your job efficiently. When you hit Inside Sales, you'll work much larger accounts and by this point, you're probably going to see a lot more commission start coming in. Make no mistake though, the choice is yours. A lot of my peers loved working Territory accounts and made so much money working in Territory that they never opted to move to Inside. Once you've proven yourself in Inside, the promotions to join management or to go work in SHI's Outside Sales division will be on the table. I never worked Outside Sales, but I saw the numbers. Those people make a lot of money.

In addition, because SHI is a reseller with hundreds of partnerships, you will have the option to move unilaterally to other organizations. I had friends who started off in either training or on the sales floor at SHI that went on to work for Microsoft, Apple, VMware, Amazon, etc etc. These moves can be made relatively easily. SHI emails all of its employees job postings for their partners once a week. You can work for SHI and be great at selling Cisco, then go work for them. Or, you can just be passionate about Apple and familiarize yourself with their product portfolio and SHI will provide you with the platform to make that transition. A lot of people make these types of moves within their first year or two at SHI and for various reasons (i.e. I just really love the Apple brand, I think they're a cool company) or (I want to go live in Seattle and work for Microsoft). Either way, as long as you work hard and have a good attitude, SHI will have your back and seal the deal with a good recommend letter. ** As a sidenote, if you want to go live somewhere else in the country, SHI has offices literally everywhere, and going through the program described above is a great way to go live in Austin, TX for a stint before landing a lucrative job in Denver, Miami, New York, or wherever it is you want to relocate **

Also, as mentioned above, the continual training provides limitless opportunities if you're paying attention. Aside from corporate sales, SHI has resource teams such as ASG (Advanced Solution Group) who help their sales people field technical questions for their customers (trust me, some of these convos go pretty deep!) One of my buddies seriously just paid attention and took notes in all of our continual trainings on the sales floor then moved to ASG with a nice paybump. Others will accumulate a knowledge around just a particular aspect of IT (example: cloud) then either a) sell a ton of cloud and buy a new car, or b) go take a job with Google.

Ultimately, as long as you show a willingness to work hard and a positive attitude, SHI is going to take care of you. Some people have trouble with this, but in all honesty, some people are just wired that way and would have the same grievances working anywhere. In my case, I was not a particularly great seller, but I did love the people I worked with and was putting forth an effort. Rather than bust my chops, my superiors were always quick to recognize where I was succeeding. I cannot tell you how much this motivated me. I'm a highly creative and very social person. So, for example, I'd come up with an idea - like a new logo for my sales team and would be praised for my idea then encouraged to keep pursuing that. When I faltered and had a bad quarter, my superiors would work with me to improve my sales numbers and would also to help identify other potential moves I might want to make (i.e. "Well, hey, you're clearly creative, so if you feel sales isn't for you, maybe you'd like to interview for our marketing team!") I even came in and interviewed for a management position when I really had no leg to stand on and instead of laughing me out of the room, my director (Ryan Cox) took my interview request, then called me in for a follow-up and laid out a diagram of what I could do to move into management if I wanted. How cool is that?

This leads me to my next point...

3) GREAT PEOPLE!

This is my #1 favorite thing about working for SHI. If you're new to Austin, you will immediately be connected to hundreds of people who are mostly between the ages of 23-30. SHI traditionally hires a lot of social people and they're all working towards a common goal, so the atmosphere is extremely friendly and fun.

Like I mentioned earlier, there is a work-hard/play-hard culture. Excuse the cliché and please understand: SHI is different. I've read other reviews on here that suggest this place is party central. For the record, this place does know how to throw a party, but you will never feel ostracized for not partaking. Between SHI and all of its vendor partners, you probably will have the option to go out and drink for free 2-4 nights a week if you want to. That said, SHI will never force a drink into your hand. In my observation, the most successful and most celebrated sales reps at this company were a healthy mix of people who either enjoyed attending off-sites or opted to go home at the end of the workday and prepare for tomorrow. SHI holds its employees to a professional standard, so if you can't handle your alcohol around coworkers, are coming into work consistently hungover, or looking partake in recreational drugs - this is not the place for you. On the other hand, if you do know how to act like an adult out on the town and just want to drink responsibly while you boogie, you'll feel right at home. Nobody is going to judge you for singing off-key at karaoke night and nobody is going to judge you for not showing up to Top Golf. However, you do run the risk of being let go if you think you're on Spring Break.

Lastly, in regards to great people: the company has also done a fantastic job of promoting a very strong and supportive leadership team. I was able to find a lot of great mentors in management (as well as via my peers on the sales floor). Directors and managers at SHI are truly invested in their sales reps. They will work with you to help you hit your career goals, as well as your personal goals. They love hearing about your dreams and ideas for the company and for your own life and work to help you achieve them. I found the open-door policy that was advertised during training to be actually true, even for C-level positions.

4) GREAT LUNCHES:

SHI will bring in catered lunches about 3-4 days a week. Tex-Mex, BBQ, Asian, etc. They feed you well and you can actually save a lot of money this way.

Cons

1) By partaking in the delicious lunches you do run the risk of gaining 5-15 lbs in the first year, depending on your metabolism.

2) SHI hires a lot of good looking people. I found this somewhat distracting and would regularly take a break from my desk to roam around the sales floor on my scooter and talk to the ladies. #Creepy? No doubt!

3) You do start over with new accounts each time you're promoted (from TS, to Inside Named, etc). The goal is to get you into management or outside sales within the first 2 years. Needless to say, if you're doing your job and being promoted on schedule, you're going to be making a lot in commission all the while.

Advice to Management

Keep showing the same support for professional growth of the individual that I experienced while I was there. When they have a bad month, continue to praise them for what they're doing correctly while critiquing the areas in which they need improvement. Make sure the managers aren't too bogged down with reports to actually help their reps. Keep the open door policy at the director level and keep on keepin' on.

"Inside Account Manager"

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the people
    Money is great in commission
    Free food
    Great learning opportunities
    Flexible Schedule
    Management cares about your growth and understanding

Cons

Low Salary
    and did I mention Low Salary, pay your employees more please

Advice to Management

Raise the Salary

"Inside Sales is expected to fix everything"

Current Employee - Inside Account Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent starting job, but not much room for advancement

Cons

Only matches up to $2k/yr 401(k)
    Once your salary is capped, raises are automatically $500 a year, regardless of performance or inflation
    Very little room for advancement
    Very little support from other departments, Inside Sales is expected to fix everyone's problems and if they make a mistake, you take the hit for it
    Very low pay for non-sales jobs means poor performance is expected
    Extremely large commission rate disparity between inside and outside sales
    Dental only covers up to $1k per year so if you need a root canal expect to pay out of pocket
    No options for working at home, flex time, summer hours, etc

Advice to Management

Improve pay, expect other departments to take care of their jobs instead of relying on sales to fix everything, and most importantly, take responsibility. When purchasing or returns or payroll makes a mistake, put the onus on them to fix it.

"It's too late to get in unless"

Current Employee - IAE in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IAE in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only good if you are just out of college looking for experience, as they will hire ANYONE.

Cons

CC, compensation shrinking in an industry where margins are continually shrinking already due to cloud and IAAS. They will have a hard job adjusting to the changes in the industry, and their hiring classes (25+) won't be sustainable into the near term. Perks aren't there, say they love their people and appreciate a fun culture, but do everything they can to capture more profit for their bottom line (and less to you). Worst thing is that they make these changes at a moments notice, giving no time to adjust your life, expenses, etc, accordingly. CEO is never present at any meetings, and up until I saw her a few weeks ago I honestly thought she was just an imaginary person.

Advice to Management

Reward your people better, 30k isn't enough, even Phil said that (hey Phil). You seem to lack the necessary abilities to run a business well, and "retain top talent". Clearly you recognize by the high employee churn rate. Stop trying to nitpick employees about the small stuff. If they are making you good money, you should be thankful and reward them instead of stingy with the profits. Short term bottom line numbers aren't the thing you should be focusing on. Focus on the long term, and reward employees, and you will see success. You seem to have no reservations about abruptly changing your employees lives without notice in the form of comp changes, and that's quite concerning. Resources aren't what they should be, and far too much is out on the rep to do, when they only make 12.5%. I would never recommend this company to a potential customer or employee. 1/10 score for management.

"Easily the worst management I've ever seen"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401k with annual matching and good benefits.

Ability in sales to set your own margins/pricing - overall flexibility with quoting customers.

Cons

Very few sick days/pto and upper management is not understanding in any way if more time is required.

One of my colleagues at SHI had breast cancer and she was harassed for taking time off during chemo and HR threatened to fire her over finding a better role for remote work. People would come in with the flu or worse to preserve their precious days off.

Middle management micromanages (to the tune of "write me a paper on why metrics are important") excessively. The overbearing management crushes any self-starter mentality and makes it hard to feel like anything but a number.

The whole office was having sex - c levels with hound sales reps, managers with people on their teams, etc. It was incredibly unprofessional and distracting.

There is advancement if you want to do sales - but if you are good at selling, any other software /hardware sales job will pay better.

This is the classic office job that people dread going to every morning when they wake up. The most successful sales reps said the same thing as the new, bright eyed bushy tailed hungry reps - it is an oppressive workplace.

Advice to Management

Attrition is expensive.
    Hire someone that can create sustainable employee happiness, and work from the ground up to train middle managers. It will save a ton of money and you won't lose valuable people.

"Good opportunity if you want it"

I have been working at SHI International full-time

Pros

Good energy and a lot of room to grow. If you put the effort in, you can find success here. Eligible for promotion or role change fairly quickly.

Cons

Lots of change. Constant change in management and top level leadership (not that big of a deal). Change in compensation plan.

Advice to Management

To senior leadership: Thoroughly inform the managers before releasing info to reps. Don't beat around the bush when explaining the changes to reps

"Everyone is a number"

I worked at SHI International full-time

Pros

Worked with some bright people and made good relationships.

Cons

Everyone is a number and there is absolutely no loyalty. Resources at remote offices are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Management needs to learn some soft skills unless they want to keep churning good people.

8. "Fun culture with lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - IAE
    Current Employee - IAE

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity to make money, fun events, unique culture

Cons

Rapid overnight changes and sometimes pointless campaigns.

"Lots of busy work and doesn't give you any real marketable skills to put on a resume."

Former Employee - Microsoft Contract Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Microsoft Contract Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great. It's a younger crowd so it's easy to make friends and can be very laid back.

Cons

Management can micromanage, they don't trust you at all. They constantly talk about how they're a 7 billion dollar company and yet they pay you squat.

10. "Evolving with the IT landscape"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to be now as it is consistently changing and evolving with the market that we are in. They have been putting a larger focus on recruitment lately and raising the bar on the talent that we are bringing in to work here. If you are looking for a place where they value hard work and independence- this is your place.

You need your work ethic, attitude, and effort to be above the normal to thrive! Don't expect to sit around and do the minimum metrics and make 6 figures. I was an IAE for two and a half years and I worked hard and made amazing money. I stayed late and treated my customers well and went above and beyond. We expect the same thing.

Join us if you think you are ready to raise the bar on customer experience.

Cons

People expect this job to be easy and for it to not take time. Put in the work to be successful and you will be. Stick around and give it time.

Advice to Management

Learn what your reps are learning and know your strengths.