SHI International Reviews in Somerset, NJ | Glassdoor

2.9
SHI International President and CEO Thai Lee
Thai Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is also great fantastic (in 15 reviews)

• Free food on occasion from Vendors (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not a lot of room for growth, and often the company hires less qualified people to positions in order to pay less (in 12 reviews)

• low pay, not much incentive to work hard unless in sales (in 20 reviews)

1. "Lots of busy work and doesn't give you any real marketable skills to put on a resume."

Former Employee - Microsoft Contract Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Microsoft Contract Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great. It's a younger crowd so it's easy to make friends and can be very laid back.

Cons

Management can micromanage, they don't trust you at all. They constantly talk about how they're a 7 billion dollar company and yet they pay you squat.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for especially if you're starting out from college - great opportunity to grow in leadership and company promotes from within. Lots of vendor gifts, cool toys, yearly raises & holiday bonus. Trips & amazing perks for top sales reps. Can choose work hours from 6:30-3:30 to 11-8p (late hours usually gets 3k bonus)

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on your team and your manager. Two different people at SHI can have two vastly different experiences. Some managers micromanage, teams can suck, lots of office politics and sometimes you have young immature managers since SHI hires a lot of kids straight from college. 9 hour work days (no paid lunch).

Advice to Management

Allow anonymous feedback of management during yearly reviews.

3. "Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and people, opportunity to travel to customer sites, many perks (gift cards, free lunches), flexible schedule.

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth, low pay for the volume of work, office politics.

4. "Inside Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lax atmosphere, run your own business

Cons

Exceptionally low base pay, weak market, odd positioning as extension of being a representative for an 'IT reseller' meaning you have very little tangible value as there is no specific product made so customers prerogatives are exceptionally paramount and not a social business environment, most pay depends on spiffs which are direct incentives paid by original equipment manufacturers such as HP, Dell, etc. so yes they have a great business model

Advice to Management

pay more and reps will stay, terminate quicker if need be-your prerogative if reps go/stay, not saying it's imperative for the business to flourish

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Purchasing Agent in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great young people, good culture, good benefits, nice work- life balance (mostly b/c they don't want to pay overtime), strong job security. I've honestly never seen or heard of someone getting fired.

Cons

Low pay for this industry, no chances to earn overtime, very low growth potential. Few chances to move up. The system is designed for high turnover.

Advice to Management

Do more to retain talent instead of constant hiring, get rid of bad employees, allow more work from home days.

6. "Accounts Payable Specialist"

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Representative in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Representative in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job is laid back, no micro managing, and not a job you have to take home with you. It is not stressful.

Cons

They pay, benefits, and PTO could be improved. Management should do a better job of motivating employees to do good work.

7. "Not many oppurtunities for Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Somerset, NJ

I worked at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere, good benefits.

Cons

No room for growth in accounting department & starting salary is really low

"Inside Account Manager"

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, for me, is amazing. People are genuinely friendly on a large scale & it is not uncommon to receive a smile or friendly head nod just while walking to the elevator or kitchen.

Dress code is casual which I love because some Mondays after a long weekend, you just want to throw on jeans and sneakers and run out the door. I don't think one should test their luck (every team is different) but jeans and a Polo will do just fine here (Ladies please translate your equivalent lol).

Overall great vibes here. There is corporate workplace drama like everywhere else and I've seen/heard the whispers that go on, but it' in no way sets the tone or negatively influences the overall atmosphere much. If you're not about that you'll barely notice it.

Cons

World Class Customer service turns into some sort of perverted obsession when they expect employees to come in during blizzards and such. Relax. Its not worth the risk to your life or well being to travel to work unless your work is saving other lives (i.e) Nurses, doctors, fireman, EMT, police officers, etc. We're not saving the world lol.

Low Pay. This is my biggest gripe. The company makes way to much money and making more ever year by relatively large percentages. We work in tech so we should be up on the times. In 2017, no one working in this field should be making less than 50k per year. SHI starts you around 30 for this position.

Advice to Management

Pay Better
    Value employees more than customers and partners (not the equally). Your employees will value the customers- they are the representative anyway.

Do this and this place will be ranked on best places to work in the country.

"Fun environment. Great job for new graduates."

I have been working at SHI International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are young and fun. If you get put on a good account you can make good money. If not, it won't be much fun.

Cons

Not a very professional work environment. I worked there when I got out of college and loved it but I don't think it's a company to stay at very long.

"software specialist"

Current Employee - Licensing Operations Specialist in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - Licensing Operations Specialist in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at SHI International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, great managers

Cons

low pay, low pay, low pay