SHYFT Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Zackary King

1. Featured Review

"A Place to Flourish"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SHYFT Analytics takes its culture and values seriously. The core values of the organization align with mine (and that alignment is what makes one flourish). It is a pleasure to come to work every day.
    The company is full of smart and dedicated people that work together as opposed to competing against one another.
    The open and collaborative environment is thoroughly challenging, stimulating and enjoyable. I love being around professionals that are willing to help each other and listen to each other. I am extremely proud to say that I work here.

Cons

It is a growing company, so there are opportunities to improve and/or implement processes in both engineering and business teams to carry out efficient development, business and sales activities.

Advice to Management

Please continue to be supportive and transparent. The environment is incredibly empowering.

"A fantastic place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere, positive employees and management that desires to see you grow. Their are many avenues for job growth and managers are happy to support varied paths to success.

Cons

Office is in Waltham. A light con, but a Boston office would be wonderful.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep focusing on employee growth and retention, it really makes the place special.

"Amazing Place for an Intern"

Current Employee - Internship in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Internship in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From Day 1 as an intern, I felt belonged here. because their culture setting is beautiful.
    The entire HR team is very supportive & direct, they spend at least 2 hours per week with all the interns.
    Will find smart people all around the company and easy to work with everyone of them.
    Best part, Interns get to work on real projects(client billing) and on different teams.
    loads of activities through the year - yoga classes/running clubs/ shuffle boards & more & then there's a summer outing.
    Good chances of converting your internship to full-time.

Cons

Still in the startup mode, need to figure out a proper employee seating arrangement.

Advice to Management

Take the internship program to the next level this year.
    Keep working on to get the processes right.

"Some Bright Spots"

Current Employee - Customer Success Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with intelligent and great people, and the solutions SHYFT offers are innovative and impactful to their clients

Like any organization, some managers are great, and some are just great individual contributors who were promoted without guidance. The managers that are great really make a difference. The organization is focusing on developing training for managers and across the board for all employees.

The company really does care about their culture, and has plenty of fun events that staff are encouraged to attend.

If you're young, this is a great place for initial career development, as long as you can demonstrate that you're ready for the next level.

Cons

Lack of clear expectations of managers makes experiences of direct reports vary by team and project. Some managers may lack leadership and project management skills required to enable efficient and successful teams. Furthermore, it seems that some managers create a toxic environment for their team at times. This isn't an issue that's specific to SHYFT, but it would be great if we could get ahead of it.

Long hours depending on project can reach very rough levels.

Additionally, the organization is currently trying to make significant, and important changes. However, a lack of standardized processes and clear planning on how to implement the changes are causing frustrating growing pains. Hopefully we will get past them in 2017.

Advice to Management

Promote employees who are both great individual contributors and have some LEADERSHIP skills to management positions. Creating a management training program is a great first step, but training sessions alone do not make good managers. The learnings from this training need to be continuously reinforced, and managers of all levels need to be coached and mentored. Please don't just put out a manager training and think that this alone will solve management problems.

"Good place to start career...depending on team"

Former Employee - Solution Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Solution Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent responsibilities right off the bat, if this is your first job out of college
    - Colleagues are super smart for the most part
    - Most people are friendly and helpful

Cons

- Managers tend to be incompetent, and often micro-manage
    - Long hours (mostly due to manager's not knowing how to push back on client)
    - Pay is below industry average
    - Company is branding itself as a product company, but every single solution is custom made
    - Was told it would be a "consulting" position, but really just data QA (and even much worse for other projects)

Advice to Management

- Invest in developing your managers
    - Do a better job at setting expectations from interview stages
    - Increase salaries across the board

Jan 25, 2017 – VP, Customer Success

Thanks so much for the feedback.  You’ve highlighted some areas that have been and continue to be a focus for us as we continue to grow and evolve SHYFT.   Most of our managers have grown up in our ... More

"Its Complicated"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good office culture
    - Coworkers are very smart
    - A good place to start your career
    -There are always snacks in the office
    - Flexible

Cons

- Lower than average salary
    - Constant mixed messages at a leadership level
    - Long working hours
    - Little improvement over time

Advice to Management

Improvements need to be concrete and trickle down, update salaries to meet Boston averages and cost of living, and lastly figure out how to make working hours more manageable.

Dec 9, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. You nailed it – growing a company this quickly while maintaining our culture and happy customers is complicated. Our success is currently our worst enemy and we’re working ... More

"Good Company, lots of internal complications"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Office culture is pretty good, lots of company events and things to do when you're not busy.
    - Location is good, especially if you live around Boston and have a car. If you rely on public transportation it may not be an ideal location (have to take commuter rail or buses).
    - There are a lot of smart people who understand what needs to change and what is causing issues for the company
    - Good place to start your career if you are fresh out of school (opportunities to learn both tech and business sides of the company quickly).
    - The people you work with are generally awesome and friendly, even if they are extremely stressed from project work.

Cons

- You are held to insanely short timelines for huge client projects. The scope of these projects are NEVER finalized and the business owners lets the client change whatever they want without consequence.

- Shyft is trying to convert to a "product" company while still allowing clients to have their solutions virtually customizable. You end up rarely being able to reuse any code or work from previous clients (only concepts).

- Shyft expanded (doubled in size) over the last year and most of these new hires were given little to no training on what we do. Projects suffered due to lack of understanding how we operate.

- The tech team's concerns on how products and client reports are created are virtually ignored if it means delaying deliverables or telling the client "No"

- Not a lot of Senior level technical employees outside of the product team. Resulting in tech team members with under 5 years of experience having to teach entry level employees "the ropes". Both entry-level and experienced employees (as well as project design and code) could benefit from having more senior level employees to learn from

- Salaries could be higher to meet national and local averages. Seems like the best way to get ahead here is to leverage other job offers.

Advice to Management

Learn to say NO to things we don't offer or haven't developed yet. Push back more or try harder to change deadlines if the clients are changing the scope of the work.

Dedicate more time and resources to creating reusable products and code.

Train people on what we do instead of putting them directly on projects immediately and setting up both the project and the person for failure.

Nov 14, 2016 – CEO

First I want to thank you for your open and honest feedback on our company. You echo a lot of what we talk about in our open company meetings and we’re making a lot of progress. We’ve entered a ... More

"Great company with huge potential!"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic products, focused and intelligent colleagues, great HR staff and a super culture that is collaborative and fun! SHYFT is a company that has been recognized for it's innovative solutions and we are pushing the market forward.

Cons

some growing pains as we scale; however, all of the challenges are solvable

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Startup opportunities with a minimum of drama"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

Most startups have a high degree of drama baked into their culture. This is usually driven by some combination of obsessiveness/narcissism/greed on the part of the founder/CEO that spreads to the management team and then down through the ranks. SHYFT has the least drama of the many startups I've worked for. It starts from having a very sane and grounded CEO. It is then is perpetuated through the work most of the company does, which is to work on large, deeply analytical projects for big clients.

Lots of internal promotions. The best people here are the ones who started here early in their career.

Cons

The company sometimes has a hard time balancing between its goal of being a product-driven software company while at the same time responding to its clients' desires, which are often for custom solutions.

Advice to Management

Figure out which products are most likely to be successful and focus on those. Don't try to meet every client need.

"A lot of energy and passion"

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*The company is currently seeing a lot of demand for our products and services which provides a significant amount of growth potential. Employees can get promoted quickly and reach managerial and executive levels faster than if they work in traditional firms
    *Multiple high value wins within large pharma and emerging biotechnology companies against very well respected companies is creating a lot of buzz within the industry
    *Improved operating model and a focus on hiring is evening out episodic working hours
    *Working environment is very entrepreneur, teams are constantly working together to improve the product with little bureaucracy

Cons

*Still need to add a lot of additional employees and skills to keep up with demand