SHYFT Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Zackary King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Winning culture creates winning teams, companies & customers"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

-Culture is perhaps the best I have ever experienced.
    -New hire training is top notch
    -The market is primed for our solutions and the possibilities for growth are nearly endless.
    -The office is warm, welcome and with all the creature comforts you'd expect if you were in downtown Boston or Silicon Valley.
    -Entire executive team, especially the CEO is incredibly approachable.

Cons

-Normal growing pains of a rapidly growing start-up. There could always be more process and systems, but largely I have found we know what those are and are empowered to fix them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This rising star has limitless potential

2. "New employee - on boarding and getting introduced to the org"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

* Culture is as advertised... upbeat, fun, friendly.
    * On boarding schedule is well though out, great overview introduction the organization.
    * People have gone out of their way to introduce themselves to me, very welcoming.

Cons

I'm new... so besides the traffic getting to Waltham I'm glad I made the decision to come here.

Advice to Management

Would be great to have a more contiguous space to better work together.

"Analyst"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

The people at SHYFT are the best part (by leaps and bounds). Young culture with lots of raw energy. The opportunity for growth and learning is mediocre, but it is up to the individual to seek it out (some of this is being absorbed as the company moves towards productizing). Products are awesome and have enormous potential to make an impact in the market, but remain untested. Pay is okay. Benes are great.

Cons

The company is going through a ‘transformation phase’, which means that talent is leaving and the company is grasping at straws to keep people as business objectives proceed. The company is not operating efficiently and there is very little collective experience (the exception being higher ups). Young culture translates to lots of fooling around. Transparency is okay. The need to know info is shared, but rumor mills run strong. I am not sure that the current business model and market potential warrants added growth.

Advice to Management

Mitigate gossip and poor attitudes. Stimulate and challenge the minds of your employees and provide them with the opportunity to learn. Right the customer side of the company and get those awesome products into the hands of customers!

Jul 11, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for your comments and feedback – I really appreciate you taking the time to write. I couldn’t agree more with what you like about SHYFT – we do have the best people and the best products. You... More

"A great foot in the door"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are good and inexpensive
    Staff is hard working and most genuinely care about the product and future of the company
    Fun environment

Cons

Location - the building is very nice but the area itself is not. Nothing much to do, would be better closer to Boston.

Management - many members of the management team have little to no experience managing people. SHYFTs only reward strategy is to promote into people-management roles which does not work and only hinders the career growth of employees. There are a number of people who shouldn't be managing a team who compensate by being too aggressive about their position.

HR - Concerned with Glassdoor reviews and forcing a "fun culture" but not much else. Most working here are annoyed by this and wish they'd understand forced fun doesn't equal fun. They also tend to be the gossip-center of the company even though they fired someone recently - it seemed like they were using this person as an example. That said they don't exactly know the best way of addressing situations and can be a bit rash. There have been complaints about inappropriate actions of other employees (of serious nature) that nothing has been done about.

Advice to Management

Figure out alternative promotion paths. Understand company goals and values and use them in practice (beyond "we're a fun place to work").

Apr 18, 2017 – VP, Customer Success

Thanks for sharing your candid feedback and concerns. We agree that there’s a need for an alternate growth path in Customer Success that isn’t dependent on project and/or people management. As... More

"Trouble in Paradise"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

High paced company with lots of responsibilities right off the bat. Great place to get a lot of experience right out of college and make a lasting impact on a company.

Fun culture - shuffle board, pool table, bar area and beer always in the fridge. People are for the most part sociable and easy to work with and like to have fun while also working hard.

Cons

Trying to shift from a consulting company to a product company while also expecting employees to work consultant hours. One team spent months without weekends due to high profile client and rocky implementation.

Classic growing pains, but to the extreme - sales team vastly oversells and company is forced to deliver with minimal resources -- leading to most employees are overworked and underpaid. (No overtime compensation of course)

Favoritism. Your reputation with coworkers and higher ups (whether you deserve it or not) is hard to shake. Everyone gossips - most of all HR which is baffling.

Lastly, review process is not transparent enough. If you're given a mediocre raise, you're given it with complements to how awesome you've been doing and no criticism to support why you don't deserve more.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on one on ones with your employees before more quit and the company is left with a lot of clients and no customer support. "Open door policy" from the higher ups doesnt seem convincing enough to guarantee confidentiality and support. Actions speak louder than words.

Mar 21, 2017 – VP, Talent

Thanks for providing your feedback. I’m glad you feel you have a place to safely discuss, although I (as well as the others from the SHYFT Leadership and Talent Teams) wish we got an opportunity to... More

"A fantastic place to grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office atmosphere, positive employees and management that desires to see you grow. Their are many avenues for job growth and managers are happy to support varied paths to success.

Cons

Office is in Waltham. A light con, but a Boston office would be wonderful.

Advice to Management

Make sure you keep focusing on employee growth and retention, it really makes the place special.

7. "Data analyst"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

A good place to start working without too much experience.

Cons

Salaries not competitive, so after a while if you are aggressive to earn more, then maybe difficult to stay long.

"High growth org - lots of new opportunities"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

Meritocracy - the right people rise
    Leadership willing to listen
    Agile approach to project implementation /product development
    Smart, passionate people
    Strong industry focus - unique positioning in the market

Cons

Remnants of consulting roots
    More focus on productization

Advice to Management

Let's continue the trajectory on becoming a product organization!

"Amazing Place for an Intern"

Current Employee - Internship in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Internship in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From Day 1 as an intern, I felt belonged here. because their culture setting is beautiful.
    The entire HR team is very supportive & direct, they spend at least 2 hours per week with all the interns.
    Will find smart people all around the company and easy to work with everyone of them.
    Best part, Interns get to work on real projects(client billing) and on different teams.
    loads of activities through the year - yoga classes/running clubs/ shuffle boards & more & then there's a summer outing.
    Good chances of converting your internship to full-time.

Cons

Still in the startup mode, need to figure out a proper employee seating arrangement.

Advice to Management

Take the internship program to the next level this year.
    Keep working on to get the processes right.

"Some Bright Spots"

Current Employee - Customer Success Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with intelligent and great people, and the solutions SHYFT offers are innovative and impactful to their clients

Like any organization, some managers are great, and some are just great individual contributors who were promoted without guidance. The managers that are great really make a difference. The organization is focusing on developing training for managers and across the board for all employees.

The company really does care about their culture, and has plenty of fun events that staff are encouraged to attend.

If you're young, this is a great place for initial career development, as long as you can demonstrate that you're ready for the next level.

Cons

Lack of clear expectations of managers makes experiences of direct reports vary by team and project. Some managers may lack leadership and project management skills required to enable efficient and successful teams. Furthermore, it seems that some managers create a toxic environment for their team at times. This isn't an issue that's specific to SHYFT, but it would be great if we could get ahead of it.

Long hours depending on project can reach very rough levels.

Additionally, the organization is currently trying to make significant, and important changes. However, a lack of standardized processes and clear planning on how to implement the changes are causing frustrating growing pains. Hopefully we will get past them in 2017.

Advice to Management

Promote employees who are both great individual contributors and have some LEADERSHIP skills to management positions. Creating a management training program is a great first step, but training sessions alone do not make good managers. The learnings from this training need to be continuously reinforced, and managers of all levels need to be coached and mentored. Please don't just put out a manager training and think that this alone will solve management problems.