SHYFT Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 18, 2018

4.1
Zackary King

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Talented professionals, seasoned leadership, fun and fast paced" (in 5 reviews)

• "It’s been really cool to see and I am nothing but optimistic in knowing that they are committed to making this a great place to be" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I wouldn't call them "cons" but "growing pains" or "challenges":" (in 6 reviews)

• "Our words say we're a product company, but our actions say we're still a consulting services company" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"In It To Win It!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are by far SHYFTs greatest asset, we work with some of the smartest individuals at the intersection of analytics, life sciences and business. Fast paced dynamic culture and a myriad of learning opportunities if you are willing to take them. Recently moved to unlimited vacation backed by a commitment by management to increase the amount of vacation employees take (this is awesome!), high performance culture, direct feedback and transparent conversations encouraged. Another recent positive development has been the hiring of top talent at director, manager and consultant levels which has brought in new ideas, process and enthusiasm on the opportunity we have here at SHYFT. These actions in my view prove SHYFT is ‘In It To Win It’.

Cons

I have had the privilege at working at a few larger startups in the Greater Boston community in the past 6 years and this has helped me put my experience at SHYFT in context. SHYFT like other rapid growth companies has more work to do around systems and process, there is also a great opportunity around internal mobility and opening opportunities for growth for employees on other teams. These and other challenges in my view are not new to SHYFT or any other similar size company, what encourages me greatly is that the leadership and managers are aware of this and working to progress in these areas.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower and engage managers and directors in decision making, the recent skip level meetings have been amazing in allowing for this happen.

SHYFT Analytics Response

Jan 30, 2018 – VP, Talent

Thank you so much for sharing. Your advice is spot on. I see 2018 as a very transformative year for SHYFT. We have a lot of hard work to do, but you all make it worth doing. Thanks again for your... More

"New hire on boarding"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Shyft dedicates significant time and resources to talent development for all employees on an ongoing basis and new hire on boarding especially when considering that it is still in high growth start-up phase. Having worked for both large public companies and startups before both as a hiring manager as well as an individual contributor , I have been really impressed thus far with new hire on boarding that I’m going through. I’ve previously experienced both positive on boarding experiences and terrible ones that made me immediately regret my choosing to join the company. Shyft has been a very positive experience. Specifically, Shyft and employees make one feel very welcome from day 1 including company announcement of new hire, welcome greeting card / t-shirt from talent, well thought out on boarding “curriculum “ that gives one critical time in the corporate office to go through training sessions as well as remote,, learn corporate culture and meet fellow employees in a reasonable amount of time versus trying to cram it all in within 1 week as some companies do. As a new, remote-based employee, I have really appreciated this and overall welcoming attitude and helpfulness of everyone.

Cons

Truly, very little to critique with onboarding. Some of the sequencing of the training sessions could use some tweaking. Sometimes, one is getting an initial deeper dive into a solution BEFORE understanding different parts of the organization and operational function. This can be confusing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing- It’s working well. Small suggested Tweaks: Do your best to schedule more macro onboarding sessions initially. Have new hire tip sheet sent electronically in outlook on day 1 to new employee so that all of hyperlinks to various sites are easily accessible.print out map of conference rooms and key company buzz words/definitions in new hire packet on day 1.

3. "Business Analyst"

I worked at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth. Friendly and casual atmosphere.

Cons

Commuting to Waltham is not convenient for some employees.

4. "Great Onboarding!"

Current Employee - CS Business in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - CS Business in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Disclaimer: I started at SHYFT two weeks ago so my review is for the on boarding process and my experiences so far. Will update as time goes on.

So far very impressed with how efficient the on boarding process has been. All of the trainings I have attended have been timed according to subject so as not to take up more time than necessary. SHYFT has also spaced a number of these out so as not to overwhelm new hires. Much of the paperwork was available for online signature (save those trees!) which I found refreshing. HR team here is awesome and responds very quickly to any questions one might have. Very impressed so far.

Cons

A couple things were not as explicitly spelled out such as date the benefits took effect and pay schedule. That said, they disseminated a lot of information at once and a lot of it is online so this may be my own shortcoming in not yet knowing where to look for these.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! :)

"What you need to know ..."

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation time, remote opportunities, free snacks, training program, some genuinely nice people will attract applicants and current employees. You should offer these things when your BA/Solution Consultants are extremely hard at work. If you are new to the workforce, gain your experience here and move on.

Cons

Waltham location (which should soon change to Boston) - commute is horrible with not much around to do/eat in the current location.

Onboarding needs improvement - while they offer a series of internal training courses, not all of them should be applied to each new hire. Courses should be applicable against the actual experience incurred by the individual (experienced vs. recent grads with no prior work experience).

Work environment - is pretty decent however, you will find that it feels a lot like college atmosphere.

Responsibilities - title of positions can be confusing but really are made up of Business Analysts aka Solution Consultants, Project Managers aka Engagement Managers. If you think you will be coming in to focus on Analytics, you are wrong. SHYFT is more of a consultant organization rather than a true product organization. Lots of Business Analysts responsibilities = requirements gathering, client presentations and documentation, meeting minutes, QA testing as opposed to testing being dedicated to a true test team. Proceed with caution if this is not your intent in day to day responsibilities.

Not much room for growth - you either come in as a BA/Solution Consultant and maybe move up to a Sr. Solution Consultant. Ahead of that, is the Engagement Manager aka Project Manager and Director roles. It pretty much stops there and is not much more interesting than that. This can be perfect for those who do not have experience in this line of business.

Team Structure - you will notice a lot of "younger" professionals here in the BA/Solution Consultant roles doing the majority of the hard work. Most of the "adult" professionals here are in upper management roles.

Overall, not too much to see here and not as exciting as I thought it was going to be. The picture is painted to be really exciting but truthfully, it is not as bright as some make it out to be.

Advice to Management

Onboarding can take months which can lead to a pretty slow and boring startup as a new employee. Speed this process up and assign projects a bit more quickly.

Solution Consultants have a lot to conquer on a daily basis. Free up some of their time with other qualified resources to balance time and efforts more efficiently. Ex: Testing and hiring more professionals to balance project responsibilities and backup.

Perhaps offer opportunities to perform true analytics rather than simply offering a product to manage client data.

"Solution Architect"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect

I worked at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. They do have a promising product in making, but a product needs not just skilled engineers but like and right minded people. That’s totally missing from leadership.

Cons

Definitely the worst decision of my career was accepting role at this company. No room for people who challenge status quo. I, me, myself leadership style.

SHYFT Analytics Response

Apr 27, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback and I'm truly sorry you had a bad experience at SHYFT. We are relentlessly committed to transparency and scaling our unique culture. To that end, I'd like to offer up the... More

"Awesome Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Solutions Developer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Solutions Developer in Waltham, MA

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, learning environment, fast paced, good benefits, high performers are recognized, free coffee (cold brew)

Cons

Gossip/political games. Lots of managers with not so many employees underneath them. No clear career path. Work life balance is a struggle. Commute isn't great, Waltham is convenient to no one via public transportation.

Advice to Management

Try to keep the gossip and political games to a minimum. Remember that your people are people first, not just allocations to different projects. Keep the cold brew coming and I think we can change the world!

"Still finding its way"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time

Pros

Hyper-growth. Lots of opportunity for responsibility and taking on new challenges, so it's very hard to be bored. Friendly and casual atmosphere.

Cons

Our words say we're a product company, but our actions say we're still a consulting services company. Lots of unnecessary (IMHO) administrative and management process being introduced as we continue to grow. Working in Waltham is less exciting than downtown, Cambridge, or Somerville.

Advice to Management

Substitute process for personal relationships with employees. There's is a cost to tracking and cataloging every metric. If you feel like it's difficult to know what's going on w/o those metrics because of the size of the company, make sure you hire good managers who you can trust to be your proxy.

"Comfortable but restrictive"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in Waltham, MA

I worked at SHYFT Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-VERY comfortable, social, friendly company atmosphere
    -Relaxed dress code
    -Lots of snacks and coffee
    -Monthly company status meetings from Execs, very open about plans and current company status, also takes input seriously
    -'Work comes first' policy, I.e. as long as your work is done as scheduled, hours aren't super important.
    -Generous bonus package
    -Management listens to your requests if you're interested in taking on different tasks or learning new skills used elsewhere at company
    -if you prove yourself you'll be taken seriously even at a junior level
    -Waltham office means reverse commute if the location is convenient, not convenient if you don't have a car
    -Coworkers have a high chance of becoming great friends

Cons

-Flat software stack
    -'Work comes first' policy often backfires as mismanagement in scheduling results in late hours to get things done last minute
    -Dichotomy in teams presents blatant respect and priority issues
    -Tech talent is below average
    -late hours are frequent due to mismanagement at the senior level, avoid this by being proactive and practice self-discipline for work/life balance
    -Code handed down from other teams is often buggy, undocumented, and unsupported, and will be left up to you to fix, as priority is on new implementations

Advice to Management

Shyft prefers to hire new grads with 'potential' and not necessarily relevant education background. This, over time, results in a tech team without much tech talent aside from their immediate job requirements.; which they are extensively trained up in after being hired. While comfortable, this limit future job prospects and brings down the team in the long run, as the team has to rely on senior staff or tech leads for anything non-trivial. Focus on hiring talented individuals and pay more for them.

There is strong and obvious preferential treatment to business side employees vs developers, which should be addressed and evened out.

Advice to prospective tech-hires: Its a solid company with great co-workers, if you want to be a Software Engineer, the Customer Success team at Shyft isn't for you,
    if you want to be a Database Engineer (not DevOps), this is the place for you. Advancement up in the company is fairly straight forward and rewards good work, but your technical stack will be limited to SQL.

"Amazing culture and people"

I have been working at SHYFT Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joining SHYFT has been one of the best career decisions I've made! Being a new employee can be tough but SHYFT has an amazing on boarding process and makes you feel like part of organization and culture from day one. Everyone's willing to answer any questions you have and seem genuinely excited to hear new ideas on how things can be more efficient or better

Cons

Commute to Waltham not ideal for everybody, it's a really beautiful facility though

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing!