SICK USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

3.7
Tony Peet

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work, don't plan on moving up"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist II in Stoughton, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist II in Stoughton, MA

I have been working at SICK USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits, very inclusive and welcoming company atmosphere. Pay is very comparable and/or above average to similar positions. Definitely a company worth retiring at, if you are content in your position.

Cons

Absolutely no training program or desire to provide any training. No room to grow or move up, and an extreme lack of consistency in leadership.

Advice to Management

Managers need to have actual management skills, perhaps requiring more formal education. There is a definite tendency to undermine subordinates who are attempting to contribute, but are perceived as threats to their job security

2. "Decent pay and benefits, Management = Good ole boys club"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Savage, MN
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Savage, MN

I worked at SICK USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off, Pay, benefits and co-workers

Cons

You will be looking for work in 2 years after you are fully vested.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring/turning over employees to create value for themselves.

"Assembler 3"

Former Employee - Supervisor in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in El Paso, TX

I worked at SICK USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Employees ate friendly if you kiss there XXY
    If you like working with people that have no desire to take on management this is the place for you

Cons

Management colicky with certain employees. Management smoke more than doing their job.

Advice to Management

Stop smoking outside every 30 minutes. Management needs to go to college. Supervisors are lazy and week. Can't stand up for their employees.plus they love to make their own rules.

4. "Good environment, but lots of restrictions"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SICK USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had some good technology to work with and weren't too afraid to spend money on the right solutions. The people were mostly appreciative and you actually got praise for the accomplishments that were done instead of the usual "it's quiet so you know you're doing well"

Cons

Unable to perform quite a few key duties because of restrictions from HQ in Germany. Mid-level managers approve every unreasonable request from employees without giving much thought to it. IT Manager there is a Project Manager and does not listen to technical experts.

Advice to Management

Germany needs to give some freedom and access to the larger subsidiaries. Local management is doing well.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SICK USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for SICK is team work, everyone helps each other out to get product finished on time. Once you have proven yourself and you have the trust of others many obtains open up to you. It can be a very fast paced and challenging work environment which I loved. Management is great; they love new ideas or different ways of tackling a problem. You will like working at this company!

Cons

As someone has already pointed out, Germany calls the shots. Though many changes have been made, almost everything (large changes, product builds, pricing etc…) needs to go by Germany. It is a tuff job, you will be required to work a lot of hours, suggest putting your foot down up front or you will be worked very hard. Pay is a little low.

Advice to Management

You all are doing a great job, keep pushing back on AG.

"Sick is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Sick is a great company. They have extremely dedicated people that all want to help you succeed. I have never worked anywhere else that had so many people that were genuinely interested in doing everything possible to see that the company did well. No malcontents, no whiners - it is great. What a great place to work. I am a salesman and all they do is try to make sure we have everything we need to go out and sell. They try to make sure that the goals of the company are the goals they set for us and that we are happy. Highly recommended.

Cons

Communication scored poorly because I don't feel like we hear what they are working on at all. But I am not sure that we would at any company. I am not sure that it is really needed. But I do feel that more communication could be done. I also feel like the feedback portion is a bit light. One annual review each year and it felt like an afterthought. Not much of a career tool for me, and probably just addressing a guideline for them. Sort of a dud of an approach, but I only mention it being bad because there is nothing else to complain about...

Advice to Management

Communicate more. And more often. The meetings were a good idea and shouldn't be left to die.

7. "Manufacturing Technician II"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at SICK USA as a contractor

Pros

Very friendly work environment. Kind, diverse group and overall great place to work.

Cons

Commute was rough. Communication between Technical team was sketchy.

Advice to Management

Ask input from a larger population of employees, i.e. supervisors, other workers within the Technical Team during review time. There are more than a couple voices in the company.

8. "Great Employer"

I worked at SICK USA full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, dedicated, smart people that work there, innovative technologies, company growing

Cons

High turnover, immense growth and lack of prioritization and restructuring that has eliminated roles and/or moved people into less challenging roles

9. "Great company and people!""

Pros

Great products and great managers. Management truly cares about the success of their salespeople. Great reputation within the industry. Culture is very professional and results focused. The best benefits I have heard of.

Cons

I have heard that competitors pay is more competitive. Other than that everything I have encountered has been very positive.

Advice to Management

Consider having higher base salaries for sales people. Competitors are know to have more competitive base salaries before commission.

"Overall good place to work."

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

Pros

Fair & balanced management style. Decent benefits, pay a little low compared to competitors. Good staff; most everyone is interested in doing the right thing for external and internal customers. Can be a little slow on the uptake with ideas for business growth (SICK AG German HQ calls the shots).

Cons

German HQ calls the shots.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, lobby SICK AG for more autonomy in developing new products/business opportunities.