SIGMAnet Reviews | Glassdoor

Ahmed Al Khatib

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work"

I worked at SIGMAnet full-time

Pros

Variety of work, always something new.

Cons

Sales oriented company, if you're not into that.

2. "Sales Focused"

I have been working at SIGMAnet full-time

Pros

-401K
    -Medical & Dental Plan
    -Family team dynamic

Cons

-Acquisition
    -Sales Performance intensive
    -stressful work environment

3. "Vice President of Sales"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at SIGMAnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and strong management

Cons

high turnover which lead to some confusion in roles

Advice to Management

stay focused on core business

4. "Run"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Ontario, CA

I worked at SIGMAnet (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every Friday morning they would bring in breakfast.

Cons

Culture, atmosphere, work ethics, all are questionable.

5. "Its a disaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

Pros

Only a sadistic person would have pros to write here.

Cons

There are only cons to working here. I started looking for a new job on my first day. I knew immediately that everything on Glassdoor was true. I found a new job in days, and got the eff out.

Advice to Management

Fire every manager and start over

6. "NOC/Managed Services"

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. Also occasional dinner events and Christmas parties are a plus.

Cons

HIGH turnover in NOC. Gain experience and leaving is the typical route for most engineers.

7. "Good place to start at."

I worked at SIGMAnet full-time

Pros

Great location that goes against majority of morning traffic. Well stocked facilities and professional atmosphere. Coworkers were friendly and approachable.

Cons

Lack of interaction between departments. No clear representation of the company direction. Apart from that, not much to report on cons at SigmaNET. Primarily sales, yes, but they operate at a professional level and know what they are doing to the letter.

Advice to Management

Provide a transparent plan on job progression and responsibilities. Promote team building and team work across the company and simply within teams individually.

"Unorganized"

Current Employee - Engineer in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Ontario, CA

I have been working at SIGMAnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to be exposed to some of the latest and greatest technologies. Recently got bought by another company. Coming changes can only be good, but how long will that take?

Cons

Very unorganized company. If you're an engineer don't ever say you're slightly familiar with a technology unless you want to be thrown to the wolves without any help. They'll throw you out there and then give you crap about why the project is taking too long.

Advice to Management

Take the time to slow down to build a solid foundation or build a team to help you. Develop a proper on-boarding process for employees. Actually give performance reviews to ALL employees, not just the ones you want to fire or give a raise to.

Stop trying to squeeze every last drop of productivity out of your engineers. The service delivered suffers and the customers see it. Give employees time to actually do a fantastic job.

Listen or keep watching your best engineers go to competing VARs.

"This place gets away with murder"

Former Employee - Network Engineer
    Former Employee - Network Engineer

I worked at SIGMAnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not have any pros to highlight about this place. There are plenty of cons though, but I won't share them here either.

Instead, I will cut the gossip and highlight facts such as California overtime laws, cited from the Department of Industrial Relations. I would recommend searching for "California overtime exemptions" for full details.

To summarize, any technical engineer (whether salaried or hourly) is exempt from overtime laws ONLY if these five criteria are met:
    1. Your primary* work is intellectual or creative and requires the exercise of discretion and independent judgment.
    2. Your primary function is consulting, design, creation, prototyping/testing, or documentation of computer/computer-related systems.
    3. You are highly skilled in the theoretical and practical application of highly specialized information to computer systems analysis, programming, and software engineering. Determined by work performed and not your job title.
    4. As of Jan 1st, 2015, you are being paid the equivalent of $41.27/hr, or $85,981.40 annually. Rates are adjusted annually.
    5. You are not a junior engineer learning how to do your job, and can do your work independently without close supervision.

* Primary = More than 50% of your time

If you don't fulfill all five criteria, you are entitled to overtime. I leave it to the more legally versed to determine if SIGMAnet's technical positions meet the criteria for not giving overtime pay, which is a common practice here.

Why do I highlight this? It is my experience at SIGMAnet that overtime abuses are endemic. Management will assign or turn a blind eye to weekend work, ignore the brutal demands of on-call shifts, request emergency support for customer issues, etc. without restraint or employee consideration. Coming in early, staying late, and doing 10-12+ hours daily is the norm, not the exception. But being salaried does not automatically preclude you from overtime pay unless the above conditions are met.

Until managers and the company are held accountable to the eight hour workday and dutifully approve all overtime work at any time that a 24/7 service might require, or commit to paying qualifying engineers a minimum salary of $85,981.40, I would not recommend SIGMAnet to a friend.

Cons

Please see previous reviews from other contributors and take heed. This is real life experience folks. SIGMAnet employees are talented, hard working, and can be team players to a fault but only so much punishment can be taken before burnout or quitting happens.

Advice to Management

Be transparent and provide education about overtime laws to new hires, right from the start. Train them on how SIGMAnet translates these laws to internal policies and procedures, and how to handle an improper request from a superior that would put the company at risk for legal action.

"be prepared"

Pros

talented engineers, cutting edge, good training opportunities

Cons

too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Advice to Management

hire more engineers