SIMCO Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Brian Kenna

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic company to start and build your career!"

Current Employee - Director, Program Development
    Current Employee - Director, Program Development

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT PLACE TO WORK!! I'm challenged each day, motivated to do my best and feel supported by my management team.

Cons

I have none at this time.

Advice to Management

Very collaborative environment where management empower employees to voice opinions and ideas ...keep up the good work!

Oct 24, 2017 – SIMCO Management

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are fortunate to have such hard working employees! Keep up the great work and we wish you nothing but success at SIMCO.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Richardson, TX

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SIMCO is a fast paced and competitive company that demand allot from their technicians, but finds a way to maintain a culture of quality and family values above all else. If you do the job well, you go home with your head held high at the end of the day which I couldn't say at my previous employer in the area.

Cons

Erratic workflow coming in to the lab can be hectic and difficult to deal with at times. Overtime is sometimes required to deal with the surges.

Advice to Management

Find a way to provide more cross training and provide more technical (non-OJT) training to the staff.

Oct 19, 2017 – SIMCO Management

Thank you for your feedback. SIMCO is always looking for ways to improve our processes and would welcome any ideas you have to help. We are continually focused on training our staff and strive to... More

3. "Customer Service Supervisor/Buyer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely friendly work environment.

Cons

Extremely fast paced work environment, I don't consider this a con but some might.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Oct 19, 2017 – SIMCO Management

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for SIMCO. We are grateful to have such hardworking Customer Service Representatives!

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SIMCO Electronics is a great place to work. I came to SIMCO from a larger company where I felt more like a number than a team member. SIMCO has a family business feel that is getting hard to find. There is a focus on quality here and hard work is rewarded. At SIMCO you have a chance to grow your skills and learn new ones. As the company grows you can advance into management, quality, and technical rolls. I started with SIMCO as a technician and have moved forward to a supervisory position. The upper management team is very open and encourages their employees to approach them for guidance. I feel that my leaders want me to do well and do their best to set me up for success. Anyone will do well at SIMCO as long as you are focused on customer satisfaction, quality, and honesty in everything you do.

Cons

Advancement can require relocation. I guess that is the same anywhere you work too though.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open and honest with your employees.

Oct 19, 2017 – SIMCO Management

SIMCO values your feedback. We are a family run business that values work life balance. While many of our employees do work hard, SIMCO also rewards our employee with promotions, pay increase and... More

5. "Sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None worst company to work for

Cons

They are a good ok boy company if your not friends with the boss they will fire you and make up the reasons

Advice to Management

Do an audit

Oct 13, 2017 – SIMCO Management

We are sorry SIMCO was not the best career fit for you. SIMCO prides themselves on their management in each lab by mandating them to provide yearly reviews, check-in and growth within the... More

6. "Santa Clara"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The growth opportunity within SIMCO is always available. If management feels that you are a strong employee they will invest in training you in other areas. The people that work for SIMCO are really friendly no matter what department you work in. I enjoy working with my team. My manager is probably the best manager I have had since I started my career.

Cons

No company provided lunches or breakfasts only on special events.

Jun 12, 2017 – SIMCO Management

Your kind words are appreciated. We hope you thrive in all opportunities presented to you at SIMCO.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SIMCO is a great company to work for and offers great benefits, has friendly co-workers & upper management, offers great services and tenure to those seeking stability. In the past couple of years there have been many changes made throughout the organization that have made SIMCO become more innovative. SIMCO is truly a great company to work for and I really can't wait to see what the future holds.

Cons

Decrease the cost of benefit premiums that employees have to pay per paycheck.

Advice to Management

Look into cost of living when doing pay increases. Acknowledge more employees throughout the organization and offer a rewards program.

May 18, 2017 – SIMCO Management

SIMCO greatly appreciates your feedback and positive outlook on SIMCO. Our employees are our most valuable assets and we strive to provide them best possible benefit programs. We look forward to... More

8. "One of the worst places I ever worked"

I worked at SIMCO Electronics (More than a year)

Pros

They offered employee paid insurance with employee only paid premiums. But, what's really so "PRO" about that?

Cons

Starting salary for position was low. Was told by upper tier manager at the time that my offer was all that was allowed for the position. After accepting the position, I was told by the Branch Manager that the starting salary I had asked for was well within the ranges for my position. One year later, the same Branch Manager did not submit the required paperwork "in time" for anyone in the Branch to receive a small cost of living raise. A short time later a new "Upper Manager" paid a visit to our Branch and held private meetings with each of us. When asked, I expressed my concern over the pay issue I had encountered including the reason given for the cost of living raise issue. His response included the words "I'm going to have to keep an eye on you."
    This company is primarily staffed by ex military men from the Navy. In my experience, any female or non-military veteran is treated extremely poorly and subjected to the "Good 'Ole Boy" mentality.

Advice to Management

Private sector employment is NOT the military. I truly hope you have changed your "behind closed doors" behavior. If not, it would not surprise me to learn that discrimination law suits have been quietly settled.

May 18, 2017 – SIMCO Management

We are sorry SIMCO was not the best career fit for you. However we wish you the best in your future endeavors. SIMCO offers competitive wages, benefits and 401k plans to all employee. Many of our... More

9. "SIMCO"

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best job I have had! Strong management, fast pace and a great work environment.

Cons

Traffic- it's very hectic in the morning

Jan 10, 2017 – SIMCO Management

Thank you for the kind words. SIMCO is honored to have you on our team!

10. "Very Poor Lab Leadership, Bad Work-Place Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can get away with doing the minimum, like some do.

Friendly corporate management and staff. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to get involved with the lab's work culture. I tried to reach out many times up to the corporate management, but no results. This was for the main lab that shared the building with corporate office in Santa Clara.

Cons

You can get away with doing the minimum, pass the job and have someone else finish it.

I don't even know where to start. This is for the main lab in Santa Clara where I worked for almost 5 years, holding the same position with no raise. I asked for trainings for open positions numerous times, inquired about potential promotions, always told to wait. In the mean time, they always hired new people to fill them up, especially the lab management positions.

Toward the end of my employment, 2 employees had nervous breakdowns, were out for a week each. Several employees left for other opportunities, which was so obvious they came just so they had something to do while looking.

Not much done to encourage employees retention. Lack of training created lack of work-flow uniformity. In return creates its own stumbles and slow-downs. Everyone is always asked to work hard, put over time. We were in constant over time, not realizing that tired employees make more mistakes, which in return they get yelled at (more on this later).

People are encouraged to be creative, but they're expected to do things as told. It creates conflicts and so-called expert technicians hired ended up getting frustrated. Some felt they ended up doing things they were not hired for.

Similarly goes for team work... it's just a saying they love to throw around, where in reality, there is no such thing. It's more of 'everyone for him/herself'. For example, lack of supplies, people have to fight even for staples, chair. I know 3 technicians that have been buying their own Scotch, masking tapes, and pens. How can one start with a good day when he/she has to figure out where to sit? It creates a frustrating work environment and tensions between the technicians.

I brought this up to the lab manager and his response was people tend to forget and will 'borrow' from the next bench. People can be trained to be more courteous and thoughtful with each other, especially if it's part of the work-place culture, but it was very clear he does not want to establish that. Being the lab's #1 person, he has all the power to do so.

It's bad practice to not promote from within. In fact I saw none when I was there, I never saw a single inside promotion. One of the many times I asked for the opportunity I was answered that they prefer people with military background.

Lab supervisors don't know how to treat their people, some used to get yelled out publicly. When I inquired about it, the main supervisor would say the one supervisor played the 'bad cop' to enforce the rules. Really? In this day and age, people still get away running a business this way?

Another supervisor is publicly known in the lab to hate dealing with people. How could one be a supervisor if he's missing the main skill... to deal with people?

Supervisors also tend to brag about how they run the place, calling it 'my lab', I hardly hear any empowering words, no leading by examples, a lot by yelling and putting people down. If only these supervisors knew how to make people want to work for them, instead of how to make them work... they would've gotten so much more done. Not to mention people would've been so much happier.

Advice to Management

Training is not what the Santa Clara Lab need the most. They need an overhaul especially the top people. They've been so desperate to hire new people they even throw money at some of them, but it doesn't work. I've seen some of these technicians ended up being unhappy. First of all, people don't work just for the money. In this situation, they will end up doing less, being less productive and cutting into profit. People need to feel happy at work, be matter and empowered (treated like professional adults), then productivity will go up. Second, spend on those who are already there. Third, put people who truly care about others to run the place.

When the lab management can care of their employees, treat them like human beings, in return the employees will give more and you will see results.

A past Porsche CEO said the most important people in the company are the employees. Care for them and they will do their best, in return will satisfy the customers, which will add to profit, which would make the shareholders happy and finally pay for everyone.

FInally, please don't say you wish former employees would tell you when they were still there. An employee tend to not want to say anything for fear of retaliation. A former employees will be much more honest about it, you should reach out to them if you really care to find out what's really going on.

Dec 7, 2016 – SIMCO Management

We’re sorry your experience at SIMCO wasn’t as positive as we both would have liked it to be. In the past year, our new CEO has placed a priority on improving our employee review process, training... More