SIMCO Electronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Kenna

1. "Great Company w New Management"

Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great team of co-worker, dedicated to metrology
    - Management seems open to new ideas
    - Appreciative customers

Cons

- Occasionally long overtime
    - Demanding Customers
    - Silicon Valley traffic, expense

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Thanks for your comments. Our management is indeed sensitive to overtime issues and tries to match overtime needs with each employee’s desire for overtime. And yes, our Santa Clara headquarters is ... More

2. "Very Poor Lab Leadership, Bad Work-Place Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can get away with doing the minimum, like some do.

Friendly corporate management and staff. Unfortunately they don't seem to want to get involved with the lab's work culture. I tried to reach out many times up to the corporate management, but no results. This was for the main lab that shared the building with corporate office in Santa Clara.

Cons

You can get away with doing the minimum, pass the job and have someone else finish it.

I don't even know where to start. This is for the main lab in Santa Clara where I worked for almost 5 years, holding the same position with no raise. I asked for trainings for open positions numerous times, inquired about potential promotions, always told to wait. In the mean time, they always hired new people to fill them up, especially the lab management positions.

Toward the end of my employment, 2 employees had nervous breakdowns, were out for a week each. Several employees left for other opportunities, which was so obvious they came just so they had something to do while looking.

Not much done to encourage employees retention. Lack of training created lack of work-flow uniformity. In return creates its own stumbles and slow-downs. Everyone is always asked to work hard, put over time. We were in constant over time, not realizing that tired employees make more mistakes, which in return they get yelled at (more on this later).

People are encouraged to be creative, but they're expected to do things as told. It creates conflicts and so-called expert technicians hired ended up getting frustrated. Some felt they ended up doing things they were not hired for.

Similarly goes for team work... it's just a saying they love to throw around, where in reality, there is no such thing. It's more of 'everyone for him/herself'. For example, lack of supplies, people have to fight even for staples, chair. I know 3 technicians that have been buying their own Scotch, masking tapes, and pens. How can one start with a good day when he/she has to figure out where to sit? It creates a frustrating work environment and tensions between the technicians.

I brought this up to the lab manager and his response was people tend to forget and will 'borrow' from the next bench. People can be trained to be more courteous and thoughtful with each other, especially if it's part of the work-place culture, but it was very clear he does not want to establish that. Being the lab's #1 person, he has all the power to do so.

It's bad practice to not promote from within. In fact I saw none when I was there, I never saw a single inside promotion. One of the many times I asked for the opportunity I was answered that they prefer people with military background.

Lab supervisors don't know how to treat their people, some used to get yelled out publicly. When I inquired about it, the main supervisor would say the one supervisor played the 'bad cop' to enforce the rules. Really? In this day and age, people still get away running a business this way?

Another supervisor is publicly known in the lab to hate dealing with people. How could one be a supervisor if he's missing the main skill... to deal with people?

Supervisors also tend to brag about how they run the place, calling it 'my lab', I hardly hear any empowering words, no leading by examples, a lot by yelling and putting people down. If only these supervisors knew how to make people want to work for them, instead of how to make them work... they would've gotten so much more done. Not to mention people would've been so much happier.

Advice to Management

Training is not what the Santa Clara Lab need the most. They need an overhaul especially the top people. They've been so desperate to hire new people they even throw money at some of them, but it doesn't work. I've seen some of these technicians ended up being unhappy. First of all, people don't work just for the money. In this situation, they will end up doing less, being less productive and cutting into profit. People need to feel happy at work, be matter and empowered (treated like professional adults), then productivity will go up. Second, spend on those who are already there. Third, put people who truly care about others to run the place.

When the lab management can care of their employees, treat them like human beings, in return the employees will give more and you will see results.

A past Porsche CEO said the most important people in the company are the employees. Care for them and they will do their best, in return will satisfy the customers, which will add to profit, which would make the shareholders happy and finally pay for everyone.

FInally, please don't say you wish former employees would tell you when they were still there. An employee tend to not want to say anything for fear of retaliation. A former employees will be much more honest about it, you should reach out to them if you really care to find out what's really going on.

Dec 7, 2016 – SIMCO Management

We’re sorry your experience at SIMCO wasn’t as positive as we both would have liked it to be. In the past year, our new CEO has placed a priority on improving our employee review process, training ... More

3. "Hard to work for..."

Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Riverton, UT
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Riverton, UT

I worked at SIMCO Electronics (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great attention to detail and accuracy. Records are easily accessible for customers

Cons

No feedback on work expectations and progress. Many employees are ex-military and harsh vocabulary and horse play is prevalent in work area.

Advice to Management

Provide feedback to employees. Everyone needs to know how they are doing. Dare to talk with your employees.

Sep 7, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Thanks for your feedback, SIMCO’s management team is has made a new effort to improve feedback and communication with all employees. New programs include an improved manager feedback process ... More

5. "SIMCO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are very hard work and are fun to work with. They are willing to go the extra mile to train someone who might be less experienced.

Cons

I have no cons to showcase

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to have you as part of the SIMCO team.

"Military/PMEL should avoid"

Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Calibration Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you know you're job well, for the most part management will leave you alone

Cons

At the Silicon Valley location this is absolutely true:
    -They hire people off the street who know nothing for you to train to replace you.
    -Pay has been vastly cut since my last time there.
    -Racism and favoritism is rampant.
    -I was one of their most profitable employees and couldn't get a raise.
    -Constantly threaten laying people off because of poor profits then report double digit surpluses to corporate.

Advice to Management

Fire the management, the workers there for the most part are awesome!

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

We’re sorry you left SIMCO with these feelings and wish you would have expressed them to our management while you were here. As mentioned above, any racism is ABSOLUTELY NOT TOLERATED at SIMCO and ... More

7. "Calibration Technician B"

Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Calibration Technician in Redmond, WA

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Leadership Who truly care about their employees

Cons

Cost of living is too high in the immediate area and the roads are really congested which makes for a long commute.

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Thanks for your review, we also wish traffic was less in some of our locations, but we have over 20 labs and some of those are in less hectic areas.

"So-so"

Former Employee - Senior Calibration Technician in Webster, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Calibration Technician in Webster, FL

I worked at SIMCO Electronics (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Excellent 401K plan choices.

Cons

Management couldn't care less about the employees. Lousy to non-existent raises. Yearly take away of various benefits.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Sorry to hear of your feelings; we wish you would have expressed them to our leaders when you were here. Our CEO Brian Kenna has been on the job for about a year now and has started an annual ... More

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Accounting has very supportive management.
    Prompts employee appreciation
    Nice friendly atmosphere
    Stable & Growing Company
    Challenging

Cons

Benefits could be better
    Communication between departments at times

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have maybe quarterly an email going out to all about what has been happening with company. Acknowledging those bringing in new significant contracts. Letting everyone know what is working or not working & needs improvement throughout the company. Sharing it to more include everyone in what is going on with SIMCO.

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Thanks for your review and suggestions. We have indeed improved our employee communications in the past year and now have quarterly all-hands meetings and more frequent email updates. Every ... More

"SIMCO - where equipment reliability matters. Serving clients whose products have high cost of failure!"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Action oriented company that emphasizes delighting customers. Systems automate processes eliminating human error. Growth allows career advancement and placement at any one of 20 labs across American. Work for an industry leader that values its employees. Several have worked for SIMCO for over 25-30 years. Many have over 10 years with SIMCO. If you want to learn from the best in the calibration industry, this is the place to work!

Cons

During peak periods, one must run fast & hard to remain valued member of the team. Jobs can be demanding but onboard & continuous training enables employees to become best in their field.

Advice to Management

Leverage the Internet to engage potential buyers early in the purchase decision evaluation process. Provide valued marketing collateral to help make wise decisions in equipment calibration, repair and software services.

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Thank you for the review and ideas. We have recently updated our website and our sales team now has a range of materials to present to customers about important issues in calibration, repair, and ... More

11. "SIMCO Electronics - Draper UT"

Current Employee - Area Director in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Area Director in Sandy, UT

I have been working at SIMCO Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Commitments to quality and customer satisfaction are the cornerstones of SIMCO culture, and the reason that our staff love what they do. We see ourselves as partners with our customers, where their success depends on us doing our job quickly, accurately and cost effectively. With very few exceptions, our customers feel the same making for a much less stressful environment than I had working at previous calibration labs.

Cons

The same things that make SIMCO a great place to work can also create challenges. Customers expect and deserve the best possible service EVERY time, and rising to every challenge can be exhausting when they all seem to come at once.

Jun 15, 2016 – SIMCO Management

Yes, it’s very important for us to provide our customers with the highest quality calibration and software services, and while sometimes hectic, our managers are trained to help employees maintain a ... More