SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory Laboratory Director Chi-Chang Kao
Chi-Chang Kao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Too many politics gets in the way of getting things done (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management has created a hostile interaction between these shops and the large projects (in 6 reviews)

1. "Disneyland for the analytically inclined"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer In Charge in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer In Charge in Stanford, CA

I have been working at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with great people from all over the world. Contributing to the scientific community.

Cons

Culture change in progress. Decrease in on-site manufacturing of specialized devices and components. Decrease in technical staff.

Advice to Management

Do not use a business model that is obsolete or one that diverges from the models used by several successful companies in Silicon Valley to manage the lab.

2. "Sci & Eng Assoc I"

Former Employee - Sci & Eng Associate I in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sci & Eng Associate I in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fair pay and good benefits. Descent work place.

Cons

No employer loyalty. Lots of politics in upper mgt. affecting operations. No desire to rehire former emp's who left to help budget shortfall.

Advice to Management

Remember that SLAC mostly built on old "bones" that new kids don't know. It takes experience sometimes.

3. "Facilities and Operations"

Current Employee - Facilities Technician in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities Technician in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Great location and surroundings, excellent benefits including children's tuition grant (50% of Stanford University's tuition), great training programs & opportunities. Clear vision and goals from Directors.

Cons

Funded by DOE which can be stressful at times regarding Government budgets, every few years new management comes in and tries to reinvent the wheel.

4. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Most meaningful engineering work I've ever done

Cons

management could be more effective

"SLAC Cowboys still rule here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great location. Solid benefits. Good job security. Interesting work. You can do some cutting edge science here. Technical execution and experimental support are world class.

Cons

Management has generally been promoted from hard driving scientists, engineers and technicians who have close to zero people skill. A macho, bullying, cowboy attitude still prevails. Slim advancement opportunities since many here are lifetime SLACers. A friend once told me that SLAC is a place careers go to die, so don't stay too long.

Advice to Management

Chi-Chang is a great guy, but I don't know if he will be able to overcome the entrenched cowboy culture or the horrible dehumanizing mistake of matrixed services that were started under Persis. I wish you the best of luck, Chi-Chang, that you will be able to cut out the few bad apples and promote a culture that supports good communication and appreciation of the faithful employees who truly do love the lab.

6. "PostSoc at SSRL"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great research center. Excellent collaboration.

Cons

Lower salary that in industry.

7. "Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best minds work here. Great environment to work and learn.

Cons

At times there was not enough work to do as an intern.

"Business Administrator, LCLS"

Former Employee - Business Administrator, LCLS in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Business Administrator, LCLS in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I started here 10 years ago I was pleasantly surprised by the great work environment: Respect; knowledge; creativity; warmth…people cared. Maybe the buildings were old and the offices were not spectacular, but people were always happy to come to work each day, and all of us tried to do absolutely the best. I was always proud to say that I work for SLAC.
    • Support cutting-edge science.
    • Multicultural and international environment.
    • Decent salary and great benefits.
    • A chance to work with and know exceptional, visionary scientists from all over the world.
    Unfortunately, these positives have steadily declined since then.

Cons

The lab has experienced changes in management and strategy in the last few years.
    The new LCLS management behaves like a club for feudal lords. The knowledge and experience of their serfs is not considered or appreciated. “Yes, sir” is the only right response because your personal vision and opinion is prohibited.
    To maintain a wide gap between upper management and the workers, they hire middle management whose qualifications are not important so long as they embrace double standards and manipulation, while honesty is viewed as a weakness.
    Communication between workers is not encouraged, and some office workers are instructed not to talk to people from other departments.
    The climate of fear and intimidation motivates workers to do the absolute minimum required by their job description because they feel any more or less is too risky.
    All strategic decisions are made behind closed doors, and then proclaimed as a directive that you need to act positive about. You cannot express any concerns about the decisions.

Advice to Management

Stanford provides lots of classes for management which you attend all the time. You should be good students and learn that workers cannot function in a hostile and toxic environment that you create. It cannot be sustained for long.

"Supply Chain Management"

Former Employee - Senior Subcontracts Administrator in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Subcontracts Administrator in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Good salary. Good benefits. Good working hours. No severe overtime required. Nice peers and coworkers in general. The work is not too demanding and people in general are willing to help you understand.

Cons

I have never witnessed such poor management in my work life. They are unclear about their expectations, goals and planning. They seem to play favorites. They are not transparent at all. They are not mature. And they do not build their people, they actually seem to tear them apart. This unfortunately is a toxic environment. Do not engage HR as you will end up in worse shape than you were in. HR only and blindly supports management.

Advice to Management

Get some integrity. Grow up and be transparent with your people. Communicate your real expectations. Support your people in achieving them. Avoid drama and playing favorites...build a pleasant environment to work in.

"Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Menlo Park, CA

Pros

Wonderful people, great science, great area.

Cons

Too many meetings, some resistance to change by many who have been there for 20+ years, financial systems are a mess

Advice to Management

Embrace incoming workforce, beat average salaries to keep staff, better financial system