SM Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 87 reviews

3.4
SM Energy CEO Jay Ottoson
Jay Ottoson
Pros
  • "Great benefits, environment, and work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• "I have been with SM for almost 6 years and have loved the cross discipline work environment that's always promoted(in 8 reviews)

1. "Geohazards"

I worked at SM Energy full-time

Pros

Good experience and good people

Cons

Good projects and a lot of experience

SM Energy2019-09-25

"Corporation with Corporate Pains"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at SM Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Oil and Gas company; those with knowledge aren't alone in difficult situations

Cons

Middle Management; pay increases and promotions given on who middle management likes - not on merit.

Advice to Management

Don't lie. Ethics and integrity need to be the foundation. If you don't want to tell the employees what is going on then work out what you can and cannot say.

SM Energy2019-10-08
  3. "Great people"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at SM Energy full-time

Pros

People were great. Job rewarding

Cons

I did not fully support the business decisions being made.

SM Energy2019-09-03
  4. "Good Permian Team"

Current Employee - Production Engineering Manager

I have been working at SM Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Permian team and assets

Cons

Business fundamentals that deter investors

SM Energy2019-08-01
  5. "Good Company, needs more heart"

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at SM Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and benefits were outstanding

Cons

Management can be overly critical

SM Energy2019-01-21

"Sr. Tech"

Current Employee - Senior Tech in Denver, CO

I have been working at SM Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, room for internal promotion, professional atmosphere, nice office accommodations.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch. The company needs to keep up with other key players in the industry and welcome more opportunities for employee development; training and conferences are only offered to management generally. Feeling of disconnect.

Advice to Management

Develop your people, invest in them and they will return that investment to the company.

SM Energy2018-12-19

"BE WARNED! AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE ASIAN FLU!!!"

I worked at SM Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Had a Cadillac health insurance and had a 3 day weekend every other week.

Cons

Terrible managers. Managers got worse and worse each year. Wasn't uncommon for managers to belittle people under them. Several managers were involved in sexual activities with other employees. Micro management was common and it got worse and worse. I felt like I was back in the 3rd grade. If you had a problem with a manager there was nowhere to go for help. Contacting HR was a sure way to be fired. They were more... like the SS in WW II. You couldn't trust anybody because there was so much cut throat going on by people trying to get ahead. Managers seemed to do whatever they wanted and seemed to answer to nobody. You weren't even allowed to have another part time job on your own time if you needed it to help get by. If discovered, you'd be fired.

Advice to Management

Employees were made to take courses in how to treat others and how to handle sexual harassment. Managers need to take the same courses. Advice to the very upper management of SM is to treat others as you'd want to be treated. Employees are human beings and should be treated with some kind of respect. Keep closer tabs on the dept managers and require them to answer for their actions as their co workers are required... to do. The manager of my department should have never been a manager of anything. Whatever he came up with was never questioned. Besides my career, I witnessed him ruin the careers of many others by lying and coming up with crazy accusations. HR would always believe whatever this guy said and employees had no chance.

SM Energy2018-09-08

"If willing an able, you can become w.e. you want"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Denver, CO

I have been working at SM Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A lot of tools given to complete a goal or project. - Overall you are given flexibility of how you get to a solution. - If you are willing to work plenty of overtime and take on a lot of responsibility, you can pretty much climb up the ladder quickly.

Cons

- You have to be your own project manager with limited support from management for getting the job done. - Data governance needs improvement. Departments creating reports for upper management without verifying that the data is correct with the data expert. - Decisions are made by a limited amount of people and then tossed over the fence for other departments to sort out and support.

Advice to Management

- There needs to be backing from top down to ensure data quality and standards are put in place to uphold that quality. - Enterprise approach over pocket solution. - Listen to the expert and clear obstacles standing in their way to get the job done. - Sr. Management needs to have supervisors or managers below them so that they can become mentors for their employees and spend the time to properly influence and... motivate.

SM Energy2018-06-12
  9. "Loved working at SM Energy"

Former Employee - AP Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at SM Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, benefits, travel, training, and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Most branch offices closed, as the industry took a downturn that hurt all energy companies. Most of my Pro's were losing their appeal towards the end of my employment. BUT, if the Tulsa office was still open I would still be working there.

SM Energy2018-05-28
  10. "Good place to work"

Accountant II in Denver, CO

I worked at SM Energy

Pros

Good team members, good bonus structure, overall a nice place to work and help you develop business skills to advance your career. Movement between groups is encouraged to help diversify skill sets

Cons

Management sometimes has trouble giving responsibility to make decisions to lower level employees. This slows down processes. The movement between groups described in the Pros is difficult because it causes turnover often

SM Energy2018-05-09