SM&P Utility Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Stayton

"locating technician"

Current Employee - Locating Technician in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Locating Technician in Novi, MI

I have been working at SM&P Utility Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

work vehichle with gas card you take home, work phone, benefits are good. sometimes offr out of town/state work with extra bonus pay for food with paid lodging. get to work outside, only time its bad is if its raining or cold/windy

Cons

on call, only one weekend every 4 months though and a few random days during the week every month, when work gets busy can be put on 10 hour days and possibly even saturdays, but my boss was very negotiable with my extended hours due to my schooling, could offer a higher starting pay but its not horrible. depending on where you live, when winter hits and your new you might possibly be layed off for the season.

"Great training, long hours in the summer, low pay. No winter hours so prepare."

Former Employee - Locator in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Locator in Bloomington, IN

I worked at SM&P Utility Resources full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part of working here was working alone and having a company vehicle.

Cons

No matter the weather you are out in it. So if you do not like working outside this is not the job for you. If you miss mark something you could get someone killed. The job doesn't pay enough to be worth it. Long hours in the summer caused me not to see my daughter for three weeks and we live in the same house.

Advice to Management

Consider paying more first off. Secondly continued training after initial one should be a regular practice in the down seasons to keep your locaters sharp, safe, and up to speed of the ever changing safety issues and riggers of the job.

"Overworked & Under appreciated"

Former Employee - Level I Locator/CDI in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Level I Locator/CDI in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Work all the overtime you want. The training isn't bad either and the training director is a great guy. So, that's positive.

Cons

Incompetent management that double talks. They tell you they care about safety and quality, but really they care about speed and getting the most bang for their buck. If you miss something and it gets hit, the company will side with the contractor every time. It's always YOUR fault.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your employees and hire enough people to really make quality locating your top priority.

"Good unskilled/Unappreciated Job"

Current Employee - Locator in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Locator in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

You have no boss looking over your shoulder. You know what you must complete each day. You get the feeling of satisfaction for a job well done.

Cons

You are expected to work long hours when needed, including overnight when on call. Furthermore all good deeds are forgotten with a single missed step. The focus of management seems to be more done faster, yet they demand that you take your time and get jobs done correct this creates a serious paradox. Further referal bonuses were removed at the start of the year, and since they take 18 months before any get paid the removal cut many people out of money.

Advice to Management

Less focus on speed, more focus on quality. Reinstate bonus programs and make the process of determining bonuses clear and open.

"It's an ok job but the pay could be better for the duties."

Current Employee - Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Technician in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Getting a work truck was cool. Training was okay. The people out there on the street were really cool too. I don't have too many bad things to say about the job.

Cons

Long hours and long jobs. High stress for meeting deadlines. Working in multiple areas were quite rough too, just when you get to know a plant a new one comes along.

Advice to Management

Quit changing managers over so much. Keep the "middle management" happy by giving them better tools and some more help if needed. Sometimes the districts are too big.

"Okay experience, no regrets."

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Manager

Pros

Gave me great multi-unit experience and expanded my HR experience which prepared me for the next step in my career.

Cons

Very stressful environment and rough at times. Very focused on productivity and driving hard for results at the expense of others.

Advice to Management

Need to understand that the field personnel need to have a work/life balance. When you push people so hard, that is when mistakes occur.