SMG Europe Reviews | Glassdoor

SMG Europe Reviews

Updated 18 Aug 2019

Found 14 reviews

3.5
SMG Europe CEO Alan Steven Robinson (no image)
Alan Steven Robinson
  1. "good part time job for students"

Current Employee - Food and Beverage Assistant in Leeds, AL

I have been working at SMG Europe part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible and easy job with friendly staff

Cons

poor pay and given no training prior to first shift, daunting to learn on the job during busy events

Advice to Management

give proper training

SMG Europe2018-09-09
  2. "Good Job"

Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage in Leeds, England

I worked at SMG Europe part-time for less than a year

Pros

Zero contract hours and therefore worked if you were free.

Cons

Sometimes difficult to get a shift if it is very popular.

SMG Europe2019-08-18
  3. "Current Food Prep at Leeds"

Current Contractor - Food and Beverage Staff in Leeds, England

I have been working at SMG Europe for more than a year

Pros

1) The pays good, especially for younger students. 2) Co workers are super friendly, I've fit in really well. 3) No shift is really the same. 4) Sometimes it really doesn't feel like work. 5) You might end up on the same bar but you rarely end up with the same people. 6) Management are great if you prove you're actually decent at your job. 7) As a food prep you don't have to deal with customers so no real... abuse. 8) Everything's flexible. HOWEVER, it's easier to sign onto shifts than to get taken off rota.

Cons

1) Agency don't take you seriously, they are often quite rude to you. 2) The work is kinda cliquey as they often share accomodation/ go to the same unis. 3) The busiest shifts of the year after often super understaffed. 4) The strike system is very variable and very dependant on how well in you are. 5) There's no training. 6) You will get people ask if you can get them a discount or if you meet famous people.... 7) Number 6 gets super old super quick.

SMG Europe2019-07-26
  4. "Good for students"

Current Employee - Bar Staff/Hospitality in Leeds, England

I have been working at SMG Europe part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, as its a 0 hour contract business. A chance to meet new people

Cons

Hectic shifts and poor management from team leaders.

SMG Europe2019-01-08
  5. "Flexible hours!"

Former Employee - Suite Host in Leeds, England

I worked at SMG Europe part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pick and choose when to work what shifts. Working in an entertainment environment is always fun and the shifts pass quickly.

Cons

On your feet the whole time and regularly required to deal with drunk and disorderly customers

SMG Europe2018-11-05
  6. "Food and Beverage Assistant"

I worked at SMG Europe

Pros

Get to choose shifts and keep any tips. Generally staff are friendly

Cons

- Shifts can go very quickly. - No set shift finish time. Would depend on when they closed the bar and then how long it took to clean and cash up. - Not much training so have to learn on the job.

SMG Europe2018-08-11
  7. "Run as fast as you can"

Current Employee - Concessions Staff in Manchester, England

I have been working at SMG Europe part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to choose the shifts you work. Pay is every two weeks. Staff of the month get free cinema tickets and some staff get entered into raffles to win concert tickets at the Arena itself.

Cons

There is nowhere to sit on your break - you must literally stand. The only place you are allowed to stand for your 'break' is outside the venue where smokers congregate, so if you don't smoke you must inhale second hand smoke for 20 minutes while standing regardless of the weather. If you cancel a shift for any reason other than sickness, you receive a sanction called a 'strike' which lasts a whopping 6 months. All... timesheets are paper based and you are not allowed to record the end of your shift - this is only done by your Supervisor so it takes a lot of record keeping on your end to ensure your pay is correct. If your pay is incorrect, you must wait another two weeks for the next payday to see any issues. Holiday pay is paid every 3-6 months rather than with the fortnightly paydays.

Advice to Management

Introduce a digitised way of viewing timesheets that is available to staff. If you issue something that sounds vicious (i.e a strike) to every person whose availability changes in between shifts, you should expect a high turnover of staff. Flexible working should be flexible for both the workers and the employer.

SMG Europe2018-05-21
  8. "Beneficial for students"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at SMG Europe for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible - choose your own hours based on your availability. No obligations, work when you can. Great atmosphere at big concerts. Other staff are nice.

Cons

Can be no shifts in some months when there are no events. Usually this is July, August and sometime January.

SMG Europe2018-02-22
  9. "Some big issues"

Former Employee - Box Office Assistant in York, England

I worked at SMG Europe part-time

Pros

Very flexible as a zero hour contract, you sent availability and they fit you into a rota. The middle level management team were easy to work with and other part-time staff were also easy to work with.

Cons

- Very big problem in that as a zero-hour contract employee I was supposed to be paid every two weeks, however it took a full two months before I was paid my first wage, this is quite shocking and not really acceptable, particularly when employees are on zero hour contracts without security there needs to be no errors with pay. - Rotas were sent with shifts for two weeks at a time, however the rota would be sent... on the wednesday/thursday for shifts as early as the following monday. 4 days notice isn't good at all. - I had a negative experience with some of the top level management at my venue, for example management who were new to the business and I had never even met before came and just started asking/ telling me to do things. This was rude as we had never met and I wasn't even sure who they were/ if they were managers etc.

Advice to Management

- Sort out any issues with HR so that staff don't wait to be paid, I certainly would have accepted another job over this one if I'd have known I would be waiting two months for any pay. - Make sure management know and introduce themselves to any lower level employees.

SMG Europe2017-10-07
  10. "Great student job"

Bar Staff in Leeds, England

I worked at SMG Europe

Pros

very flexible, well organised, good experience building

Cons

low pay but to be expected

SMG Europe2017-06-18