SMGI Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SMGI Vice Presidents MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski
MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski

Pros
  • I had the ability to intern at SMGi this passes summer and I really enjoyed the work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment great people, good training (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Verizon Fios door to door mostly (in 15 reviews)

• Some parts are of the year make work life balance tough (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great environment and opportunity"

Former Employee - Account Manager/Leader in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Leader in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At SMGI, they really work with every employee and actually care about everyone individually. If you are struggling with any aspect, they try to help you. Crew leaders and coworkers care about your personal life and problems. There is great opportunity for growth and management. As long as you work hard you can really go far with this company. They also don't hold a few past mistakes against you, if you are qualified. This company is also like a community and can be a lot of fun including nights out together. You can learn a lot with this company and I loved my time there.

Cons

The job is straight commission and does take strong people skills and good work ethic. Besides the hours and that, I still think it is a good company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but don't forget the $ value of your employees.

"Company seems to lack good leadership."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reputable clients and "advancement opportunities" - though they are difficult to comprehend how to achieve them.

Cons

Untrustworthy and Immature management team .
    Inappropriate relationships and behavior by management.
    Job descriptions/requirements change too frequently, no consistency .

Advice to Management

Get a game plan and stick to it.
    Lack of upper management follow through; inconsistent goals and unprofessional actions from management.
    Don't confuse doing alot of things with doing alot of things well.

SMGI Response

Mar 2, 2016 – Administrator

Hello, Thank you for your review. I assume you worked for SMGI on a door-to-door sales campaign in 2012-2014. I'm sorry you had a negative experience at SMGI. If there's something specifically you ... More

"MISLEADING"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

learning from mistakes.
    ability to embarrass yourself in commission based environment.
    learn to be weary of any employers that don't disclose full details about company.

Cons

you'll be selling door to door in remote rural areas, misleading under-educated, old people.
    the image of the office and interview are all staged. it's to lure people in.
    misleading salary. there is no salary, only a commission that is much lower than stated.

Advice to Management

tell people exactly what they'e getting into so you won't waste the time of those of us who would prefer not to sell door to door

"Pretty words and that's all. Don't fall for it."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got promoted to Account Manager in a week, but that's about it. Met a few good people in the mix whom I still talk to. Wrote off business expenses on my taxes.

Cons

Where to begin? I worked here for a few months and don't honestly know what I was thinking or how I stuck it out that long. Everything they do from the minute you walk in the door is a sales pitch, including the interviews. (Rule of thumb: If they can't tell you what the job entails over the phone, it's not worth going to the interview.) They lure you in with promises of big offices and quick promotion to management and six-figure salaries, but the reality of the job is that you're going door-to-door and that's it, and only the most bull-headed and aggressive ever truly make it to upper level management. After the first promotion, you could spend two years at the next level without making any progress.

The time commitment is insane. They claim the job is good for people who don't want a typical "9-to-5" job, to make you feel like you're really a "self-starter" or whatever, but really what they mean is you'll be burnt out with no time for anything else in your life. I worked 6 days a week, 11 hour days, and my friends and family began to wonder what was happening to me. Every Saturday you will be working. You will also not be working in Conshy, but rather you'll be contracted out to wherever your territory is, either in the city or as far out as Bucks County.

Ultimately they reel you in with positive reinforcement and "company environment" schemes like morning meetings to rile everyone up and an office night at a bar every week in the city, but when it comes down to it the compensation, which is entirely commission, isn't worth the hours and frustrations of working with these people and managers. Competitive environments like this bring out the worst in people, and I saw that firsthand with the way I got treated. The managers will make you think they care about you and shower you with attention and positive reinforcement at first, but at the end of the day they only care about what's best for themselves and how much money is in their pockets. And don't worry, they'll brag about how much money is in their pockets. If you're lucky, management will remind you ever so professionally that you're basically a tool in their company machine to ensure that their pockets stay stuffed with cash, regardless of how much money you actually make for yourself. Sorry to say that I lost respect for just about everybody at this place when I finally opened my eyes and realized that I needed to get out.

Advice to Management

Don't put faith in people who bring you a lot of money but have egos that destroy others.

"They are the best"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This team is unstoppable. They have multiple departments that they effectively cater the company needs and projects to match the multi-billion dollar clients they represent. The clients frequent the office because of the high performance and ability to stay above the competitors.

Cons

They are not going to stop until they succeed and because of this they are consistently pushing forward. If you're not used to the fast paced it is hard to adjust.

Advice to Management

Take more time for yourselves

"Possesses Opportunities that I didn't Think Possible at My Age"

Current Employee - Account Manager - Energy Services in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Account Manager - Energy Services in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upward and Lateral Mobility - Marketing, Event Planning, Sales, HR, Recruiting, Advertising, Administration, Management - upon starting one has the ability to move up the ladder or to move into a different department, if their strengths or desires better align.

Competitive Earning Potential (with salary, commissions, and bonuses, someone can earn a solid income for themselves and/or family)
    Average Entry Level Employee makes $30K+
    Average Event Planning makes $70K+
    Average Team Lead/Project Manager makes $80K+
    Average General Manager makes $120K+

Positive, Fun Work Environment

Entrepreneurial Company Culture without Bureaucracy or Favoritism

Travel Opportunities

Cons

My project is with a Fortune 500 company and they can be very demanding and high maintenance.
    50 hours a week, not 40, and Saturdays if a deadline or target needs met.
    Not all projects are glamorous Ad Campaigns or Event Planning Projects.
    Constantly Pushed outside Comfort Zone.

The only reason someone should get into sales/marketing/advertising/event planning is if they want to put the work in to earn good money. I would hate my job, if I wanted 40 hours sitting at my desk, with low to moderate responsibilities.

Advice to Management

MORE "SEXY" PROJECTS, but DON'T TAKE AWAY THE EARNING POTENTIAL