SMGI Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SMGI Vice Presidents MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski
MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski

Pros
  • I had the ability to intern at SMGi this passes summer and I really enjoyed the work environment (in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment great people, good training (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Verizon Fios door to door mostly (in 15 reviews)

• Some parts are of the year make work life balance tough (in 5 reviews)

1. "Awesome Opportunity!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baden, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Baden, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SMGI welcomes all employees and gives them a lot of encouragement from the get go! They offer a lot of awesome benefits, good pay, fair commission, and a great opportunity for growth within their company.

Cons

I don't really have any cons about this company, a sales job just wasn't in the cards for me personally.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Everyone's doing AWESOME at SMGI.

"Territory manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say!

Cons

They make it sound like there is a salary which there is NO SALARY!! The girl/admin of the phone will say anything to get you in the door. There are better companies out there who pay a salary plus commission for this same position. They make you come to the office for meetings and training and they don't pay you for it. The people who work at SMGI are fake and rude. I hated my experience with SMGI. I would stay far away from SMGI. Scam company!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better! Pay people for the work they do. Learn how to train and recruit with integrity.

Nov 2, 2016 – Vice President

Normally we respond by thanking you for your review but will pass in this case as it's clear your intention is to slander SMGI. Any review that is completely one-sided and lacks objectivity; such as ... More

"Low Compensation"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Pittston, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really the only Pro is that you have the freedom to make your own schedule. While being able to spend time with family.

Cons

No immediate supervisor in the NEPA area. They make you pay $50 a week for 2 months to use a COMPANY TABLET to sell Xfinity products. They say the pay is very competitive that to me is a lie. It's $10/HR OR Commission which has to be over $400 to even earn. How can one live off of $250 a week? This is the only sales job I've worked where its structured that way. If you have an off week selling they threaten you with termination.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep employees happy the pay rate should go as follows: competitive hourly rate or salary PLUS commission. It isn't right that an individual is out there making your company money and in return you pay them nothing. Also if you offer a company tablet you shouldn't charge the employee to use it especially $50 a week for 8 weeks. It's seems to me that all this company cares about is lining their own pockets instead of taking care of the employees.

Oct 31, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience! We created your position with our client knowing that it would require the potential employee to be extremely self-reliant ... More

"Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Pay and benefits were good

Cons

Working in Walmart and other retailers selling Verizon and Comcast

Advice to Management

Seem like good people, job isn't for me

May 18, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for your review and honesty that this position wasn't for you. Your review mentioned you were located in Philadelphia however I assume you were working for us in Pittsburgh since that’s the ... More

"Great company with competitive base salary!!!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlike most retail companies that do sales and marketing as a third party vendor, SMGI offers a competitive starting salary and a commission income. Between the two types of income the earning potential starting off is really up to how hard you want to work. I've worked in the business management field for nearly fifteen years and I would have to say that there are not many young thriving companies that can compete with the excellence of SMGI's management staff. The management staff is courteous, goal oriented, well trained, and more than willing to offer help to anyone starting out with the company at any time of day or night. The training is above par for the feild of sales! I would recommend this company to anyone with a drive for business and a dream of having a long and lucrative career.

Cons

There are not really any downsides to starting out with this company. They give you every tool you need to be successful within the field and do a great job at empowering their employees. It all depends on your drive and motivation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!! The team nights and team building events are a great addition to the work environment and help build a nearly unbreakable team environment.

Mar 28, 2016 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. SMGI understands that a big part of working is having income stability, therefore ALL of its positions offer a base salary or competitive hourly ... More

"Finally Found My Career"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Compensation
    - Team Atmosphere
    - Competitive Environment
    - Great Mentorship/Management
    - Benefits

Cons

- The occasional LONG day

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Mar 7, 2016 – Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your review! Work-life balance has been a big focus for us in 2015 and we're continuing to focus on it in 2016 so hopefully we can limit those occasional long days as much as possible ... More

8. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Smgi for almost 2 years. I have been in sales for over 7 years at this point and have to say Smgi is one of the most rewarding companies I've ever worked for. The directors are very involved with the progression of the company while also making themselves available to anybody that asks! It is the first sales company I've worked for that does NOT have the "small fish big pond" mentality and involves employees and their ideas to help grow! After reading some of the comments on here I was surprised to find that it is believed we do D2D.. This I can tell you is completely false. When I first started there was a division of D2D, but due to a lack of growth the department was discontinued. The company has tons of upward mobility and I look forward to helping it grow!!

Cons

To be honest there are really no cons. I make my own schedule, I make great money, I work with young and cool people, and there's room to move up!

Mar 28, 2016 – HR Director

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this review. As you pointed out SMGI is continuing to grow this year with new territories into eastern Ohio and towards the center of the ... More

"Working at SMGI is the most rewarding and fulfilling career!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SMGI is dedicated to growth and development inside and outside of the organization.

SMGI is focused on the health and wealth of employees and their families. As a company we generously contribute and volunteer to many local charities, foundations, and groups in need. Philanthropy and giving back is fundamentally valued by our entire company.

We have fun winning together in the community and at work.

My favorite "pro" is our one-on-one training with our senior management team. We are able to freely express our concerns and elevate our participation in creating new avenues for our business. Our senior management team listens and welcomes creative ideas.

Cons

We have many leaders who demand more direction and individualized training from Area Management.

We do not have yearly performance reviews.

Advice to Management

Promote or recruit leaders to Area Managers to expand leadership and grow our business. I recommend ongoing SMGI Area Manager trainings and weekly Area Manager conference calls led by the Directors to support the Area Management team.

Jan 21, 2016 – Administrator

Hi, thanks for your review! I wanted to respond to your comment about yearly performance reviews and provide you with a some reasons why SMGI does not have this type of structure. First, the ... More

"Amazing company to work for"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best team I've ever worked with; everyone is so nice, helpful, and supportive! Very independent work environment, where you are in charge of creating your own work schedule; flexible hours. Great healthcare insurance program. To sum it up, a great place to work, with so much room for growth!

Cons

Not ideal in the winter months; somewhat excessive use of your own car.

Advice to Management

The weekly work requirements are perfect for the spring, summer, and early fall! However, they might not be the best for the winter months, so maybe consider readjusting what needs to be done when it is cold out.

Otherwise, continue to be as great as you have been from Day 1 :)

Jan 14, 2016 – Administrator

Thank you for your review! I am glad you took advantage of our benefits and health care plan we offer! Also that you enjoyed working with your team! We will take your advice in consideration. Thank ... More

"Team Atmosphere with good growth potential"

I have been working at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Benefits. Great managers. Fun environment. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

Some parts are of the year make work life balance tough.

Advice to Management

Keep running bonuses to earn extra $$ and travel opportunities!

Jan 4, 2016 – Administrator

Thank you for your review! We appreciate it, and are glad you enjoy working with us. Thanks again!