SMGI "corporate Trainer" Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
SMGI Vice Presidents MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski
MJ Frumin and Justin Jaworski

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fun place to work after college, great stepping stone into other careers"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Work environment is fun. The people are in their mid 20s a good mix of newly graduates and people raising families. It's cool that everyone here actually likes hanging out together. Sometimes they'll throw roof top parties on top of their office building after work, you can see the city and stadiums up there, and we'd play corn hole, have pizza and drinks. They have these office nights where every Thursday they'd do something different in the city like karaoke nights... bowling... penn brewery etc

During work hours in the office we'll meet up and the managers run some meetings, you're never just sitting behind a desk in cubicles, there's always something going on. They'll play music in the background too to keep the energy up. The best is when we play games in the office, I found they do that so we can build up competitive energy in the office.

As far as the nitty gritty job in itself, it is infact sales! We talk to different people of multiple demographics everyday. As a communications major and marketing minor this was a great way to build my skills after college. I always thought I communicated well with people but it's definitely an interesting challenge to persuade people to build trust with you and purchase from you in a short amount of time. This is a very competitive business you definitely have to be driven on a daily to complete the tasks. I've made $500 a week here on good weeks I'll make $800 to a grand. If you have a competitive nature you'll make good money. On off weeks I'll make $300 bc I'm just getting acclimated with a new area and set of demographics. Cool thing is I'll have co workers willing to take time out of their morning to come in early to help me.

This was a good experience and stepping stone for me. Working here this past year allowed me to have a pretty strong resume. When I interviewed for a position in advertisement they were impressed by my tenacity for doing door to door sales.

Cons

Takes a lot of self accountability and patience to master a challenging craft such as sales. When you do well it's your fault but when you don't do well its still your fault.

For the most part the people are fun and hard working, but sometimes you'll come across people with bad attitudes and outlooks. I'm the type of person who works hard and needs to get the job done. I'm not a fan of pretentious people who don't do the right things. people I've met along the way will pretend to hit the field and make excuses for not getting the results. Yes it's a commission based business it typically weeds out those with bad work ethic.

Advice to Management

The quality of the people who've helped grow your business in the last couple years is good, but don't let the performance value go down by hiring too many young people at one time without checking into their past employers and references. The turnover would be less if you hired more mature minded individuals vs hiring and firing people who aren't coming into your business for the right reasons.

"Door to Door Salesman"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The group I worked with were all very hard working, intelligent and fun.

Cons

Door to door sales is what this job is and don't let management or anyone else try to tell you otherwise. You'll have the opportunity to refine your pitch on a daily basis but that will not help because the leads they give you are in areas where people are generally not looking to switch providers or buy what you're selling. They do provide you leads but unless you're lucky and find someone who hates SMGIs client's competitors or are willing to coerce someone into signing up for whatever SMGI has you selling, you will not be making any money. By coerce I mean force. If you like to work for free, and at the time I worked there the job was 100% commission, then go for it. Otherwise, get a job as a cashier or doing something else. You will make just as much if not more.

Advice to Management

Be a lot more up front about this job to those interviewing and with those who are even looking to interview. You would be a better organization as a whole if you stopped lying before people even walked through the door to interview.

From my experience, you sell the company very well but the expectations you are able to build up are simply ridiculous and unattainable. You're company is not the diamond in the rough you sell yourself to be.

Mar 1, 2016 – Administrator

Hello, Thank you for your review. I assume you worked for SMGI between 2012-2014 since we exited D2D sales in the Philadelphia market in Q2 2014 and the business entirely in Q4 2014 (Pittsburgh). I... More

"Trainer"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment great people, good training

Cons

Door to door 100% commission

Jul 6, 2015 – Administrator

Hello,

I am glad that you enjoyed your time at SMGI and received our great training program. As of 2015 we no longer do door to door sales and offer a base salary. Thank you for your review!

"Great team environment but soon became unethical regarding commissions."

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer

Pros

Great team environment and good first job out of school sales training.

Cons

Company did not pay commissions on more than a dozen successful sales as well as other unethical practices regarding both employees and clients.

Advice to Management

SMGI was a great company to get a strong level of confidence in my abilities since campaigns are challenging and team sales environment was great. After two promotions I was learning and contributing at a consistent level, so why unethically refuse to pay commissions to sales reps and trainers? This became common practice where we had to fight management for commissions earned which were commo never paid.

Apr 23, 2015 – Administrator

Hi, thank you for your feedback! Can you please email our payroll department with your concerns and allow us to address the problem? Our clients pay us in several different ways and for several... More

"Biggest mistake of my life"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Phila, PA

Pros

None really. at some point it was the coworkers, but even they weren't really enough.

Cons

-management lies
    -lack of time balance between work & home life
    -compensation

Advice to Management

Let's be honest for once in your life. You're salesmen, but you can't continue to lie to people in their face. Stop teaching people tactics to make them become sleazy salesmen (zero indifference) to pad your pockets. Give a salary with a commission incentive. I wasted time away from my family, tired myself out mentally, physically and went through the hardest financial time of my life working there. The least you can do is give the people there their hard earned money instead of allowing it to be taken away. From wasting time in meetings, to constantly hearing about all the money that management has earned because of their "work ethic", it's quite frustrating. Then to learn after I left that "management" was fired from their previous job for fraud, reality set in.

Mar 2, 2016 – Administrator

Hello, Thank you for your review. I assume you worked for SMGI on a door-to-door sales campaign in 2012-2014. I'm sorry you felt mislead by management at SMGI. If there's something specifically you... More

"If you're not interested in financial hardship .. I wouldn't recommend accepting that job offer."

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong, positive environment. The kids you get to work with are usually a lot of fun.

Cons

"What are the challenges of this job?" Well where do I begin? It's door-to-door sales with NO base pay. So, if no one on the street you're assigned wants to switch their energy supplier to Direct Energy or signs up with Verizon Fios - you're not making any money that day. On top of no base pay - if your customer cancels or switches back to their previous provider within 30 DAYS, that earned commission is taken out of your next paycheck without your knowledge. And the best part about that is that management takes that "no-sale" as your fault - that you're just not good enough at selling the product. It's never the fact that Direct Energy does have higher fixed rates than their competition and people notice that on their bill. That's never the reason to management.

At SMGI, they do promise a lot. They promise that you'll make $400-$600 per week when you start. Then when you get "promoted" to a meaningless title that has little to no extra responsibilities tied to it, they promise that you'll make between $600-$1000 PER WEEK. This meaningless promotion also allows you to "build your team." This means that you will be the person who takes a prospective employee out on their second interview to the field to show them what you do. When this person accepts the job - they are apart of your "team". The more people on your "team" that maintain a specific selling standard is when you get promoted a next time. This next promotion gives you a guaranteed 2% of your team's earnings that week - which can be significant. The other catch is that your "team" must stay. When I worked at SMGI, I saw teams coming and going all the time. Just when someone thought they had a solid team - they would all leave because THIS JOB DOESN'T PAY. This job could pay out .. you really can make thousands of dollars a week - but only for a select few. The few who decide to put up with this day in and day out.

Speaking of day-in and day-out .. have I mentioned it's six days a week? Because they won't. Yeah - you're working six ten-hour days a week. And when you request to have a day off - that's a big deal. It's almost as if they make you feel lazy about requesting to have two days off that week. Most companies require five days of work and two days off per work week. Not SMGI. And I almost forgot to mention all the driving. Oh my gosh the driving! I went through two oil changes in two months. That's way too much for a job that DOES NOT EVEN OFFER a gas stipend.

No professional job is this inconsistent about taking care of their employees. I have been in the worst financial hole since SMGI and I'm not getting out of it anytime too soon. I have been able to get a job since SMGI but every paycheck I get is gone to the bills I wasn't able to pay while I was working with SMGI - I've barely had enough money to get my groceries while catching up and it's been very frustrating. Asking parents for money is absolutely the worst and I've had to do it a few times.

And last thing I should warn you of too is that they ask former employees and current employees to write positive reviews on this website. Definitely go through them - if they're not slamming the company, they're glorifying it. I mean, for real, who says this stuff? "Some people say there is no "work life balance". Well I say get better with your time!! You have every morning to get things done during normal business hours and you're off at night to do whatever you want!!" (If you look carefully - that actual sentence is in TWO of their reviews). People say there is no work life balance because there is no work-life balance! You're out of the office by nine and have to be in at noon the next day for six days out of the week. If you have kids - yeah right! That's not including the mandatory "get-togethers" at the bar afterwards.If you begin to not go to these "gatherings" - they question your dedication to the company. They assume that your not serious enough about your "career" with them. It's literally all a joke.

Seriously ... smoke and mirrors, you guys. Smoke and mirrors. Don't fall for their promises because they're not promises. The intern program doesn't even offer actual college credits. The "intern program" is just another scheme of theirs to get temporary work. Even though their company operates more efficiently when people stick it out and create their team, the managers and higher up's aren't making money unless you're out there in the freezing cold selling it. The more people out there, the more money they're likely to make.

Advice to Management

If you want to run this "legitimate company" you should consider giving your employees a reasonable base-pay ontop of the commission they might earn. And how about personal days? At real jobs, you're offered a set amount of personal days when you're hired on as "full-time". They would probably stick around a bit longer and be more determined to work for you.

Another word of advice - how about you respond to the negative reviews on this site? I only see your responses to the positive ones. Why is that, SMGI?

Jan 7, 2015 – Administrator

Hello,

Thank you for giving your feedback to us and I am sorry you had a bad experience while working for our company. There are a few things I would like to clear up from your review.

Our... More

"Scam"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Conshohocken, PA
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Conshohocken, PA

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Maybe the coworkers. Please read below. Only sufficing the 20 word minimum for the pros section

Cons

Everything is smoke and mirrors. This company is just a group of self-glorified door to door salesmen primarily selling Fios. The pay is less than minimum wage. You make 100 dollars per customer you persuade with the deplorable sales tactics they teach. It might sound easy but trust me when i say most customers you successfully 'help' are senior citizens who dont have a clue what's going on. Typically you get one customer every 2 days which is 50 dollars per day for working the hours from 11-8. To put it bluntly, you make more working at McDonald's. This company isn't even good for padding your resume. They are notoriously known as immoral salesman within the Philadelphia area. Do not believe them when they say have branches outside of their Conshohocken and Pittsburgh offices. They make themselves larger than they are to impress newcomers to the company. Stay away. Work at a bank, retail, customer service, retail, just anywhere but here. You have been warned. If you don't believe me, just Google search 'smgi scam Philadelphia. '

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you make six figures when you can't even afford a luxury sedan...wait....or even a smart phone

"Great experience, difficult work."

Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer
    Former Employee - Entry Level/Corporate Trainer

I worked at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great experience
    -People we work with in the office (trust me when I say you'll love them...well I loved them until a huge chunk of fab people left the office for various reasons)
    -No cap on what you earn
    -Really cool managers like Tim, Jay...etc

Cons

-no base pay
    -100% commission. Some people earned the $1000 a week but most didnt. There are 2 campaigns, DE (energy) and Verizon. Making someone change their energy provider, something they barely give thought to, is SO much easier than making someone change their TV provider.
    All you have to do with DE is make them sign some stuff, they get changed over (there is a process of course, including the TPV call) and there isn't a fee to cancel.
    VERIZON on the other hand...there is a $250 fee to cancel (customers freak out when you tell them this), you get credit fails and can't sign people up, people are loyal to comcast or think it's a hassle or have OLD notions about verizon, or don't like verizon. Overall it's a pain in the butt and those who are on the DE campaign get promoted faster and make a consistent amount of money. Those on verizon have a harder time
    -Physically incredibly tiring (esp if you don't have a car)
    -Emotionally tiring (awesome people in the office and evil people in the field (potential customers)
    -Must pay for gas, food if you eat outside because it's too heavy to carry lunch, people get annoyed when you ask for rides, expensive traveling by train, if you give people rides, you cut down on time in the field and it translates to losing money
    -If you don't make a sale, you make NO money
    They tell you you can build a team but it's honestly super hard and there are no spaces for excuses

Advice to Management

Have people go from DE to verizon (getting to verizon is the promotion).
    No more door to door and do a different type of marketing instead.

9. "Working as an intern for SMGI I gained a lot of experience I don't think I could learn anywhere else"

Former Intern - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Corporate Trainer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at SMGI as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you as intern, the atmosphere is young and energetic, and people are easy to get along with.

Cons

Working 6 days a week and not regular work hours

"Couldn't have asked for a better place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Corporate Trainer in Phila, PA

I have been working at SMGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work advancement/opportunity, work environment, and then the pay. This business is full of growth and filled with energetic, fun, reliable people that all work hard to get to the next level of the business. Pay, I have been here for a few months now and my weekly income is on average $900-$1,100 a week. The money is great, but for me, the 'Big Picture' is what I am focused on.

Cons

The hours can be tough, but like I said before, 'Big Picture', work hard now, to play harder later. Also, if you are someone who wants the easy way out, this is not the field for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in the office by giving all of us the opportunity of a lifetime. We all have the 'down for whatever' mentality, so keep it interesting! I cannot wait to be a part of the growth with SMGI, nationally.