SMS Reviews in Buffalo Grove, IL | Glassdoor

1.7
Dave Danzig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you are lucky to make 1 sale in a week which barely pays much over minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• They promise qualified leads and yet more of the places i went to said that they told the telemarketer Not to send anyone (in 5 reviews)

"Business Coordinator"

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good sales position to start

Cons

A lot of Micromanaging for minimum wage. Not too professional.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

2. "Sales"

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the worst job I ever had. Lies Lies. Lies! The are shady ...and need to be put out of business. Drunk and high while calling people!

Cons

I said it. Now what?

Advice to Management

Please. They are the problem! Seriously?

"More cons than pros. Don't give this place a second thought."

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They challenge you to push your beliefs, integrity, and help to blur the lines of honesty.

The coworkers are all very helpful in the sense that if you don't understand something, you can go up to anyone and they are more than happy to help.

Cons

Where to start:

They're dirty.
    Employees not only smoke in the bathroom but also are allowed the smoke right in front of the main entrance to the building. The cigarette butts are thrown all over the ground and seldom (if ever) picked up. The work floor just smells something awful on a daily basis.

They lie to workers.
    Base pay is $8.25/hr. During recruitment, potential employees are told they will make a minimum of $1,000 per week. Unless the leads you write turn into sales (which is dependent on a third person going in to close it) you will make the base pay, which is no where near what employees are told from the start.

They lie to clients.
    They say that the consulting service that they provide to small to midsize business changes lives. To get to that point, they call the same businesses over and over and over again to the point where some business owners have threatened legal action if they don't stop. They go by several names (SMS, GPS, ESS, to name a few) to make it sound like different companies calling out to them.

Rude and unprofessional management.
    They preach that everyone needs to have a positive mindset to be successful and that there is no negativity is allowed. Then turn around and scream at workers in front of everyone. They treat their employees like the condition they keep their building in (poor and dirty). You will often hear managers screaming across the room to each other: cursing, banging their hands on desks, and yelling at workers to get more leads (which can be very distracting if you're on a call trying to focus)

I'll end with this: if you are given the opportunity to interview with or work for this company, it would behoove you to decline the offer. There are much better places that will pay you better and not treat you like garbage.

Advice to Management

You can roll a pile of crap in powdered sugar, but that don't make it a jelly donut: treat your workers better and provide them with a base rate that can actually help them to provide for their families.

"BEWARE"

I worked at SMS full-time

Pros

No pros! They all suck! They treat employees like garbage. They talk down to you.

Cons

They lie, cheat and steal!!!! Give you false hope on making money.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat employees!!!

5. "NEVER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo Grove, IL

Pros

Nothing this was the worst company I ever worked for full of liars. They do not sell any worthwhile product

Cons

Everything, the management is terrible just google any of their names I am sure you can find out for yourselfs

Advice to Management

Stop lying to customers.

"Awful place to work for!!! Disrespectful managers!!"

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros!!! Dirty place, management is awful. Just an overall horrible place to work. If you want better for yourself, you won't find it here

Cons

This company lies right from the start. It is a telemarketing company that calls the same companies over and over. The companies that you call are not interested in doing business. The managers are unprofessional. They chew spit dip on the work floor, they yell across the work floor and they curse every 5 seconds. The managers yells and will curse out employees and will not help them become better salesman. The pay is horrible. It is a bunch of ex criminals working there. Protect yourself and don't go. If you are ok with being cursed at and make 8.25/hr go for it.

Advice to Management

Horrible people to work with. Will curse you out and will be unprofessional the entire day

"aggravating"

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the training was decent but after that everything was aggravating. Some employees were nice.

Cons

False advertising saying you can make $1000 a week when you make minimum wage unless you get a lead and still no garantuee youll make whats advertised. You're an annoying telemarketer thats your job. They said they will pay you for training but they are liars, I never got my check and its been two weeks. they kicked mw out even though i was a trainee, and i learned at my own pace. very terrible job

Advice to Management

I hope you guys get sued for for false advertising. Stop telling people lies about how you get paid weekly, when its biweekly. Learn to treat your employees and trainees with respect. Youre not fooling anybody, this job is TELEMARKETING. Give me my check!! I followed your guidelines and came for a full day after training. I am going to warn others about how this company is a scam.

"BC work we had to lie to clients and not say what we really do"

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

can learn alot about difference businesses as well as fundamentals about business in general

Cons

they like to wave the carrot to make 1000 per week and get promoted when in reality...you are lucky to make 1 sale in a week which barely pays much over minimum wage

Advice to Management

do not listen to tyler he has personally allowed this company which once was doing
    $200 million per year plummet to around $60M, they also just fired all their highest paid execs, namely ken Sweet who oversaw all consulting projects since SMS which was IPA's inception, they are doomed and Daniz was also canned....if your related to Burgess or Lubich you are a lifer..but they really are just a bunch of dumb jocks who know didly about how to run a company

"SMS/GPS/ISI/Global Resorce/IPA Sales,SAM, and BC positions are bogus!!!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro listed above is really a con. They do everything they can to work with people and keep people because the salary, commission, and bonus structure are BS! I am a real salesman and have been in sales for over a decade.
    (I wouldn't still be doing it if I wasn't successful)

Cons

In any job where I made a sale, I got paid. NOT HERE FOLKS!! Your salary in every position is dependent on what they guy involved in the process after you does. If he fails you don't get paid. Let me break it down for you. The idea is to get a consulting project for the company. It starts with a Business Coordinator doing some appointment setting for a sales rep. IF he gets an appointment (and the leads are absolutely terrible/ wrong names, wrong addresses, out of business, income incompatible; 65% of the companies leads in its decade old database are no good) the sales rep that goes to the appointment MUST convince the client he needs an Analyst for you to get your commission!!! Once the sales rep/ SAM sells it (if he does) He doesn't get paid unless the Analyst he sends in after he leaves collects an analysis fee (which the client has an option not to pay, given to him in writing) Also even if the client is convinces he needs an Analysts, the company has way less Analysts than reps so they may not even send the Analyst, thus no pay for the rep. If the Analysts is successful in convincing the client he needs consulting, the Analysts doesn't get paid until the consulting fees are collected! SO IN A NUT SHELL, YOU CAN BE THE VERY BEST AT YOUR JOB AND NEVER MAKE A CENT!! I was an INSIDE sales rep which is the same as an outside one in pay structure but i did my sales over the phone. I made quite a few Analysts appointments in my short time in that department but they didn't send out an Analyst even once!! (in my opinion, due to work place politics: If your not in bed with the management, your last on the list) So I moved to the Business Coordinator department to do appointment setting. Even with horrible leads I managed to begin the upper 50% of my department in performance from day one in the department. I was only there for 3 weeks and generated 50 SOLID leads for the reps. The clients I had told me everything about their companies and my reps knew exactly what they needed to do. Out of 50 leads generated only 2 resulted in an Analyst being sent and only 1 fee collected. Long Story short: AFTER 10 YEARS AS A SUCCESSFUL SALESMAN, I WAS REDUCED TO MINIMUM WAGE!! I stayed with SMS (and their list of alias names) for 3 months and never saw more than $320 for a weeks work!! When I put in my 2 weeks notice, I was told not to worry about two weeks and to just take it as time off (unpaid of course) so I was essentially fired. Luckily I had another job with a former employer in less than an hour. I quit on a Monday and was supposes to have received a paycheck the prior Friday!! Its been several days since payday and nobody knows where my paycheck is........they get real butt hurt if you quit, so if your stuck at SMS, I suggest you quit right after receiving your paycheck and pray they send the ones still owed to you in the mail.

Advice to Management

If I were John Burgess (the owner) I would start fixing my tarnished lead database. (it isn't hard to do) If those 65%
    of bad leads i mentioned were fixed it would raise sales by 65%. AND I WOULD FIGURE OUT A WAY TO PAY EMPLOYEES FOR THEIR OWN PERFORMANCE AND NOT FOR THE PERFORMANCE OF OTHERS!!

10. "Best job to learn how to sell"

Former Employee - Business Coordinator in Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at SMS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

being able to change the mindset of a business owner is a heck of a feat to accomplish, but once you do...you can sell anybody

Cons

none...not really..best job I ever ad and will help me in my future career path

Advice to Management

just keep doing what you are doing...2 thumbs up