SMS Senior Area Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Danzig

Pros
Cons
  • A lot of Micromanaging for minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• They promise qualified leads and yet more of the places i went to said that they told the telemarketer Not to send anyone (in 5 reviews)

1. "Senior Area Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SMS (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional company that gives the Manager to freedom to expand his or her territory.

Cons

Inconsistent pay based upon sales

Advice to Management

Pay your staff according too their work performance

"Bad leads"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in North Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in North Miami, FL

I worked at SMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best group of individuals I have worked with.

Cons

The quality of the leads are the worst. You are given 5 to 6 leads ever morning to run but they are the worst quality leads possible.
    On one is expecting you and are are expected to close a sales on one sit

Advice to Management

spend some money on quality leads

3. "Senior Area Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Palm Springs, CA

Pros

Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for. The management truly cares about the clients they serve and treats their employees like family. This company is more than a job...it is the best career one could hope to obtain.

Cons

I don't experience any downsides to this job. If you want to make 300K a year you have to work hard. What would someone expect for that kind of potential????

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing. The level of support is amazing and the values this company represents are outstanding.

"Commission only"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money once you get paid.

Cons

Hard to get enough quality appointments.

"Senior Area Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Make a lot of money in a short period of time if you are good at the job.

Cons

Company slams the client with high fees with little or no good outcomes. They are infamous for hurting the small business owner by charging them a high up fee for 3 days of work by their analysts. However, once they send a consultant to the company they start racking up huge hourly fees that in reality have little to no benefit to the business. They harass the owners of the business until they get money out of them for bad business advice that they can't connect to any real savings or benefit to the business. If the business owner refuses to pay they will squat on the premises of the business and stalk the business owner until the business owner becomes so frustrated that they will put the charges on a credit card to get them off their property. As a sales person I realized that no matter how good I was at selling in the end I did not want to be involved with an organization such as this and their business practices. I also realized that it was a good old boys club that was more like a popularity contest and less like a performance based organization. If you don't kiss up you won't get good appointments. You will be sent to the Inside Sales Department and sent in circles to chase your tail. They will consider you an outcast if you start to complain based on your observations of reality. Once I realized they were full of it I just changed my phone number and cut off all contact with them and went out and got a better job with a company that does what they say they are going to do. And now I don't have to worry about a bad reputation on the internet killing my sales. Funny thing is that now I can help businesses that were once screwed over by this awful company because I have been on the inside and know what it is REALLY like. Don't go to work there if you are smart and don't work with them if you are a business owner reading this!

Advice to Management

Nothing can help you. You are criminals. You lost your law license for a reason. You don't respect women obviously and deserve the label you got when you had those women file a class action lawsuit against you and go on Oprah to complain. Your business is going to fail no matter how many times you change the name. You have damaged a whole industry of consultants that actually do good work and have to prove that they are NOT you. Sadly, you will never change and not take away anything good from this. But it's obvious you are going out of business since you had to fire so many people that have been with you for over 10-15 years. Those people will go to work at other companies and work against you no matter what flimsy peice of paper you made them sign. Ha!

"Pitiful"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can get a good lead and honestly sell yourself and the "offerings" it would be fine.

Cons

No qualified leads as promised. Basically have to hammer the owner to let you stay and "sell" or get blown out by your manager as to why you aren't doing things right, even though you are doing as you learned in training! If a business owner is simply not interested in their "product" you HAVE to call in and sit through the uncomfortable feeling of your manager trying to persuade them in taking an analysis or telling them why they are idiots not to BUY form the company!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing...apparetly with the right type of people (who don't mind the BS) you will continue to make lots of money!!

"IMHO...THE WORST company I've ever encountered"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

There are no "Pros" in working for this company. One day was all that was necessary to see a descending career.

Cons

Everthing I read about this company was, and is, true. Allegations, charges, complaints, usery, etc - IT IS TRUE. Do not waste your time if what you're reading is telling you not to proceed. I took the week-long training online. Received my so-called leads on Saturday. All lead cards read with positive messages such as: "he is excited you're local", "he's anticipating the meeting", "they are open to the discussion", "they'd love to take advantage of what we have to offer", etc. I drove 180 miles (to the appoinments and back home) that Monday. Of the 5 leads, I saw 1. He said he didn't get a call and is already sserviced by someone else. The other 4 were NO GOOD. Like the others said, you can complain to management but they'll tell you "hang in there. You must have done something wrong." The same every no is closer to a yes. Except in this setup every no is closer to you being broke (making NO $$$) and chased off the "customers" premises. I ended the relationship that Monday evening. IT'S NOT WORTH YOUR TIME. If I were allowed to use my own network at least I'd get in the door. However, once my network were to research this company I'd no longer have access to that network. I'm glad i didn't expose my network to SMS.

Advice to Management

Do not pass GO. Do not collect anymore fees. Shut your doors immediately.

"Awful experience, poorly managed company, abusive staff, and a fraud!"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Well, they do have a business license.

Cons

Everything about SMS is a con simply because they are con artists!

Advice to Management

Close the company down and go out of business!

"Liars"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Nothing. At least I can say I've been to Chicago now.

Cons

Every "lead" they send you has been called many times before. They send you on appointments that do not exist. They lie to their prospects, they lie to you, they even lie to each other in the home office. If you don't mind being lied to and being instructed to lie to prospects, then by all means, jump right in and apply.

Advice to Management

Close the doors. Honest, upstanding people do not do business this way.

"Avoid this sinking ship at all costs."

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You'll learn how to sell...aggressively.

- SOME of the experienced senior staff (based in IL) are competent.

Cons

- You are a con-artist. This isn't necessarily your fault, but the actual product that SMS sells -- its business consultation -- is a joke. Not only will they not explain their process to you, the employee, but the testimonials they do offer are all shaky at best. If you want the real story, just search for the CEO, BBB ratings, and OTHER client testimonies.

- Incredibly high work demand, often ignoring work-life balance completely. Nowhere near enough compensation for travel, especially given the amount of leads that are DOA.

- The 100% commission wouldn't be bad if: 1. Your commission wasn't based on a "satisfaction or your money back" product, and 2. Your closing rates were better. Most businesses don't want the services of SMS because they don't really offer much.

- The company still has a bad rep, and there are plenty of leads who know about it. SMS assumes that the businesses it wants to work with won't know about what they do...SMBs are not PREY.

Advice to Management

I don't know. This company is far past the point of assistance. I'd advise you to cut your losses and buy your nice private island while you can.