SMS Senior Area Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Dave Danzig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • you are lucky to make 1 sale in a week which barely pays much over minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• Everything, the management is terrible just google any of their names I am sure you can find out for yourselfs (in 3 reviews)

1. "Senior Area Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Palm Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Palm Springs, CA

Pros

Absolutely the best company I have ever worked for. The management truly cares about the clients they serve and treats their employees like family. This company is more than a job...it is the best career one could hope to obtain.

Cons

I don't experience any downsides to this job. If you want to make 300K a year you have to work hard. What would someone expect for that kind of potential????

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you're doing. The level of support is amazing and the values this company represents are outstanding.

2. "If you can lower your ethical standards it is a great place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many, they do make attempts to train but don’t follow a lot of their own policies. Very enticing payment structure but not all jobs pay which is out of your hands.

Cons

The supposed leads are nothing more than warnings to owners that they are sending a rep to a business whether the owner wants to have the rep there or not. They go by a lot of different names- SMS, GPS, IDS, STA, CBS are all the same company of ISI which was IPA.

Advice to Management

Update technology like what you are trying to do for the businesses you are supposedly trying to help. Better training for management on how to better motivate employees rather than intimidate.

3. "Be Ready"

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Southwest, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Area Manager in Southwest, IN

I have been working at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

These guy expect performance but they train you all the time to get you there.
    Pay is strong and they reimburse most expenses at a reasonable rate. If you travel on a blitz they take care of everything. One of the more rewarding jobs ive had in part because i have a good director. Needs sales to be successful but who doesnt!

Cons

More rejections than acceptance and this industry has baggage you have to learn to overcome.

Advice to Management

Treat me professionally at every conversation. Let me do my job and don't feel you need to be on top me at all times. (recently this has gotten much better). Change some of the model and expect more professionalism and not stress. This could be a dream job and in the end more sales!!

4. "Too many chiefs!! Not enough Indians!!"

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager

I have been working at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No value to their process of management.

Cons

Read the title of this post.

Advice to Management

Streamline the management process.

5. "Senior Area Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SMS (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional company that gives the Manager to freedom to expand his or her territory.

Cons

Inconsistent pay based upon sales

Advice to Management

Pay your staff according too their work performance

"Bad leads"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in North Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in North Miami, FL

I worked at SMS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best group of individuals I have worked with.

Cons

The quality of the leads are the worst. You are given 5 to 6 leads ever morning to run but they are the worst quality leads possible.
    On one is expecting you and are are expected to close a sales on one sit

Advice to Management

spend some money on quality leads

"Commission only"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money once you get paid.

Cons

Hard to get enough quality appointments.

"Senior Area Manager Please Read !!!"

Current Employee - Senior Area Manager

Pros

There is some very good training and some very nice people but.....

Cons

Please Read this review in it's entirety. Stay away from this company and this position. This is a very fraudulent company. They promise their sales people qualified leads but they most often are completely unfounded. Between 80% and 90% of the "appointments" are blatantly false. They have a "business coordinator" set up appointments for you that have contact names, address and times. The vast majority of the time you show up to vacant buildings or locked doors or the "contact" is not there. The client has no idea that you are coming. SMS does not pay your expenses so you are simply out the money for your time, car and gas. The clients have no knowledge of these so called appointments. SMS sets between 3 and 6 "appointments" for you each day and you will be lucky if 1 is actually there and very little chance they know why you are there or care to hear you out. This is all at your expense. They then mandate that you collect 10 business cards each day (cold calls) for which they use for telemarketing. You do not get paid for this activity. You only bear the expense and time for which you DO NOT GET PAID. They then require you to check in 4-5 times per day and have mandatory calls and sales reports during the week. They advertise this as a $100,000 opportunity but that is highly unlikely. The turnover is incredible. This is simply not a legitimate career opportunity. You could put hundreds of miles on your car each week and have no return....

Advice to Management

You will face our creator at some point and suffer the consequences......

"Senior Area Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Make a lot of money in a short period of time if you are good at the job.

Cons

Company slams the client with high fees with little or no good outcomes. They are infamous for hurting the small business owner by charging them a high up fee for 3 days of work by their analysts. However, once they send a consultant to the company they start racking up huge hourly fees that in reality have little to no benefit to the business. They harass the owners of the business until they get money out of them for bad business advice that they can't connect to any real savings or benefit to the business. If the business owner refuses to pay they will squat on the premises of the business and stalk the business owner until the business owner becomes so frustrated that they will put the charges on a credit card to get them off their property. As a sales person I realized that no matter how good I was at selling in the end I did not want to be involved with an organization such as this and their business practices. I also realized that it was a good old boys club that was more like a popularity contest and less like a performance based organization. If you don't kiss up you won't get good appointments. You will be sent to the Inside Sales Department and sent in circles to chase your tail. They will consider you an outcast if you start to complain based on your observations of reality. Once I realized they were full of it I just changed my phone number and cut off all contact with them and went out and got a better job with a company that does what they say they are going to do. And now I don't have to worry about a bad reputation on the internet killing my sales. Funny thing is that now I can help businesses that were once screwed over by this awful company because I have been on the inside and know what it is REALLY like. Don't go to work there if you are smart and don't work with them if you are a business owner reading this!

Advice to Management

Nothing can help you. You are criminals. You lost your law license for a reason. You don't respect women obviously and deserve the label you got when you had those women file a class action lawsuit against you and go on Oprah to complain. Your business is going to fail no matter how many times you change the name. You have damaged a whole industry of consultants that actually do good work and have to prove that they are NOT you. Sadly, you will never change and not take away anything good from this. But it's obvious you are going out of business since you had to fire so many people that have been with you for over 10-15 years. Those people will go to work at other companies and work against you no matter what flimsy peice of paper you made them sign. Ha!

"Pitiful"

Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Area Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SMS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you can get a good lead and honestly sell yourself and the "offerings" it would be fine.

Cons

No qualified leads as promised. Basically have to hammer the owner to let you stay and "sell" or get blown out by your manager as to why you aren't doing things right, even though you are doing as you learned in training! If a business owner is simply not interested in their "product" you HAVE to call in and sit through the uncomfortable feeling of your manager trying to persuade them in taking an analysis or telling them why they are idiots not to BUY form the company!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing...apparetly with the right type of people (who don't mind the BS) you will continue to make lots of money!!