SMU (Southern Methodist University) Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SMU (Southern Methodist University) President R. Gerald Turner
R. Gerald Turner

Pros
Cons
  • There are no cons of working for the university (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance can suck at times (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SMU (Southern Methodist University) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits which includes educational opportunities. Easily accessible via public transportation. Pays well.

Cons

You might end up in a cubicle. That's not too terrible.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Good enviroment for working"

Current Employee - Dedman Facility Operation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Dedman Facility Operation Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SMU (Southern Methodist University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best place to do part time jobs. Very co-operative, flexible, schedules shifts according to your availability

Cons

I dont find any con's as of now

3. "Provides answers to questions for 4 department over the telephone or by email."

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SMU (Southern Methodist University) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest benefit is tuition benefits.

Cons

Tuition benefits are taxed for grad studies.

5. "Student Assistant"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good stress-free work environment, excellent work culture, chance to grow and learn

Cons

Compensation, At times repetitive job can become boring

Advice to Management

Keep up the work culture and continue providing good employment to Students

6. "Great school for graduate students"

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Dallas, TX

Pros

personal growth/great and knowledgeable professors/friendly colleagues and students/good insurance/good dining hall

Cons

price for the compulsory insurance is high

Advice to Management

More budget for research programs

7. "EMBA Class organiser"

Former Employee - EMBA Class Organizer and IT Teachnician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - EMBA Class Organizer and IT Teachnician in Dallas, TX

I worked at SMU (Southern Methodist University) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Infrastructure is good. Even the pay is proper according to the the foreign nationals pay structure for Dallas. People are more polite. Social gatherings are awesome here.

Cons

The only one regret, I had after getting selected at SMU, is bus drivers are not professionals at all.

Advice to Management

None

8. "great school"

Current Employee - Ph D Student in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Ph D Student in Dallas, TX

Pros

beautiful campus, friendly environment, PI helps you with the project

Cons

small department, not to many visitor speakers

"Once was great but not so much now"

Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at SMU (Southern Methodist University) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great university with a solid academic reputation. You feel like you are making a difference in people's lives. Hours are consistent 9-5 which provides good work/life balance. Tuition benefit is nice and retirement plan is very good.

Cons

Disclosure: I'm a mildly disgruntled employee. Not because I was fired (I left SMU of my own choosing), but because of what I saw as mismanagement and incompetence from leadership that cost many people their jobs.

I left this school after more than a decade with the feeling that there was a lack of respect for staff among faculty and leadership. There is always going to be a divide between the academics and staff at any university. But at SMU that divide is the grand canyon.

The situation has only gotten worse since the budget crunch and hiring of Bain Consulting to make streamlining recommendations. Everyone on staff knows that the budget crunch comes from an overcommitment to building new facilities (including the Bush Library) coupled with the unexpected financial downturn several years ago. Now the staff and services are paying the bill and it's hard not to resent it.

Ironically, when leadership is made up entirely of the academics, the brunt of the budget cuts come at the expense of the staff and services. Funny how that works. In the end, the students are the ones to suffer.

It also impacted the benefits. Insurance contributions have tripled since the budget cutting began. Raises are few and far between. They give a 1-2% COLA if you are lucky but then call it a "merit raise." So, there aren't actually ANY merit raises. Good luck trying to cross bid into a different job because every school runs itself like an independent subsidiary. HR has almost no process for employees to cross bid into jobs in other parts of the university. So the job you hire into will most likely be the only job you ever have at SMU.

The staff work very hard to make everything run smoothly but are treated as second class citizens by the academic staff and leadership and very little voice in strategy and business decision. Since Bain Consulting came around, layoffs are plentiful and often. Many, many good professionals who have contributed a ton to the success of the school have been riffed for either budgetary or political reasons. They are followed out the door by people like myself that are disgusted by what has been happening and don't trust that they will be next on the list. So there has been a serious talent drain from the staff as of late. Unfortunately, the people go away but the work does not. Everyone is expected to do more with less.

Additionally, there was always a lack of budget and resources to do your job at the level one would expect from such a prestigious school. I had many times when I was lucky to get paper clips and printer toner when I needed it. Pay is much lower than market. Health insurance is now extremely expensive and covers less than before. My advice? Like the job you take, because there will be very little chance for advancement and promotion.

Advice to Management

The faculty are important, but remember there would be no programs and students without the hard work and dedication of the staff. Listen to them and find more ways to show appreciation and reward them like stop having them pay $25 a month to park where they work and stop charging them to use facilities like the gym. Pay your people more competitively. Your compensation for mid-level and senior staff positions is well below market. Find a way to provide better and more affordable insurance.

10. "Supportive Graduate Assistant Program"

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SMU (Southern Methodist University) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to go to school and work, flexible scheduling, good networking

Cons

A lot of administrative work

11. "Student"

Current Employee - Student Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SMU (Southern Methodist University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Masters in Telecommunications and networking is a good program

Cons

More projects should be include in the course

Advice to Management

Hands on experience should be given to students