SNBL USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryoichi Nagata

Pros
  • Many good people with lots of experience (in 5 reviews)

• The people make this place a great place to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of this work is about reacting to upper management and study director decisions (in 3 reviews)

• Noone takes responsibility, super stressfully, too many resposibilities (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good place to start"

I worked at SNBL USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great and the skills you learn will serve you well.

Cons

The company has undergone 3 lay-off cycles in the past ~5 years.

"Don't Believe the Haters"

I have been working at SNBL USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, a very good place to work in a tough industry. Company attracts really smart people committed to advancing science for those who are really sick. Client service is the name of the game in the CRO world and the company does a decent job overall. Despite what the animal rights lunatics would have you believe, people who work here are some of the most competent, compassionate, friendly and caring people I have ever worked with. You also cannot predict patient safety in an in vitro laboratory - that's tree hugging bu*#sh!t. Most managers and supervisors really care about their staff -- thank you.

Cons

Senior leaders need to be more visible. Listen to the people who work hard every day. Leave your offices! Direction of the company is still unclear sometimes. Follow through on things you start.

Advice to Management

We need you to be strong and steady as we are heading in the right direction. Remind us (your employees) how awesome we are. Focus on cost savings that would net bigger savings. Stop counting pencils.

"Needs improvement"

Pros

Biology experience for a first job.

Cons

Pay, longevity, management, company culture, treated as disposable

Advice to Management

Keep your long-term employees around and happy- clients will notice better study quality and stay around.

Nov 8, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. I am sorry your experience with our company was not more positive. We are in the process of conducting our annual employee opinion survey. We have heard from 57.23% of ... More

"Bad experience all around"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Everett, WA

I worked at SNBL USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. It's something to put on your resume and get your foot in the door of the CRO industry.

Cons

So many. Management is promoted by default from the pool of people too talentless to go elsewhere. Backstabbing and gossip is rife. HR handles sexual harassment of female employees by grilling the women on what they did to 'provoke or encourage' the harassment. I consider myself lucky to have gotten out of this job with my sanity intact.

Nov 8, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I hope you are doing well in your new position. We are in the process of conducting our annual employee opinion survey. We have heard from 57.23% of our ... More

"A foot in the door.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at SNBL USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some managers genuinely care about their employees
    -A good place to get the bare minimum experience
    -A great opportunity to build your resume if you are just starting out
    -Typical healthcare

Cons

-HR is not so trusting (Ex. spoke to HR about a situation and they told my manager, which lead to an awkward discussion..)
    -The pay is very dependent on your manager and how hard they go to bat for you. Most positions pay less than market value
    -No bonuses, no 401K, no raises. You have to threaten to quit before you see a raise.
    -Barely a training program. Once one person actually knows what they are doing they leave
    -There really isn't a pay scale. You may have had the same job as someone else, but could get paid more/less depending on who you are.

Advice to Management

I know it is difficult, but our company could really benefit from a strong training program. A lot of the issues we have have to do with the training. The less issues, the less money going down the drain.
    Equal pay would be nice. Everyone talks about their pay at some point, make sure it is at least close to equal.

Oct 10, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. As the Head of Human Resources, I am concerned that you feel confidential information was shared with your manager. It looks like you are still with our company ... More

7. "Research associate 1"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

Pros

Great pay and able to be flexible with your schedule.

Cons

At times it was unorganized and things didn't get done affecting other people schedule

Oct 10, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your comments.

"Terrible Leadship"

I worked at SNBL USA full-time

Pros

SNBL has a good benefit package and the cafeteria is nice bonus. The regular staff members are generally hard-working and friendly.

Cons

SNBL hired at least 75 people in 2015 without additional business contacts in the pipeline, then laid off at least 50 people in 2016, but didn't layoff the people they just hired. Why not just own that they over-hired and do the layoff based on seniority if the layoff was based on righting things due to "business need" as you state?

Advice to Management

Be much more transparent-people respond to authenticity not spin. Listen to your employees and these comments when people share concerns. Make genuine attempts to address concerns to truly fix what is wrong there, instead of continuing to justify your position. True leaders listen as much as they talk. Learn collaborative management techniques. Your large turnover is indicative of poor leadership, a weak HR department and cost cutting blindly instead of improving your forecasting so you can cut strategically.

Oct 11, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. You are correct - we did a lot of hiring in 2015 in anticipation of a significant increase in contracts. Though we have experienced solid growth, we have not realized ... More

"Stay away from the CRO grind"

I have been working at SNBL USA full-time

Pros

Good people in the technical roles and the facility is in relatively good condition.

This would be a good opportunity for a college grad but dont stay for more than a year or 2.

Cons

People managers lack basic skills to effectively motivate their teams. The president is amazing - he understands every position, truly inspires us to be better, is fair and accessible. Too bad this passion/skill is not seen in middle or senior leadership. HR is there to support the management not the staff. At any CRO you will be a slave to the client/pharma company. Sales will promise anything if it means getting the contract signed. Protocols/study schedules don't care about weekends, late nights or holidays so be prepared if you are exploring an opportunity here.

At a CRO, you only get limited information on the drugs you are helping the clients to test. If you want to really feel connected to a mission or more importantly to the patients that benefit from advancements in medicine, go work for a startup biotech company or even big pharma. There are lots of opportunities in Seattle where you can focus on a specific pipeline and see (sometimes even meet/interact with) the patients you are helping and you can point to a product and say "I helped bring that to market for patients with _______".

Advice to Management

Focus on investing in better training. Its been over 5 years since we had a solid training person that could both execute procedures and explain how each task fit into the big picture (ADME).

Sep 27, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. We are proud of our role in partnering with clients to advance drugs that free patients from suffering – that is our mission. Meeting client timelines can no doubt be ... More

"Decent employer"

Pros

The people are amazing. Most staff are there to work and get the job done, very friendly and helpful. Pay is decent and the healthcare benefits are great (company pays 95%). Onsite cafeteria is a nice perk. This company uses the latest technology with office machinery and computer software. It's nice that they are up to date with that. I would recommend this business for those wanting to gain GLP experience and to get their foot in the door.

Cons

However, things are changing that is troubling. There was a massive layoff, not to long ago, and an announcement that 401K company matched distributions would be halted till further notice. This is concerning, is the company going to be around in 1, 5, 10 years?

Aug 30, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your review and comments. We are fortunate to have a very amazing staff. We did experience a reduction in force recently which was very painful. We simply had to align our expenses ... More

"If Experience is what you want..."

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Everett, WA

I worked at SNBL USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very quick to learn many skills. Training team is very good even though they are very small. Get chances to work with many different species and see different techniques from both american trained technicians and Japanese trained technicians.

Cons

Management is very poor and unorganized. Lots of changes are made very quickly and the team on the floor doesn't have any guidance. Lots of this work is about reacting to upper management and study director decisions.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting study deals for big clients.

Aug 2, 2016 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your comments. Our ongoing commitment to strengthen and streamline companywide systems and processes continues. We have made significant changes across the company and will continue ... More