SNC-Lavalin GDS Reviews | Glassdoor

SNC-Lavalin GDS Reviews

3.5
CEO

1. "Great place to work but needs structure"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Baytown, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Baytown, TX

I worked at SNC-Lavalin GDS full-time

Pros

Variable and challenging work, helpful and friendly coworkers, and management leaves you alone to do your work.

Cons

New hires forced to learn by trial and error due to lack of agreement between supervisors and senior leads on procedures.

Advice to Management

Enforce existing procedures and develop a system of updating them on a regular basis.

2. "3 years Junior Engineer at SNCL"

Current Employee - Junior Engineer in Quebec, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Junior Engineer in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I have been working at SNC-Lavalin GDS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, RRSP plans
    Good travel work experience opportunities
    Very well respected company nationally and internationally

Cons

A bit draconian in their managements systems
    Not very transparent in many things
    Wasn't uncommon to see cheaper option being taken without weighing in environmental cost of destruction

Advice to Management

I worked on a project in Panama for one year. It was the most poorly run project I've ever seen, and a very detriment to the name SNC-Lavalin. Expats were drawn from all over the world, some with horrible work ethic and experience. The president of the company changes 3 times in just one year, which might indicate how unstable things were. The plain lack of management was evident in poor environmental and engineering situations on the project, and massive resources wasted.
    Please don't ever let something like this happen again. As a young engineer, it was a truly jading experience which for a while made me lost faith in the engineering profession.
    I am glad I had some good previous experiences with SNC-Lavalin to look back upon prior, so as to not right off the company altogether.