SPARGO Reviews | Glassdoor

"A Job Well Done"

Former Employee - Conference Registration Coordinator in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Conference Registration Coordinator in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Dress Code
    Fun Atmosphere
    Travel (for those that like it)
    Flexible Schedule
    Upward Movement
    Working Open Door Policy

An experience at SPARGO is what you make if it. I had a nearly flawless experience with this company. My managers were amazing. During the few occasions when life got in the way, my supervisors were more than understanding. Be transparent and talk to your supervisors.

Flexible Schedule does depend not only your integrity and work ethic as an employee, but also on feasibility of the request.

I had the honor of moving up to a different position within the department and was fortunate to see upward movement for some of my coworkers as well. SPARGO does try reward those that work hard and show potential.

There are lot of company wide events that are put on for morale. The environment is fun! I encourage future employees to put yourself out there and participate. Its a great way to get yo know the SPARGO teams.

Cons

I cannot stress enough that an experience at SPARGO is what you make of it. Personally, I resigned from SPARGO to accept a position with higher pay. I did not feel my former salary was enough to support my family.

There were times when communication within and between departments seemed to be lacking. Really, as long as you know who to ask, you can find and answer to any question.

There are also periods of time when turnover in key departments is at a high--I feel this may be due to the low salaries. At times of understaffing, yes--more work is distributed to those that management feels can handle additional tasks. This can be a bit overwhelming. But ultimately, it is up the that employee to speak up and tell his or her manager when the workload has become too heavy.

There are too many and too frequently new faces in the HR department. It is imperative that the people who facilitate and protect my employee interests (benefits, payroll, etc.) are not just friendly faces or people that are"easy to talk to". Human Resources professionals should be experts at their craft. They should be able to confidently provide any information about my employee interests. Unfortunately, there are times when you leave the afore mentioned department feeling like you have just had an audience with the Wizard of Oz. I specifically mean that you (Dorothy) may be given a shell of a response to your inquiry that is more smoke, mirrors, and formalities than actual assistance and dismissed and/or told go come back another time more convienent to HR. All the while, behind the curtain, HR is scrambling to find you more helpful information they should have been able to accurately provide you when you initially asked. An employee should have confidence in HR--not feel a second option from someone more experienced is needed. This is certainly an area improvement.

Advice to Management

I honestly feel that if SPARGO was able to pay more to each employee, they would. It would be worth it to look into giving more pay increases or other incentives to the positions that tend to feel underpaid and overworked (like coordinators, customer service agents, etc).

A concrete training regimen would be beneficial. But a huge amount of this job is dependent on hands on, on the job experience.

Keeping your employees' best interests at heart cultivates a healthy workplace. Overall, I would say SPARGO is a job well done. Keep moving forward and improving.

"The Good and the Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are super nice and in general willing to help their co-workers.

Cons

This company is filled with people that do not want to be accountable for their actions. When something doesn't go right, there is the culture of finger pointing. I makes it very difficult to build teams that want to work together. They also do not want to invest the money in the staffing it takes to "get the job done". All companies have resource issues but this company is particularly light in the area of staffing.

Advice to Management

Hire the people you need to get the work done that needs to be done.

"Event Marketing Specialist"

Former Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While working at SPARGO, I was able to collaborate with my peers and clients, which ultimately helped me gain valuable knowledge and experience in regards to working at a small yet fast-growing organization as well as coordinating trade shows. I was able to expand my duties beyond my job description, which provided me the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in many areas of trade show coordination (i.e. registration, logistics, housing, etc.). Most importantly, I always had a good laugh from my peer across the hall and never missed a moment to chat and bounce around new ideas with all of my peers. The office environment is very casual and unpredictably fun. The employees are hard-working, but help make it so that you are having fun at the same time. There is no doubt that you will have fun and learn a lot while working at SPARGO.

Cons

Working at SPARGO, you will take on many duties ("wear many hats"), so this is an opportunity best suited for someone who is a self-starter (i.e. take the initiative to get things done without being told to do so and improve upon existing processes) and willing to take on many responsibilities beyond his or her job description.

"HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SPARGO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice people who are working very hard and care about the clients.

Cons

Micro-management, toxic environment, no support of new ideas or creative thinking, lack of recognition, high turnover, no leadership or strategic thinking.

"Intern"

Former Employee - IT Intern in Lorton, VA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Lorton, VA

I worked at SPARGO part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful It staff that is always willing to help

Cons

They don't pay well and the office atmosphere took me back to highschool

Advice to Management

Think of your employees and take of them

"Horrible/Worse experience/Regret ever opening that email"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free parking, you can wear whatever you want, free coffee/tea and m&m's and goldfish in kitchens. (What a joke! This isn't kindergarten)

Cons

CFO is bi-polar and only cares about $$$, CEO is hands off and only cares about new clients, HR is a revolving door and run by someone who has only been there since September 2015....they can't keep anyone there so it's a disaster!

Advice to Management

When you get audited, maybe you will wake up!

Sep 14, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your review. SPARGO Management really cares about all of its employees and has implemented many efforts to stabilize the HR department and create a fun engaging culture. SPARGO ... More

"Great on paper but doesn't deliver"

Former Employee - Housing Coordinator in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Housing Coordinator in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small family owned company - usually an enjoyable work environment

Cons

Inconsistent management. There are a few leaders that are wonderful, and they others who are clearly "protected" by the owners and present that push their ideas through even if it's not the best for the company.

Sep 14, 2016 – HR

Thanks for your feedback. We have implemented new policies in our updated handbook as well as management training to ensure consistency in our policies and processes.

"A Small Company with Big Aspirations"

Former Employee - Technology in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Technology in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment
    A great place if you enjoy business travel
    Casual work environment (you can wear jeans if they don't have in house meetings with clients scheduled).
    Fun place to work.
    You can rise through the ranks quickly because they value smart people and hard work.

Cons

Stuck in their ways to some extent.
    Stale technology staff.
    Gossipy senior management.
    Salary is on the low side considering the hours you have to put in on show site.
    Department management has created an 'us vs. them' mentality between the departments - never have I seen such a thing at such a small company, senior management does nothing to solve this, only increase this unnecessary tension.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping ABOUT other employees TO other employees. It's incredibly unprofessional!
    Inconsistent review process between departments! One leader gives all of her employees perfect reviews to maximize their raise potential. Another leader gives her employees what she feels are realistic reviews with 'room for employee growth'. Department A employees all get MAX raises. Department B employees feel resentment - why would a small company allow this behavior?

Sep 14, 2016 – HR

Thank you for your comments. SPARGO is revamping its performance management process to ensure consistency. Benefits and salary analysis are ongoing to confirm total compensations is aligned with ... More

10. "Growing and Improving!"

Current Employee - Virginia in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Virginia in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SPARGO (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment
    GREAT benefits compared to many companies - medical, dental is extremely competitive
    Vast improvements in the use of technology over the past few years
    Improvements in technology have led to better communication
    Improvements in technology have led to ability to collaborate on work

Cons

Not all departments are knowledgeable of the new technology or haven't been trained on how to use it.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction we are, moving forward with the technologies that fortune 500 companies use (Atlassian Products, etc.)

"An example of poor management company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time

Pros

- Depending on your position, flexible work hours.
    - Occasionally remote work option.

Cons

- Bad management. They yell at people and are rude.
    - long extra hours. Need to work on Weekends without pay.
    - Lowest pay for experienced people.
    - Many people left but they don't hire for replacement. Instead makes the available once work long hours.
    - No consistent rules. Managers contradicts their own words.
    - Your day just depends on your supervisor mood.
    - You would never question your supervisor here.
    - Overall, a perfect example of companies to avoid.

Advice to Management

Review your management. Know the least qualities a manager should have.
    Review your employees salaries.
    Appreciate the people who work long extra hours and weekends.