SPARGO Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Registration Account Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Registration Account Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel opportunities, autonomous and collaborative work environment

Cons

There is really no upward mobility unless luck strikes. You're either a worker bee or a director or vp.

"Review"

I worked at SPARGO full-time

Pros

Good salary and hours

Cons

People can be nasty and rude

Advice to Management

Pick better people

3. "Registration Account Manager"

I have been working at SPARGO full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. Allows telecommuting for some employees.

Cons

Office politics can be annoying.

"Dysfunctional and unorganized"

I worked at SPARGO full-time

Pros

Consistent work schedule of Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm

Cons

Poor leadership. No positive feedback or even constructive criticism - basic work, non-stimulating. Inconsistent work load as managers do not know how to properly delegate and prefer to do the work themselves, therefore making you feel incompetent as they have a need for control. Don't expect to advance within the company as it is very small and unless you are a favorite, there is no opportunity. COO & CFO walks around as if she is better than everyone else, rarely says hi and has a stuck up attitude. If you're a fan of unprofessional and "cliques" then go for it. Be prepared to feel "useless" especially on show site. Overall, I would not recommend this company to anyone.

5. "Diverse Work"

Pros

If there's a problem, you have freedom to just fix it. A lot of opportunities to grow technically.

Cons

Constrained to a max 4% raise that requires huge justifications.

"Do your research read all the reviews on here."

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual work environment. There are some really good employees who love the work they do.

Cons

Can be a negative place to work in. Managers don't appreciate employees for their hard and dedication. Rates are low. Manager need more traning and need to be consistent .

Advice to Management

Appreciate your hard working employees, Stop gossiping it creates a negative place to work in. Show employees you really care about them (ice cream once a year is not enough)

"Don't Recommend"

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some wonderful people who I am friends with even after leaving the company. That's it. No other pros at all.

Cons

The reviews I'm reading really mirrored my experience - the people who liked working at Spargo LOVED it, and the people who didn't HATED it. Unfortunately I was one of the people who hated it. The "team" environment was really only for specific members of the team. Training was nonexistent, which lead to many problems both for me and my "team" members. There was absolutely no work/life balance - I missed three major life events, including family funerals, for a job that didn't value me at all. While I was there, I saw more people than just myself set up for failure by lack of training, favoritism, or maybe just ineptitude by higher level management, which made that lack of work/life balance even harder to accept.

Advice to Management

None. Just glad to be out of there and with a company that values me as an employee and person.

"A Job Well Done"

Former Employee - Conference Registration Coordinator in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Conference Registration Coordinator in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed Dress Code
    Fun Atmosphere
    Travel (for those that like it)
    Flexible Schedule
    Upward Movement
    Working Open Door Policy

An experience at SPARGO is what you make if it. I had a nearly flawless experience with this company. My managers were amazing. During the few occasions when life got in the way, my supervisors were more than understanding. Be transparent and talk to your supervisors.

Flexible Schedule does depend not only your integrity and work ethic as an employee, but also on feasibility of the request.

I had the honor of moving up to a different position within the department and was fortunate to see upward movement for some of my coworkers as well. SPARGO does try reward those that work hard and show potential.

There are lot of company wide events that are put on for morale. The environment is fun! I encourage future employees to put yourself out there and participate. Its a great way to get yo know the SPARGO teams.

Cons

I cannot stress enough that an experience at SPARGO is what you make of it. Personally, I resigned from SPARGO to accept a position with higher pay. I did not feel my former salary was enough to support my family.

There were times when communication within and between departments seemed to be lacking. Really, as long as you know who to ask, you can find and answer to any question.

There are also periods of time when turnover in key departments is at a high--I feel this may be due to the low salaries. At times of understaffing, yes--more work is distributed to those that management feels can handle additional tasks. This can be a bit overwhelming. But ultimately, it is up the that employee to speak up and tell his or her manager when the workload has become too heavy.

There are too many and too frequently new faces in the HR department. It is imperative that the people who facilitate and protect my employee interests (benefits, payroll, etc.) are not just friendly faces or people that are"easy to talk to". Human Resources professionals should be experts at their craft. They should be able to confidently provide any information about my employee interests. Unfortunately, there are times when you leave the afore mentioned department feeling like you have just had an audience with the Wizard of Oz. I specifically mean that you (Dorothy) may be given a shell of a response to your inquiry that is more smoke, mirrors, and formalities than actual assistance and dismissed and/or told go come back another time more convienent to HR. All the while, behind the curtain, HR is scrambling to find you more helpful information they should have been able to accurately provide you when you initially asked. An employee should have confidence in HR--not feel a second option from someone more experienced is needed. This is certainly an area improvement.

Advice to Management

I honestly feel that if SPARGO was able to pay more to each employee, they would. It would be worth it to look into giving more pay increases or other incentives to the positions that tend to feel underpaid and overworked (like coordinators, customer service agents, etc).

A concrete training regimen would be beneficial. But a huge amount of this job is dependent on hands on, on the job experience.

Keeping your employees' best interests at heart cultivates a healthy workplace. Overall, I would say SPARGO is a job well done. Keep moving forward and improving.

"The Good and the Bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at SPARGO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are super nice and in general willing to help their co-workers.

Cons

This company is filled with people that do not want to be accountable for their actions. When something doesn't go right, there is the culture of finger pointing. I makes it very difficult to build teams that want to work together. They also do not want to invest the money in the staffing it takes to "get the job done". All companies have resource issues but this company is particularly light in the area of staffing.

Advice to Management

Hire the people you need to get the work done that needs to be done.

"Disorganized Dev Environment, Major Tech Debt, More Work Than Staff"

Pros

Team members are friendly for the most part, there are great folks that work at Spargo.
    Flexible work from home options after the first year of employment.

There is an initiative to push to a new system that addresses many complaints in the Cons section. Unfortunately this been 6+ years in the works and the system still has a long way to go. Hopefully it will finish at some point to help move things forward.

Cons

The Cons I listed are mainly from a technical perspective. Again, Spargo has great people but these issues create a lot of frustration between team members and one's own job satisfaction.

-80% of the code base is technical debt, this makes it hard to improve and maintain the apps.
    -Major scaling issues exist, there is a cluster of poorly written websites instead of a well built centralized system.
    -Many web apps are written in Classic ASP, it made my career feel very "dead end".
    -Internal apps are written in ES3 Javascript, the industry is moving into ES6 at the moment.
    -Lack of proper build and QA processes. Much work is done in an ad-hoc fashion.
    -Solo development on projects without collaboration, this creates alot of Bus Factor and hurts when people leave or are on vacation.
    -Turn around times can be unreasonable, 1-2 day turn around times are not uncommon.
    -Many members of the dev team work 50+ hours per week. This creates a poor work-life balance. There are weekend on-call rotations in addition to the said 50+ hour work weeks. Spargo's policy is that you need to be able to jump onto a computer within 15 minutes or less. Again, poor work-life balance...
    -Learning opportunities are few and far between because of the old tech stack and work volume.
    -The software side of the business feels like a loosing battle as few want to embrace new technologies that can solve existing business problems.

-Training for new hires seems to be a sink or swim approach, instead of building people up and focusing on their strengths. This isn't intentional, there is just too much work on everyone's plate and it is very hard to spare the time to get trainees up to speed.

Advice to Management

Focus on team building and treat your employees better, they are the lifeblood of your organization. When their quality of life improves, so will the products they deliver.