SPARTA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2019

Found 30 reviews

3.3
Tim Heely
  1. "Best company I worked for"

Former Employee - Liaison in Honolulu, HI

I worked at SPARTA for more than 10 years

Pros

Leadership was always available. Great team environment

Cons

Corporate HQ is in VA!

Advice to Management

Keep Biff playing piano!

SPARTA2018-08-22
    • "Fantastic. Best company I ever worked for."

Former Employee - Branch Chief, Systems Integration & Verification in Arlington, VA

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

Business and management philosophy, and leadership,

Cons

Company was better when employee owned.

SPARTA2011-04-20
    • "Love working here"

I worked at SPARTA full-time

Pros

Loved every bit of it

Cons

Didn't find any cons to be honest

SPARTA2019-05-15
    • "Software ENgineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

flexible schedule with excellent benefits for singles and families. Also, there were a number of create opportunities.

Cons

I did not care to continue working in the defense industry after a couple years experience.

SPARTA2012-09-30
    • "Great place to work during employee-owned period. Tough sledding over last couple of years."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

Great people doing really important work. Some of the best engineers and scientists you'll find. Culture that rewarded technical achievement and recognized value of technical effort in ensuring that the business flourished. Entrepreneurial spirit drove the organization, decentralized management left lots of key decisions close to the working level, bid and proposal ran, by and large, in the units responsible for customer...

Cons

As org grew, more and more focus on growth pulled resources up to go after bigger and bigger targets. When company was bought by Cobham plc many things, necessarily, needed to change to "feed the beast" and pay the bills up to "headquarters." During transition and sale many of the key benefits, to our customers, were lost sight of. Being an organization primarily made up of engineers and scientists, the "human touch"...

SPARTA2011-05-31
    • "Great overall experience"

I worked at SPARTA

Pros

Great work environment Good people Always have ability to answer questions regarding work Never felt as though I was going left out even though I was an intern

Cons

There was a lack of training from the beginning. I was never given proper advice on exactly what to do at times but just had to ask.

SPARTA2015-01-28
    • "Sparta was a good company. It started out as a small business that grew into a large business"

Former Employee - Engineer in Rosslyn, VA

I worked at SPARTA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Even though it Sparta grew into a large business it maintained the "feel" of a small business. The people were very talented in their disciplines.

Cons

Sometimes the small business operations were not always favorable for an employee. Because there was not a functional organization when the program you were working came to an end it was employee's responsibility to find his next assignment.

Advice to Management

Consider implementing a functional organization to assist employees in transitioning to their next job.

SPARTA2014-09-22
    • "Great people, seems things are different Post-Parsons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at SPARTA full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked with. Many were left from when the company started (as a small employee-owned company) and were the quirky IT-type. They all genuinely cared about one another and were very welcoming to me as a newcomer. I greatly enjoyed the variety of work and the independent nature of my job.

Cons

The transition to Parsons was anything but smooth. It was particularly difficult when it came to HR issues (changing from local to corporate). Benefits were crappy as a new employee. Security Officer was a joke and a PITA. Billing of hours was unrealistic and (I believe) often falsified by employees.

Advice to Management

It is not realistic to expect 8 billable hours a day from people. People need to be able to use the restroom, get coffee, and briefly catch up with a coworker. I often had to spend 9.5-10 hours a day at the office in order to get 8 billable hours. I honestly don't know how others did it.

SPARTA2014-08-04
    • "Great company, sad I had to move on"

Former Employee - AV Tech in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at SPARTA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good pay for what I was doing, nothing to compain about The management was always there to help and were very clean on direction of the company The benifits that the company offered were excellent

Cons

The company did not have the position that I was wanting to move onto, which was a govt contract so I was forced to leave the job with Sparta and join another company. I was sad to go but I later found out that Sparta was bought out by a larger company

Advice to Management

Nothing to really add, they did a great job

SPARTA2013-02-27
    • "Good people, fantastic technology"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Centreville, VA

I have been working at SPARTA full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have extremely smart people working for them. The code base is fantastic and simply a pleasure to work with. They have reasonable benefits. It feels great to help protect the US.

Cons

They got bought twice while I was there, the second purchase lost some benefits.

SPARTA2012-09-27