SPX Reviews | Glassdoor

SPX Reviews

Updated October 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You are expected to work hard but work/life balance is good and top performers are typically rewarded accordingly (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits package with health and 401k (in 20 reviews)

Cons

1. "Management has little direction"

Pros

A global company with potential to be a better company now that they have split into two companies. Flexible hours with some remote work allowed.

Cons

Middle management is at odds with each other over who has what responsibilities. Upper management isn't helping with separation of duties.

Advice to Management

Split brain management organizational model isn't working with current middle managers. Need some hierarchy to lead defined path to defined goals.

2. "Glad to be gone! - SPX Genfare, Elk Grove Village IL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at SPX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live near Elk Grove Village then the commute is not bad. Free parking which is not uncommon for the suburbs.

Cons

This review applies exclusively to my experience at SPX Genfare located in Elk Grove Village.

My overall advice is to avoid this company at all costs. There is an overall lack of respect and value that the company places on its employees and contractors by the new external management team. You are a rockstar while your needed then you are let go with little to no notice (this applies to full time employees as well as contractors).

If you are looking to do an internship I would also advise that you stay away, the technologies and processes that are used are either outdated or non existent ( you will learn nothing).

Engineering is in the process of being overhauled. Most of the upper level management has been outsourced to a small consultant team that are gradually expanding and taking over the entire operation (farmed out to India). Current full time employees are either being let go or forced out by the the new management team. Current contractors and full time employees are being let go with out any notice. Last year employees were forced to use up their paid vacation in December so little to none were carried over into the new year. This was then followed by layoffs the next year. I don't believe this will change anytime soon and things I imagine will become much worse until the company goes under or it gets sold.

I would also like to say that the people are really nice but that would be a stretch. There are a few nice people but overall the new management and direction the company is going has made the place quite unfriendly.

List of cons:
    Management is very disorganized, employees are expected to come in on the weekends with little to no notice.
    Very low job security.
    Full time employees were let go after a few months of employment
    The company is cheap, you need to bring your own coffee
    Cups and utensils are not offered
    Equipment i.e. laptops are out dated
    Stationary is hard to come by
    Snack and water bottles are not available
    Management is extremely disorganized
    Benefits pass the bare minimum, the health insurance plan requires a lot of out of pocket expenses ( I went with my wife's health insurance plan)

Advice to Management

Please treat people with respect and dignity. Please get to know your employees make eye contact with them and say hello once in a while. Please also provide the basic amenities like coffee, bottled water etc. If you want to fire someone or lay them off please give them some notice because there is a good chance that are already looking or they are thinking about looking.

3. "Horrible work environment"

Former Employee - Spacer Fabricator in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Spacer Fabricator in Waukesha, WI

I worked at SPX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay. Paid holidays

Cons

Co workers feel very entitled, they hate their job and thus they hate the people around them .

Advice to Management

Do something . I actually had my immediate supervisor tell me the employees acted like children and he was just riding it out until his retirement!!

SPX Response

Jun 6, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for this feedback. As you are aware, we recently conducted a company wide employee engagement survey and our intent is exactly as you stated: "do something"! We are committed to... More

"TCI International Fremont, CA - Get Out While You Can!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at SPX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having a paycheck every other week is always nice to have. Free soda in the breakroom (free water, but only if you're in a meeting). Donuts on Friday (until the person that does this nice gesture retires)

Cons

TCI International tends to sweep customer problems under the carpet and wait until they don't respond back. Management didn't really know what to focus on or prioritize and their main product really began to spiral with unrealistic goals/objectives. TCI would prepare for orders that hadn't even been fulfilled yet, but they was banked on them being placed eventually (fingers crossed). No sign of growth within the company, not unless you were the son of the head of the company. Definitely lot of blame game going around, conversations/emails tend to be filled with adjectives of "WRONG!" Every month or so there are negative/passive aggressive emails exchanges occur. A lot of things went on behind the scenes (smoking electronic cigarettes one's cubicle). There are no signs/indicators on the bathrooms that say whether the bathroom is vacant or occupied, so there's a lot of confused people/foreign customers violently grabbing at locked doors. Manufacturing/production people are treated like they're in a third world country; some of the folks that are involved in production/manufacturing like to refer to their workplace as a "rat-trap" or "sweat shop."

Production people tend to be treated like they're lower class and uneducated. A lot of times at TCI, multiple projects varying in size/technicality are thrown onto the individual whether they are related or not. It's up to the individual to find balance and a solution these projects that tend to be polar opposites (or last minute fixes). Reserving a test bench or project space to run your tests doesn't exist at TCI, if a higher-up person/person's project is more important than yours, they'll kick you out and take your spot. There's no keeping of a baseline configuration for all products at TCI, it's whatever solution gets the same output for whichever product they are currently working on is the key. If you find an error in some product on the way, then sweep it under the table and hope that the customer won't find it or that a future software version will cover up this error. Higher-up staff and the highest position in the company do not have the technical background to make decisions or understand technical issues. When this type of thing happens you get people who are unclear of realistic timeframes of solving technical problems, and layoffs of 10% of their company.

For Christmas they bought everybody chocolates (some people are diabetics). If you're on your lunch break managers love to pay visits to their employees and ask them for an explanation or help with a problem even if you're trying to abide by the law and have lunch. Whether you're trying to rest in your cube during lunch or eating in the break room, if management wants something to be fixed they tend to not care if they take you away from your lunch. "Hard-work" is not clearly defined, if you are efficient/effective at what you do they would rather see you in the office till 8PM and up early the next day. Word travels quickly in this small company even if the information about you is confidential. Conversations are held in the middle of the hallways and tend to attract people (mostly upper management/management), and although management might not need to be in the conversation, they tend to stick around in the conversation to make it seem like they're having an intelligent/important discussion. Every week management has you write down a detailed description of your weekly milestones and what you've been working on, but then when they confront you in the hall about what you've been up to they act as if they have no idea of what you've been up to.

Advice to Management

Very small tiers of management. If there's a project that needs to be completed, Upper Management will make their rounds to the individual employee(s) that are responsible for that work and ask them why they haven't completed the task yet, then a second round of upper management within 10 minutes will approach the same individual and ask them why their work isn't done and when can they expect it to be finished (a method of which most upper management does to look like they're "busy").

Managers of the both software and regular engineering teams are unclear about priorities, and what is actually going on in each program or project. There's a lot of covering your own tail and making sure the people below you aren't doing/learning anything that has a lot of visibility or benefit to the company (that way when there is a layoff they let go of the people that are at the bottom of the barrel). Don't have a non-technical person (Upper management) come to meetings and talk about why a problem isn't fixed when they don't understand the technicality behind the issue or the timeframe in which it is capable of being fixed.

Management tends to have meetings everyday that like aren't very productive or result in any progress (but they hold them anyway so that it looks like they're doing something important). Looking busy when you're not is a key trait that most upper management has adopted. Management tend to make passive aggressive comments about putting in hard work in order to move up the chain (not a good tactic especially if you're trying to encourage people to do their best work).

5. "former employee"

Former Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Warehouse Material Handler in Olathe, KS

I worked at SPX (More than 10 years)

Pros

good insurance, some paid holidays after hired on permanent.

Cons

not allowed to go to doctor appts. or stay home sick without attendance points. If you do not have vacation or not eligible for fmla and you or your child has on going needs and trips to doctor or having to stay home to bad go to work anyway. I had to go to work on one occassion with a 101 fever, with trips to the restroom every 30 minutes this went on for three days!!!!! They dont accept doctors notes unless you stay home at least two days and even then you still get an attendance points how stupid!!!! worked there for over ten years. They fire people for anything and everything. would not recommend to anyone to work at that place. no room for advancement from on the floor level.

Advice to Management

Get a back bone!!!!! give incenitives to hourly employees

6. "Hostile Environment"

I have been working at SPX full-time

Pros

Clean working environment and fair wages

Cons

Hostile and Chaotic, reductions in force has caused many team to not want to help others because they are already filling in the gaps.

Advice to Management

Invest in people during downturns in the market instead of reduction in force that adds to the hostile environment.

"It never got better"

Former Employee - Electronic Technician
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician

Pros

I thought they gave ample vacation time. We had personal days also to use at our pleasure was a bonus also. Sometimes getting the time off was difficult.

Cons

Some areas had so much mandatory overtime, especially at quarter end which always disrupted Christmas. My worst managers were with SPX. Yearly reviews were a time to dread. Positives were seldom addressed and the negatives were stressed. One review was graded as unsatisfactory because the manager wrote I took no classes. When I pointed out I took classes for seven weeks that year they said, "thats right, you did." Regardless, I was not eligible for a raise that year because of their mistake. One manager of mine which I went to HR because of inaccurate reviews was eventually let go for failing the drug test. The HR person agreed the review grade didn't match the review content but told me I had to build a relationship with that manager.
    Be prepared to see few raises, issues will be invented if needed.

Advice to Management

What level of leadership are you referring ? The leadership at the facility where I worked should be let go. Hire managers that have people skills. Hire managers that are born with ethics and morals and live their lives abiding by them, including their time spent at work.

"Employees are purely expandable asset. Get rid of people in 2 hrs."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SPX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tasks basis working environment.
    In fact, task is never ending.

Cons

Working for more than 7 years.
    I get "exceed expectations" grade for almost every year of performance review.
    Guess how much bonus i get?
    Average 3-5 days of my salary.
    Yes, 3-5 days, which is not even quater month salary, compare to average market rate for 1.5 - 2 mths.

That is the reward for working so hard, and sacrifice my social life & family time.
    That is SPX.

Advice to Management

What use of giving advice where the management won't listen to it?

9. "Good luck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Didsbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Didsbury, England (UK)

I have been working at SPX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None- Seriously nothing what so ever .........................

Cons

Penny pinchers.
    Management does not care about you.

Advice to Management

pfft- Good luck

10. "no growth"

Former Employee - International Sales in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - International Sales in Miami, FL

Pros

big company with decent benefits

Cons

lack of future direction and internal growth

Advice to Management

get better sales people because people are being let go due to numbers