SPX Reviews | Glassdoor

SPX Reviews

Updated March 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You are expected to work hard but work/life balance is good and top performers are typically rewarded accordingly (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits package with health and 401k (in 19 reviews)

"Warehouse"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Ocala, FL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Ocala, FL

I worked at SPX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company it's very good when it comes to benefits, your schedule it's good too,the pay is not that bad.

Cons

Racism, prejudism, and bigotry is what most stands out in the warehouse Department and upper management of SPX aftermarket

Advice to Management

Don't promote people because you like them,promote them because of their work quality

2. "Management has little direction"

Pros

A global company with potential to be a better company now that they have split into two companies. Flexible hours with some remote work allowed.

Cons

Middle management is at odds with each other over who has what responsibilities. Upper management isn't helping with separation of duties.

Advice to Management

Split brain management organizational model isn't working with current middle managers. Need some hierarchy to lead defined path to defined goals.

3. "Glad to be gone! - SPX Genfare, Elk Grove Village IL"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at SPX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live near Elk Grove Village then the commute is not bad. Free parking which is not uncommon for the suburbs.

Cons

This review applies exclusively to my experience at SPX Genfare located in Elk Grove Village.

My overall advice is to avoid this company at all costs. There is an overall lack of respect and value that the company places on its employees and contractors by the new external management team. You are a rockstar while your needed then you are let go with little to no notice (this applies to full time employees as well as contractors).

If you are looking to do an internship I would also advise that you stay away, the technologies and processes that are used are either outdated or non existent ( you will learn nothing).

Engineering is in the process of being overhauled. Most of the upper level management has been outsourced to a small consultant team that are gradually expanding and taking over the entire operation (farmed out to India). Current full time employees are either being let go or forced out by the the new management team. Current contractors and full time employees are being let go with out any notice. Last year employees were forced to use up their paid vacation in December so little to none were carried over into the new year. This was then followed by layoffs the next year. I don't believe this will change anytime soon and things I imagine will become much worse until the company goes under or it gets sold.

I would also like to say that the people are really nice but that would be a stretch. There are a few nice people but overall the new management and direction the company is going has made the place quite unfriendly.

List of cons:
    Management is very disorganized, employees are expected to come in on the weekends with little to no notice.
    Very low job security.
    Full time employees were let go after a few months of employment
    The company is cheap, you need to bring your own coffee
    Cups and utensils are not offered
    Equipment i.e. laptops are out dated
    Stationary is hard to come by
    Snack and water bottles are not available
    Management is extremely disorganized
    Benefits pass the bare minimum, the health insurance plan requires a lot of out of pocket expenses ( I went with my wife's health insurance plan)

Advice to Management

Please treat people with respect and dignity. Please get to know your employees make eye contact with them and say hello once in a while. Please also provide the basic amenities like coffee, bottled water etc. If you want to fire someone or lay them off please give them some notice because there is a good chance that are already looking or they are thinking about looking.

5. "Horrible work environment"

Former Employee - Spacer Fabricator in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Spacer Fabricator in Waukesha, WI

I worked at SPX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay. Paid holidays

Cons

Co workers feel very entitled, they hate their job and thus they hate the people around them .

Advice to Management

Do something . I actually had my immediate supervisor tell me the employees acted like children and he was just riding it out until his retirement!!

"It never got better"

Former Employee - Electronic Technician
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician

Pros

I thought they gave ample vacation time. We had personal days also to use at our pleasure was a bonus also. Sometimes getting the time off was difficult.

Cons

Some areas had so much mandatory overtime, especially at quarter end which always disrupted Christmas. My worst managers were with SPX. Yearly reviews were a time to dread. Positives were seldom addressed and the negatives were stressed. One review was graded as unsatisfactory because the manager wrote I took no classes. When I pointed out I took classes for seven weeks that year they said, "thats right, you did." Regardless, I was not eligible for a raise that year because of their mistake. One manager of mine which I went to HR because of inaccurate reviews was eventually let go for failing the drug test. The HR person agreed the review grade didn't match the review content but told me I had to build a relationship with that manager.
    Be prepared to see few raises, issues will be invented if needed.

Advice to Management

What level of leadership are you referring ? The leadership at the facility where I worked should be let go. Hire managers that have people skills. Hire managers that are born with ethics and morals and live their lives abiding by them, including their time spent at work.

"Employees are purely expandable asset. Get rid of people in 2 hrs."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at SPX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tasks basis working environment.
    In fact, task is never ending.

Cons

Working for more than 7 years.
    I get "exceed expectations" grade for almost every year of performance review.
    Guess how much bonus i get?
    Average 3-5 days of my salary.
    Yes, 3-5 days, which is not even quater month salary, compare to average market rate for 1.5 - 2 mths.

That is the reward for working so hard, and sacrifice my social life & family time.
    That is SPX.

Advice to Management

What use of giving advice where the management won't listen to it?

8. "Good luck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Didsbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Didsbury, England (UK)

I have been working at SPX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None- Seriously nothing what so ever .........................

Cons

Penny pinchers.
    Management does not care about you.

Advice to Management

pfft- Good luck

9. "no growth"

Former Employee - International Sales in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - International Sales in Miami, FL

Pros

big company with decent benefits

Cons

lack of future direction and internal growth

Advice to Management

get better sales people because people are being let go due to numbers

"Tough place to build a career"

Current Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Finance in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

The money was good. Other than that, not much good. The management team, from the senior level down was very short sighted regarding profits. Their philosophy was to raid the future to make the present look as good as possible. They strategy was to reduce the asset base to the point where return on assets was incredible. In doing so, there would be an asset base in place to support the future. Although, their philosophy was that the future was something to worry about tomorrow.

I will say that there was some talent in the company. Although, it was churned through fairly quickly.

Cons

See above. The short sighted view held by the management team. They would never focus on the future, just on the current quarter, Their belief seemed to be that employees were as disposable as operational supplies. The management team seemed to have somewhat of a Jack Welch complex. No matter what level the expenses were at, the belief was that you had to take cost out. At a certain point, I started to think that the best thing that they could do was to take 100% of the cost out of the system and everyone should go home. I think everyone would have been better off.

Advice to Management

Think beyond today. The sun will come up tomorrow.

"The jobs I performed I enjoyed but the poor management was a problem."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

Pros

The tasks and opportunites that I did receive were great. Generally the coworkers (and some of management) were very helpful and supportive. Safety was becoming a big consideration in decisions.

Cons

It was always a fight to expand my own abilities.
    Accountablity was not usually a part of the work envirnoment nor was there a level playing field.

Advice to Management

Pick a path and stick to it. Do not say you want something then do nothing to support it.