SRA International Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

2.5
Lawrence B. Prior III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

"Awesome first job experience!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. Mostly good mannered people, hard workers, and team players. I had a good network of managers and upper management that I worked with on a daily basis. I felt secure in my position, even when the client driven work ran out during certain parts of the year. Overall, I really enjoyed my team and the people I met working there.

There is also lots of room to grow at this company, which is a huge plus to anyone starting out. The Arlington offie had just been remodeled when I left. It looks like a google office which is a plus. Lots of window space for everyone. The Arlington office is also a great location.

Cons

During the years that I worked there, the company change a tremendous amount. While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company. Moral went down and so did the company funded breakfasts and happy hours. Many of the upper management folks that I looked up too and admired left as well. It seemed like the bottom line was becoming more important the employee moral, but they may be making changes to benefit the company over all.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, just listen to the needs of your employees and the everyone will want to work at SRA.

2. "It all depends on perspective. There is plenty of good, plenty of bad."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will add that my "Pros" are a matter of perspective. Over my 6+ years with SRA I was able to work closely with multiple division managers and VPs.
    - I came to SRA pretty good at the client execution part of what I did, and left with a whole new understanding of the business part of what my division/business unit did.
    - I worked for and with some amazing people at different times.
    - The client work was interesting, and I was in position to shape it significantly.

Cons

You have already seen it:
    - When SRA was taken private the benefits started eroding quickly. Very quickly.
    - When SRA merged with CSC to become CSRA there was a huge upheaval of high-level talent. While it is expected, it is also disheartening to lose a huge amount of your in-house professional network to lay-offs.
    - The CSRA merger actually hurt the legacy CSC people more than the SRA people in terms of leave/sick leave and things like that.
    - The physical office space has evolved towards an open office model. It has decimated productivity in the office, and now a huge number of people tele-work a large portion of the time - leaving the office to feel like a graveyard in many locations.

Advice to Management

I am not sure how to advise this one - there are plenty of incredibly talented, smart, and hardworking people left, but everbody I know there is actively looking to leave. There is no loyalty left in either direction - from the company or from the employees. That probably needs to be addressed in order to grow the company.

"Senior Member of the Professional Staff"

Former Employee - Member of the Senior Professional Staff in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Member of the Senior Professional Staff in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

--Competent co-workers.
    --Potential of interesting work.
    --Medium to good benefits.
    --Depending on the project, ability to telework.

Cons

--Lack of training unless you are on a project or project-to-be requiring the latest and greatest.
    --Unless one is well connected with Management, you will be hung out to dry when a project ends.
    --Employee's increasing share of health care premium.
    --Employee reviews were ridiculous, especially when upper Management provided guidelines as to what overall %s it wanted employees to fall into.

Advice to Management

--Stop bidding the proposals so low - putting employees out of work.
    --Allocate more funds for training employees.

4. "It's all about the people you work with"

Current Employee - Analytics/Data Visualization Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analytics/Data Visualization Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with some really great people.

Cons

While the people are great, they don't always have the necessary skills or motivation required for the position which leads to high turnover.

Advice to Management

Management should get more familiar with the positions they hire for so they can choose better suited candidates.

"Big Company, but Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time

Pros

SRA is a large company but the various departments have a small feel to them. Company is highly ethical and produces quality work. Upper management is good and has adapting to changing economic times in various ways that have been effective. (e.g., Benefits were severly cut back in last few and years but are still decent and probably competitive.)

Cons

SRA has a lot of trouble finding work for employees when contracts end. It is all contracting (mostly Federal government) and when a contract ends it is largely up to you to find your next contract. They have recently added new processes and tools to help with this but it still feels like you have to find your own job and you only have two weeks to do it and then you are out the door.

"It's a Man's World"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries for the chosen few.

Cons

It's an old boys network where being ex-military is the brass ring. If you are a civilian, you are going to be three times as good to even get noticed. Not a fun environment.

"Used to be better; good if you're desperate"

Former Employee - Master Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Master Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Wide variety of positions available when you initially apply
    - Proposal work available for those interested

Cons

- If you're in IT, expect your skills to atrophy. To prevent this, switch contracts every 1-2 years. Expect a culture shock when you switch as the corporate culture is inconsistently applied.
    - Expect to take firm charge of your career direction. Your immediate management has no motivation beyond altruism to want to do anything other than to keep billing your time to the client for as long as possible. In fact, they may humiliate you when you are forced to tell them you want to switch contracts.
    - Be on the lookout for external opportunities. Despite what you may be told, there is no bench at SRA. Two weeks without a charge code and you're out the door, despite your prior stellar performance or your length of service.
    - Save all emails from the client, copy management on everything you send to the client, journal every interaction with the client. CYA, CYA, CYA.
    - Benefits have been cut to the bone. Expect further cuts.
    - Watch as your smarter/better positioned/more motivated colleagues leave after less than two years. Emulate their example.

Advice to Management

- Improve retention by providing meaningful skills improvement and training opportunities that *you* pay for.
    - Improve retention by providing a softer landing in between assignments.
    - Rein in your program management and project management staff. Collect anonymous feedback from your individual contributors about their project leadership to ensure that corporate values are being upheld and employees are being treated well.
    - Investigate employee complaints seriously.
    - Be willing to stick up for the employees in front of hostile government staff.

"Not the company I signed up for"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, training, and HR Department in trying to find available positions.

Cons

When the contract ends HR does a great job of trying to place you but not much help from Managers.

Advice to Management

Help your workers in finding other positions.

"Management does not care about employees as much as they do about contractors"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary that is competitive with the best in the field

Cons

SRA management is really lacking in skills to care about their employees. They give more value to their contractors. Also moving between jobs in the same project is not allowed even if you are out of a job. They try to push you to find jobs using their pathways initiative but I don't think it exactly a successful program. The pathways executives try to push you to look for jobs outside the project even if you have openings within the same project. Don't join a company like this else you will feel dejected for the rest of the time you are working here. Wasted my career joining this company.

Advice to Management

You can value the contractors but not at the expense of your employees jobs and well being. Even the higher management do not care about this issue even after getting information on these practices.

"Depends on your project"

Former Employee - Training Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was reasonable and free travel was a nice incentive.

Cons

Benefits are expensive and not very comprehensive, no checks and balances of power, downsizing of PTO, commute, projects can be convoluted and intentionally derailed by team members, no OTJ training.

Advice to Management

Nobody wakes up in the morning to fail at their job. If you're hiring the attitude, then it's imperative to give employees opportunities to learn, develop and grow. Nobody wants to make mistakes or fail, but it's important to coach employees along the way so they are clear about their role and position. In my experience (can't speak for others) I was constantly being told to "figure it out" or ask someone else. My direct supervisor left me off meeting invites, was late to meetings or cancelled my training altogether at times, then my absence was used against me on my performance review. I doubt most people will have this experience, as each project is managed independently.