SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

2.9
Lawrence B. Prior III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

"Semi-Organized chaos"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect II in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect II in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technical expertise, genuinely good people. Excellent new hire orientation. Good salaries at my level, excellent internal IT resources (if you never worked with incompetents, you can't appreciate this). Very strong customer orientation.

Cons

Some senior staff have never worked anywhere other than SRA, and there is a strong "this is how we've always done it mentality".

Significant staff shortages led to constant fire fighting, being assigned a task and barely starting before being pulled to work on a crisis, then pulled from that to work a bigger crisis, ad-infinitum. I was generally scheduled at 150% of availability, and others I knew were in worse shape.

Near constant internal reorganization, as different business elements competed for budget.

Frequent assignments at remote local offices required extensive commuting, mostly just to be visible when working.

Acquisition/ merger with CSC Federal has probably exacerbated many of these problems, and added new ones.

Advice to Management

Spend the funds, and staff up to match growth plans. There is a significant penalty in quality and performance when employees are required to multi-task so much, so often.

2. "Great Growth and Development Opportunity"

Former Intern - Growth in Fairfax, VA
    Former Intern - Growth in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Bright coworkers from a variety of backgrounds
    -Variety of large contracts and projects to engage with if hired for specific technical skillset
    -Company genuinely cares about employee quality of life, growth, and development

Cons

When staffed on business capture team;
    -Pressure to generate as much new business as possible without time to focus on specific projects
    -Work can be repetitive when tasked with continual proposal writing efforts

Advice to Management

-Allow for more clear-cut paths for those staffed on business capture to grow and expand into other areas of the company. Bring together technical and business-facing teams for more frequent interactions to help focus on opportunities of specific benefit to the company's ongoing operations.

"Depends on your position"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good pay

Cons

Essentially in a salary freeze after merger with CSC, so don't expect a raise for next 4 years. No bench and lots of H1B employees - I think I may have been only US citiizen out of entire department I worked for, but this varies from contract to contract based on location and value.
    After merger with CSC, all my mentors and other senior advisors left, so not a good place for career unless you are entry level or just beyond.

Advice to Management

They are doing what they can to try and survive and address the longterm funding needs. I can't fault them for 4-year freeze, but they need to improve retention - but most left because of salary freeze.

4. "Not the worst defense contractor"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to move up, hard work is rewarded. Management is open to communication.

Cons

Too much work, too few people; but that's government contracting.

"overworked"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

The people were nice and the salary was competitive.

Cons

Had to work evenings and weekends.

"Caring corporate culture dissolved"

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International (Less than a year)

Pros

Salaries commensurate with the market. In my 10 year-plus tenure with SRA, my salary nearly doubled. In-house training opportunities, in addition to online training, were available most of the time. The career counseling and placement team known as "Pathways" was really good. The team worked very hard to help employees at end-of-assignment find new opportunities.

Cons

The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available.

Advice to Management

Remember that the people are the magic behind the services offered to customers. Treat them well and they will be loyal.

7. "Company Merged, no longer SRA"

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company, family oriented (work/life balance), good benefits, management listened and enjoyed getting suggestions/feedback on how to do things better.

Focused on promoting a healthy, active work environment.

Cons

Company merged, no longer SRA.

"Great while it lasted!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was a great company founded by a great man and run by a great team of people who valued their employees and their customers. I watched the company grow from 1200 to over 7000 employees. I watched the company go from private, to public, to private, to acquired.

Cons

Unfortunately, with something so great, others want a piece of it and try to duplicate the success but lack the heart to actually do it. Everything changes and now the company of SRA no longer exists. You may see the name out there, but its not the same as before.

Advice to Management

Thanks for a great experience. I wish all past leaders and employees all the best.

9. "Sr Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micro-management and employee investing

Cons

Some good old boy characteristics

10. "SRA"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly skilled employees are their asset. The company invests in their employees through training and premium workplace environments. Tight community.

Cons

It'll be great if the SRA Head Office culture could trickle down to the remote offices. lack of fitness or break-room facilities in the remote offices.

Advice to Management

The SRA leadership has done a phenomenal job in the past. With the recent merger, I hope this doesn't change