SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

1.0
Lawrence B. Prior III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• Internal mobility seemed to be quite difficult unless your own business unit had other opportunities to move you to (in 10 reviews)

"There is no company loyalty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Until my contract and background investigation with another company is complete, SRA pays me a salary.

Cons

Salaries are not in line with all other contracting firms. There remains bias and discrimination against women. SRA international demands loyalty from employees but provides none in return. Don't get a disabling disease and expect the company to do the right thing. You cost them money and they will find a way to get rid of you. In the 15 years I've worked at SRA I witnessed long time, ultra loyal employees become disabled with SRA providing no assistance to that employee who literally killed themselves on behalf of the company. Thousands of hours of overtime work, brutal hours and stress levels, all mean nothing to SRA management and bottom line profit and stock price. Employees should know this going into SRA and only give what is paid for and no more than that. Very unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Stop believing your own marketing. I am very involved in marketing and aware of the misleading images SRA projects -- to clients, employees, and the public. Profit drives everything.

"Still Second Rate Company"

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Professional Staff in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you need a job then SRA is a paycheck, albeit not much of one. Move on as most employees do.

Cons

Second rate company. The company has grown in size but not stature.

Advice to Management

Loyalty to employees?

3. "Favoritism reigns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some interesting work for those in Health or Civil agency IT services
    -Historically good reputation for customer service/values orientation
    -Good training/development (when funded by Division, not corporate)

Cons

-Lot of turnover in HR has led to hiring of inexperienced (i.e., underqual'd) HR directors who are poor leaders and poor decision-makers. Those of us in generalist roles feel like we're pulling all the weight to get the work done, and morale is terrible.
    -Corporate leadership changes its mind on important issues, frequently. Lots of work thrown out the window as a result; very frustrating.
    -Missing the team feeling in HR we had until a couple years ago.

Advice to Management

Rethink corporate versus division-level resources for HR, IT, Finance, etc. One size does not fit all. Let us have a voice without fearing the repercussion of losing our jobs. Alternative approaches and opinions are strongly discouraged in HR.

"It started out ok but got worse and worse."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I can't think of any at least not if you're working for HR and Recruiting

Cons

treated like a number and not valued especially by the HR team
    The majority of the recruiting leadership team has no recruiting experience and they keep introducing new programs that made our job harder

Advice to Management

Review your HR and recruiting leadership team and what they are doing and then compare that to what other companies are doing and I think you'll be surprised by how your own organization is making things worse

"body shop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mmmm....let me think.....run of the mill contract company, really I cannot think of anything outstanding for SRA.

Cons

They are reducing benefits at an accelerated pace. Arrogant and out-of-touch management and inept HR department. What a combination!

Advice to Management

What kind of advice can you give to a bunch of megalomaniacs who clearly do not care about their workforce? Go see a psychiatrist?

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA

Pros

There are none as a recruiter. If you are on a project that you like that might be ok.

Cons

I would not recommend working here as a recruiter

"Last Straw"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depends on the project that an employee works on. Feeling toward the company will rely heavily on feeling toward the middle management. I am on a project that is up for re-compete. I like the project so I hope SRA loses so I can join a better company and stay on the project.

Cons

The company has turned negatively from a consistent Forbes Top 100 company to a debt ridden defense contractor that is owned by an equity firm. The company is mostly has debt issues because the equity firm overpaid and the employees are taking the hit from these mistakes. Consistent benefits cuts over 3 years has made a lot of talent jump ship. The company is mostly a body shop at this point. Bid low, hope to win. If SRA wins, the senior leadership is awarded while the middle management is left to pick up the pieces from the poorly bid proposal effort.

Advice to Management

Providence Equity should sell the company to release SRA employees from their wrath. The current SRA CEO is just a puppet and SRA former great leadership (Ernst) appears to have no power anymore.

"What a great former company. Not the same AT ALL."

Former Employee - Senior Principal in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work opportunities. Chance to learn and grow. Work with good people on projects that make a difference. Decent salary and benefits.

Cons

This used to be such a great company. Now with so much of the focus of paying off the debt for going private cuts have been extreem. Also, this used to be a company that would reward the folks who helped the company grow. Now it is full of politics in terms of who you know and how they like you. Good solid work is no longer rewarded. I suspect SRA will pay off their debt off employee's backs and be sold to the highest bidder in the next few years. Not a place to build a career anymore.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Your people and groups are not in touch. Your new logo and slogan ring sour and hypocritical. Your senior most leaders are lying and act unethicaly. And SRA has no idea how close to the end of value it actually is. I am not sure anything can actually make it a "best place to work" anymore.

"A company in a death spiral"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A job at SRA is better than being unemployed.

Cons

Being sold to Providence Equity was the worst thing that could have happened to SRA employees. Many other reviews tell the story about cut benefits, so there's no need to repeat those. The capability centers are a joke. Their leaders are new to the company, have no idea about who has what skills and where they are located in the company. They have no idea about past performance and have no idea who does know. Dissolving the horizontal specialty practices has been a disaster. The specialty practices used to manage their staffs and projects managers could go to practice management for help staffing surge or part-time requirements. Now, project managers can't staff or deliver surge, short or part-time projects.

Overhead no longer exists. You can't even get $1,000 for tools or training. SRA is hemorrhaging experienced staff and managers. Bill Ballhaus has surrounded himself with a bunch of sycophants who are out of touch with their teams and reality. The company has lost recompetes and hasn't won much in the way of new business. While management boasts about the IDIQ or BPA contract wins, the company has won few, if any, task orders under those IDIQs or BPAs. SRA recently received a stop work order on a large (100+ staff) contract because of delivery issues.

Long term employees at all level are demoralized. While the company publishes the percentage of voluntary terminations (one or two percent above competitors), they are afraid to publish the number of people who are laid-off.

The company used to pride itself on hiring people for a career, not a contract. Now it's a lousy body shop. It's really upsetting to see what has happened to a once great company.

Advice to Management

Sell the company as quickly as possible since Humpty Dumpty can't be put back together. Quit filling your pockets with bonuses while you cut benefits and give miniscule raises. Stop telling lies to employees by saying that what you're doing to the employees is happening at all of your competitors.

"All Talk and No Action"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many good people still working for SRA, but not in senior leadership has to go. They are pompous and arrogant and too much in love with themselves.

Cons

Company President Bill Ballhaus does lots of talking, but has no history of success. He has led BEA Systems, then Dyncorp and both companies suffered financially under his leadership. No growth and many jobs lost.

The motto "Honesty and Service" is a joke. Dishonesty permeates throughout SRA leadership.

Planning on leaving soon ... cant take it anymore

Advice to Management

Replace Bill Ballhaus and the entire top-level SRA leadership