SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

Fairfax, VA

Lawrence B. Prior III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

"Semi-Organized chaos"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect II in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect II in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technical expertise, genuinely good people. Excellent new hire orientation. Good salaries at my level, excellent internal IT resources (if you never worked with incompetents, you can't appreciate this). Very strong customer orientation.

Cons

Some senior staff have never worked anywhere other than SRA, and there is a strong "this is how we've always done it mentality".

Significant staff shortages led to constant fire fighting, being assigned a task and barely starting before being pulled to work on a crisis, then pulled from that to work a bigger crisis, ad-infinitum. I was generally scheduled at 150% of availability, and others I knew were in worse shape.

Near constant internal reorganization, as different business elements competed for budget.

Frequent assignments at remote local offices required extensive commuting, mostly just to be visible when working.

Acquisition/ merger with CSC Federal has probably exacerbated many of these problems, and added new ones.

Advice to Management

Spend the funds, and staff up to match growth plans. There is a significant penalty in quality and performance when employees are required to multi-task so much, so often.

"overworked"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

The people were nice and the salary was competitive.

Cons

Had to work evenings and weekends.

3. "Sr Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micro-management and employee investing

Cons

Some good old boy characteristics

4. "Subcontracts Admin"

Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Friendly environment.

Cons

Lack of staff within the department. Over worked and work long hours. Lack of communication within management.

5. "Good Company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Good benefits and good mid level management.

Cons

Even you are full time employee your job is project based.

6. "Okay place if you need a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International (Less than a year)

Pros

I do not have many positive things to say about the company.

Cons

TERRIBLE benefits, and minimal leave. Poor management leading projects. It's an all around mess.

Advice to Management

Give your employees better benefits and practice what you preach. Start taking complaints seriously and getting rid of managers causing the issues.

7. "OK but depends on the project"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I have not worked there for three years but my experience was like this: pretty good place to work for but it really depends on your project. You can be on a good project with pleasant co-workers (mostly). If you find a good manager, try to stick with them.

They used to have offices for everyone and I thought that was a great benefit when I started working. I heard they are moving and it's going to be all cubicles.

I like the annual company party. Don't know if they still have those. They also used to have a family day, which might be fun depending on the venue.

Cons

If you are stuck on a bad project, you may encounter horrible managers or fellow co-workers that do not seem to care for one another. It can be really, really bad and you might be involved with too much "process" that impedes your work. I have heard they are having a lot of benefits reductions. The "family" part of SRA is going away or is gone by now, I am guessing.

When I was there, internal mobility was just HORRIBLE. Very difficult to move to another job in the company. Then there is always the salary requirements for each new project. Let's say you make X amount of dollars and stay loyal for many years. When you try to switch to another project, they may not "afford you". Is this how they treat employee loyalty?

Never was offered a chance to telecommute, even for once a week. Shouldn't that be more acceptable these days?

Advice to Management

Probably heard this many times, but it's often the middle management that needs to be shaped up or trimmed. Met some pretty bad managers there. It's the front line workers that deserve more credit.

8. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience. Nice people

Cons

Over the last three years they have severely curtailed benefits. If you are not involved in IT, (such as you are in an program or policy support/analyst position) there is no chance for advancement or even decent professional development.

9. "Fading Player"

Current Employee - Master Cyber Security Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Master Cyber Security Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still good people working here. Some good contracts to work on.

Cons

Benefits continue to be cut. Leave was cut a couple of years ago. Health insurance options were increased but company match has been frozen so employee costs are rising. Company not winning as many contracts so there's not always another project to roll onto when current one is up.

Advice to Management

Remember that people are your prime resource. Treat them well, including benefits, and be up front with them.

"Looking to better position for a successful future in a competitve market, a company in the midst of shifting priorities"

Current Employee - Growth Division in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Growth Division in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall culture encourages learning, career advancement, mentorship, and personal growth. Senior level management is accessible/transparent, major company decisions are communicated openly with ample opportunity for employee engagement/discussion. New benefits program is very customizable and cost efficient. Vacation/PTO policy very flexible. Company that clearly cares about its employees.

Cons

From external rebranding to new internal mobility initiatives to a new benefits program to an upcoming headquarters move to Chantilly, the company is clearly refocusing its corporate priorities. For better or worse, it's still too early to tell. While employees are overall friendly/approachable, company divisions feel very insulated from each other (not many opportunities for cross-division or cross-project engagement).

Advice to Management

While evolution is necessary, it's feeling a bit like corporate has gotten swept up in the winds of change by implementing a whole slew of new initiatives all at once without taking time to see whether the resulting effects are positive or negative.