SRA International Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

SRA International Fairfax Reviews

Updated January 25, 2017

Fairfax, VA

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

1. "OK but depends on the project"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I have not worked there for three years but my experience was like this: pretty good place to work for but it really depends on your project. You can be on a good project with pleasant co-workers (mostly). If you find a good manager, try to stick with them.

They used to have offices for everyone and I thought that was a great benefit when I started working. I heard they are moving and it's going to be all cubicles.

I like the annual company party. Don't know if they still have those. They also used to have a family day, which might be fun depending on the venue.

Cons

If you are stuck on a bad project, you may encounter horrible managers or fellow co-workers that do not seem to care for one another. It can be really, really bad and you might be involved with too much "process" that impedes your work. I have heard they are having a lot of benefits reductions. The "family" part of SRA is going away or is gone by now, I am guessing.

When I was there, internal mobility was just HORRIBLE. Very difficult to move to another job in the company. Then there is always the salary requirements for each new project. Let's say you make X amount of dollars and stay loyal for many years. When you try to switch to another project, they may not "afford you". Is this how they treat employee loyalty?

Never was offered a chance to telecommute, even for once a week. Shouldn't that be more acceptable these days?

Advice to Management

Probably heard this many times, but it's often the middle management that needs to be shaped up or trimmed. Met some pretty bad managers there. It's the front line workers that deserve more credit.

"Incompetent and Low Talent"

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were trying to create new programs and processes to help employees in their day to day administrative and company tasks. Unfortunately...

Cons

Lack of top talent contributed to a complete mess. All valuable employees with an ounce of actual intelligence are running from the company in droves, leaving only incompetence. It's massively unorganized, based completely on some convoluted hierarchy, and you can't really get ahead in the company unless you are sucking up to some higher up.

Unstable with cuts to pay and benefits.

Advice to Management

We don't need political figures--stop spouting complete lies and actually do something.

3. "Senior Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience. Nice people

Cons

Over the last three years they have severely curtailed benefits. If you are not involved in IT, (such as you are in an program or policy support/analyst position) there is no chance for advancement or even decent professional development.

4. "It All Depends on Your Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SRA has some of the better benefits for the contracting sector. 8 week paid maternity leave regardless of delivery method (amen), 401(k) matching, floating holidays. Relatively basic stuff. But the structure exists to allow good managers to properly take care of their employees. I was able to take a leave of absence and come back as a part time employee after having given birth to my third child. The whole team has been wonderfully supportive and the HR department was very helpful. When our contract ended, the internal jobs team has gone out of its way to find new employment for me and my team. Overall very pleased with the company.

Cons

Downsides are the same as all in the federal contracting industry. No fault of SRA's.

5. "Favoritism reigns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Some interesting work for those in Health or Civil agency IT services
    -Historically good reputation for customer service/values orientation
    -Good training/development (when funded by Division, not corporate)

Cons

-Lot of turnover in HR has led to hiring of inexperienced (i.e., underqual'd) HR directors who are poor leaders and poor decision-makers. Those of us in generalist roles feel like we're pulling all the weight to get the work done, and morale is terrible.
    -Corporate leadership changes its mind on important issues, frequently. Lots of work thrown out the window as a result; very frustrating.
    -Missing the team feeling in HR we had until a couple years ago.

Advice to Management

Rethink corporate versus division-level resources for HR, IT, Finance, etc. One size does not fit all. Let us have a voice without fearing the repercussion of losing our jobs. Alternative approaches and opinions are strongly discouraged in HR.

"It started out ok but got worse and worse."

Former Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I can't think of any at least not if you're working for HR and Recruiting

Cons

treated like a number and not valued especially by the HR team
    The majority of the recruiting leadership team has no recruiting experience and they keep introducing new programs that made our job harder

Advice to Management

Review your HR and recruiting leadership team and what they are doing and then compare that to what other companies are doing and I think you'll be surprised by how your own organization is making things worse

"Fun while it lasted"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family oriented atmosphere, great PMs, flex time, great for balancing work/home life.

Cons

No loyalty for seniority/longevity with the company. When employees that had been with. the company for 15-20 years started leaving/were laid off, the writing was on the wall.

Advice to Management

You let your best people go that have been with the company for over a decade. As a result you lost amazing talent and angered your customer as a result, just to save a buck. Time to rethink priorities.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International (More than a year)

Pros

SRA provides a great work life balance

Cons

The benefits offered by SRA could be better

9. "Telecommunications Specialist"

Former Employee - Telecommunications Specialist in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Telecommunications Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very Professional organization that encourages and supports career education.
    Goes to great extent to find new contracts to keep its employees working in their field.

Cons

Once employees reach a certain compensation level, it is difficult to find new contracts that can support their level of payment.

Advice to Management

Start a retraining program to prepare employees to meet requirements for proposed projects.

10. "Fading Player"

Current Employee - Master Cyber Security Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Master Cyber Security Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still good people working here. Some good contracts to work on.

Cons

Benefits continue to be cut. Leave was cut a couple of years ago. Health insurance options were increased but company match has been frozen so employee costs are rising. Company not winning as many contracts so there's not always another project to roll onto when current one is up.

Advice to Management

Remember that people are your prime resource. Treat them well, including benefits, and be up front with them.