SRA International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Lawrence B. Prior III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

1. "Meat Market - Pork, Beef, Poultry, or Fish?"

Former Employee - Security Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Security Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are quite big and everywhere now. They have gone from a small little office in Fair Lakes Va. to a major megaladon power house around the beltway. There is some amount of there,,, there I guess.

Cons

As the title states, you are reasonably accepted if you are on a task and billing with no issues. However, if you are on a task that needs anything but clocking in to work like hard decisions, or bad subs or anything out of the norm, then you are in for trouble with this company. Under those circumstances, they grow cold quick and you are on your own. There is no empathy, no support no plans to upright you, no team of fixers to surround you in support when the subs rebel.

Advice to Management

Make SRA and teh contracting life in general less of a meat market feeling. Dont hire people who have no office home, desk or form communication other than their government office. Don't leave people feeling like machines that are supposed to just figure out a way to navigate when a contract ends. Don't come in an hire former contractors from you competitors and expect good warm team experiences.

2. "Senior Document Control Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Document Control Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Document Control Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International (More than a year)

Pros

Good team to work for, good working hours, and pay, excellent management team● Write, review, or execute plans for testing new or established document management systems

Cons

I don't know any cons to this company

"Top Heavy Meat shop"

I have been working at SRA International full-time

Pros

acquiring federal contracts like collecting sea shells at the beatch.
    CSRA tends to leave you alone with the contracted customer.

Cons

Since SRA merged with CSC management has been even less concerned with their employees than they had before, which was pretty minimal.
    They've started playing games with reviews and salaries by perpetually delaying review time by 6 months, two years in a row now. Increases are niggardly and only give bonuses as a stop-gap retention.
    There seems to be a recent practice of promoting people to line and middle management who have absolutely no experience and less skill at managing, to backfill experienced staff leaving.

Advice to Management

lose the excessive top management and get real with your service delivery. Skilled employees make you money, not stuffed suits who do nothing but re-forward company wide emails.

"Depends on your position"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good pay

Cons

Essentially in a salary freeze after merger with CSC, so don't expect a raise for next 4 years. No bench and lots of H1B employees - I think I may have been only US citiizen out of entire department I worked for, but this varies from contract to contract based on location and value.
    After merger with CSC, all my mentors and other senior advisors left, so not a good place for career unless you are entry level or just beyond.

Advice to Management

They are doing what they can to try and survive and address the longterm funding needs. I can't fault them for 4-year freeze, but they need to improve retention - but most left because of salary freeze.

5. "It all depends on perspective. There is plenty of good, plenty of bad."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will add that my "Pros" are a matter of perspective. Over my 6+ years with SRA I was able to work closely with multiple division managers and VPs.
    - I came to SRA pretty good at the client execution part of what I did, and left with a whole new understanding of the business part of what my division/business unit did.
    - I worked for and with some amazing people at different times.
    - The client work was interesting, and I was in position to shape it significantly.

Cons

You have already seen it:
    - When SRA was taken private the benefits started eroding quickly. Very quickly.
    - When SRA merged with CSC to become CSRA there was a huge upheaval of high-level talent. While it is expected, it is also disheartening to lose a huge amount of your in-house professional network to lay-offs.
    - The CSRA merger actually hurt the legacy CSC people more than the SRA people in terms of leave/sick leave and things like that.
    - The physical office space has evolved towards an open office model. It has decimated productivity in the office, and now a huge number of people tele-work a large portion of the time - leaving the office to feel like a graveyard in many locations.

Advice to Management

I am not sure how to advise this one - there are plenty of incredibly talented, smart, and hardworking people left, but everbody I know there is actively looking to leave. There is no loyalty left in either direction - from the company or from the employees. That probably needs to be addressed in order to grow the company.

"Good luck to those left behind"

Pros

Great coworkers. Great IT support.

Cons

Hard work, a great track record, and many years of service don't mean a thing. Management is spread so thin they barely have time to do their own job, much less worry about helping you stay employed within the company. While my supervisor swore he'd done everything he could to help find me a position within the company, it was somebody else who alerted me to a position I was qualified for. CSRA might talk a good game, but they don't follow through.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees solely as a means to profit. In eight years of working with CSRA, I never met my supervisor or anyone else in management. Why talk about the "CSRA FAMILY" when you don't even care enough to meet the employees? Or at least be honest. I was no more than a name and a number.

"Under new management ..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Project located in Hawaii, good team, interesting work

Cons

Management treats FT employees like contractors. Layoffs after the project is over. Does not feel like they care to build a team.

Advice to Management

Take a note.

"Senior Member of the Professional Staff"

Former Employee - Member of the Senior Professional Staff in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Member of the Senior Professional Staff in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

--Competent co-workers.
    --Potential of interesting work.
    --Medium to good benefits.
    --Depending on the project, ability to telework.

Cons

--Lack of training unless you are on a project or project-to-be requiring the latest and greatest.
    --Unless one is well connected with Management, you will be hung out to dry when a project ends.
    --Employee's increasing share of health care premium.
    --Employee reviews were ridiculous, especially when upper Management provided guidelines as to what overall %s it wanted employees to fall into.

Advice to Management

--Stop bidding the proposals so low - putting employees out of work.
    --Allocate more funds for training employees.

"They talk a big game, but fail to deliver."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most program managers are good to work for and actually do try to help you improve and further your career.

Cons

Management above the program manager don't care about much other than their pay check and their position within the company. Good luck getting much of anything from them, unless there is a threat of losing the contract. Management talks a lot about engaging their employees, especially those that are working off campus, at client sites, but consistently drop the ball.

There is also a lack of career growth or opportunity for lateral movement if your contract ends. The may tell you that they will find work for you within the company, they may even offer to loan you a few vacation days, but in the end, no one comes through with much of anything real.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Engage with your employees. At the very least, respond to employee phone calls and emails. If anything, just acknowledge that you received it even if you don't provide answers to questions asked. That would at least be a start.

"Not the company it used to be."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SRA International (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a good wellness program and telecommuting options.

Cons

Unstable company with lots of change especially with the merger with CSC gov. Most
    fringe benefits have been lost. Employee morale is down.