SRA International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Lawrence B. Prior III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• Internal mobility seemed to be quite difficult unless your own business unit had other opportunities to move you to (in 10 reviews)

1. "Management Consultant"

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

Good people. Very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Unpredictable. Need to ensure that the contract will last.

Advice to Management

Well done, but need to keep contracts to retain quality people.

2. "Great place to work!"

Pros

A challenging place to work; but, training and other resources are provided to ensure success.

Cons

Instability that comes with defense contract work.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the folks in the trenches, banging out the "1s" and "0s", doing the analysis, managing the projects--they're a smart bunch!

3. "A sold okay.."

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

Good team environment, good work life balance

Cons

Difficult time shifting across accounts, compensation below market value

Advice to Management

determine your value proposition to the market and build a strong employer brand to remain competitive

4. "Great Leadership"

Pros

Project Manager was very smart and articulate. Great group of smart engineers and support staff.

Cons

Brown bag lunch meeting. I hated it.

5. "Jr. Analyst"

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, helpful, and willing to put in the energy for you to grow in your career.

Cons

Pay is average for fresh out of college, but again lots of room to grow.

"Meat Market - Pork, Beef, Poultry, or Fish?"

Former Employee - Security Engineer in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Security Engineer in Falls Church, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are quite big and everywhere now. They have gone from a small little office in Fair Lakes Va. to a major megaladon power house around the beltway. There is some amount of there,,, there I guess.

Cons

As the title states, you are reasonably accepted if you are on a task and billing with no issues. However, if you are on a task that needs anything but clocking in to work like hard decisions, or bad subs or anything out of the norm, then you are in for trouble with this company. Under those circumstances, they grow cold quick and you are on your own. There is no empathy, no support no plans to upright you, no team of fixers to surround you in support when the subs rebel.

Advice to Management

Make SRA and teh contracting life in general less of a meat market feeling. Dont hire people who have no office home, desk or form communication other than their government office. Don't leave people feeling like machines that are supposed to just figure out a way to navigate when a contract ends. Don't come in an hire former contractors from you competitors and expect good warm team experiences.

"Worst company I've ever worked for."

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were some good people. They were some people that were just butts in seats to bill the government.

Cons

Absolute and total disregard for their employees. No career there, no trust and no appreciation.

8. "SAS Analyst"

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

Great work environment, fast paced but manager was willing to help out with technical issues when necessary.

Cons

The company was contract based for the CDC, so the work would often be staggered where we had periods that were very busy while others there was little work to do.

Advice to Management

Spread the contract work across a larger group of employees to conserve an even work-flow.

"Semi-Organized chaos"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect II in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect II in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good technical expertise, genuinely good people. Excellent new hire orientation. Good salaries at my level, excellent internal IT resources (if you never worked with incompetents, you can't appreciate this). Very strong customer orientation.

Cons

Some senior staff have never worked anywhere other than SRA, and there is a strong "this is how we've always done it mentality".

Significant staff shortages led to constant fire fighting, being assigned a task and barely starting before being pulled to work on a crisis, then pulled from that to work a bigger crisis, ad-infinitum. I was generally scheduled at 150% of availability, and others I knew were in worse shape.

Near constant internal reorganization, as different business elements competed for budget.

Frequent assignments at remote local offices required extensive commuting, mostly just to be visible when working.

Acquisition/ merger with CSC Federal has probably exacerbated many of these problems, and added new ones.

Advice to Management

Spend the funds, and staff up to match growth plans. There is a significant penalty in quality and performance when employees are required to multi-task so much, so often.

"Principal System Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

Well compensated, flexible hours, training opportunities, great co-workers

Cons

monchromatic leadership, failing business model, business developers should not have oversight of existing business

Advice to Management

Encourage participation from broader spectrum of employees, Keep a line of separation between Business Developers seeking new business and Oversight of existing business, the reason for this is simple, these professionals should be evaluated on their merits to attract new business, not retool and descope existing contracts to offset their losses.