SRA International Reviews | Glassdoor

SRA International Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Global Privacy Officer in Alexandria, VA

I worked at SRA International (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great company.

Cons

Merged with another company in 2016 and has changed significantly.

Advice to Management

Care about your people, they matter

2. "Research Specialist"

Former Employee - Research Specialist III/Occupational Safety Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at SRA International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company offers a good benefits package. Well run organization with solid branding. Seem to care about their employees health and well being. Had an interest in employee development including education support and career advancement. Competitive salary and 401k.

Cons

Not always able to properly identify and place individuals in proper skill categories on level of effort contracts from my particular experience. Might have just been a lack of knowledge on the part of onsite management.

"Depends on your position"

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and good pay

Cons

Essentially in a salary freeze after merger with CSC, so don't expect a raise for next 4 years. No bench and lots of H1B employees - I think I may have been only US citiizen out of entire department I worked for, but this varies from contract to contract based on location and value.
    After merger with CSC, all my mentors and other senior advisors left, so not a good place for career unless you are entry level or just beyond.

Advice to Management

They are doing what they can to try and survive and address the longterm funding needs. I can't fault them for 4-year freeze, but they need to improve retention - but most left because of salary freeze.

5. "Wishing for a contract outside of DC"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Professor Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Professor Staff in Washington, DC

Pros

Used to have lots of good training. I recommend the PMP training. If you can get the training, then the position is worth it.

Cons

Mostly military contracts and mostly in DC area. If you don't have top secret clearance, then look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Well, before you were merged with the other company, I would say to look for contracts outside of Washington DC and the beltway. Now, you can do what you want.

"Awesome first job experience!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were great. Mostly good mannered people, hard workers, and team players. I had a good network of managers and upper management that I worked with on a daily basis. I felt secure in my position, even when the client driven work ran out during certain parts of the year. Overall, I really enjoyed my team and the people I met working there.

There is also lots of room to grow at this company, which is a huge plus to anyone starting out. The Arlington offie had just been remodeled when I left. It looks like a google office which is a plus. Lots of window space for everyone. The Arlington office is also a great location.

Cons

During the years that I worked there, the company change a tremendous amount. While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company. Moral went down and so did the company funded breakfasts and happy hours. Many of the upper management folks that I looked up too and admired left as well. It seemed like the bottom line was becoming more important the employee moral, but they may be making changes to benefit the company over all.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, just listen to the needs of your employees and the everyone will want to work at SRA.

7. "It all depends on perspective. There is plenty of good, plenty of bad."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will add that my "Pros" are a matter of perspective. Over my 6+ years with SRA I was able to work closely with multiple division managers and VPs.
    - I came to SRA pretty good at the client execution part of what I did, and left with a whole new understanding of the business part of what my division/business unit did.
    - I worked for and with some amazing people at different times.
    - The client work was interesting, and I was in position to shape it significantly.

Cons

You have already seen it:
    - When SRA was taken private the benefits started eroding quickly. Very quickly.
    - When SRA merged with CSC to become CSRA there was a huge upheaval of high-level talent. While it is expected, it is also disheartening to lose a huge amount of your in-house professional network to lay-offs.
    - The CSRA merger actually hurt the legacy CSC people more than the SRA people in terms of leave/sick leave and things like that.
    - The physical office space has evolved towards an open office model. It has decimated productivity in the office, and now a huge number of people tele-work a large portion of the time - leaving the office to feel like a graveyard in many locations.

Advice to Management

I am not sure how to advise this one - there are plenty of incredibly talented, smart, and hardworking people left, but everbody I know there is actively looking to leave. There is no loyalty left in either direction - from the company or from the employees. That probably needs to be addressed in order to grow the company.

8. "Not the worst defense contractor"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to move up, hard work is rewarded. Management is open to communication.

Cons

Too much work, too few people; but that's government contracting.

9. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Director, Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director, Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Structure
    Diversity
    Path to Senior Leadership
    Multiple opportunities for training and seminars

Cons

Some stovepiped opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Increase Communication

"Under new management ..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Project located in Hawaii, good team, interesting work

Cons

Management treats FT employees like contractors. Layoffs after the project is over. Does not feel like they care to build a team.

Advice to Management

Take a note.

"overworked"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at SRA International full-time

Pros

The people were nice and the salary was competitive.

Cons

Had to work evenings and weekends.