SRA International Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lawrence B. Prior III

Pros
Cons
  • While I still loved the people that I worked closely with, upper management change which led to not so great changes within the company (in 24 reviews)

• The company was not well prepared for the merger with CSCGov and many of the positive features of SRA are no longer available (in 18 reviews)

1. "A Caring Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company gives employees the opportunities and necessary incentives to succeed. It places emphasis on skills while encouraging and assisting employees to sharpen their skills.

Cons

I cannot in good faith think of an important one.

Advice to Management

I will recommend the company to both rookies and seasoned veterans.

2. "Senior Document Control Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Document Control Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Document Control Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International (More than a year)

Pros

Good team to work for, good working hours, and pay, excellent management team● Write, review, or execute plans for testing new or established document management systems

Cons

I don't know any cons to this company

3. "Wishing for a contract outside of DC"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Professor Staff in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Professor Staff in Washington, DC

Pros

Used to have lots of good training. I recommend the PMP training. If you can get the training, then the position is worth it.

Cons

Mostly military contracts and mostly in DC area. If you don't have top secret clearance, then look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Well, before you were merged with the other company, I would say to look for contracts outside of Washington DC and the beltway. Now, you can do what you want.

4. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Director, Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director, Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Structure
    Diversity
    Path to Senior Leadership
    Multiple opportunities for training and seminars

Cons

Some stovepiped opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Increase Communication

"CSRA Retention Crisis - Ignore Pre-2016 Legacy SRA Reviews, No Longer Accurate"

Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The paycheck still clears. Good "stepping stone" job to get your foot in the industry. But as the title states, most of the positives about working for legacy SRA have disappeared with the inception of CSRA.

Cons

This company was going downhill on a snow sled for the past 5+ years or so, from what I heard from coworkers who have been with the company 10+ years. No pay raises for years now. If work-site is closed (snow days, etc) employees must use their Personal Time Off (PTO) hours. No sick leave. If you get sick, or have recurring medical appointments, you will not be taking a vacation this year, because you must use PTO. Pay and benefits have been in a downward trend for years now, but the drop became steep once SRA became CSRA. Pay for new hires and existing employees who by some chance are promoted to a higher pay-grade has decreased approximately 20% just since last year. The new company does not care at all about retaining quality personnel who have more than the bare minimum of education and experience, or who perform their duties above average. Employees are disposable, and CSRA does not reward loyalty. If you are just graduating college, this is a good company to get your foot in the industry door and move on after a year or so, but this is not a company to work for long term. Benefits and especially pay are below industry standards; salary is about 20% lower than even legacy SRA salaries. CEO Larry Prior stated in one of his all-hands meetings "We had to make some difficult decisions" in response to a question asking why pay and benefits were cut. Every one of these decisions has negatively impacted employees. CSRA is cannibalizing employee pay and benefits to artificially boost profit margins to make the company look more profitable on paper, and it is not a sustainable or rational business model. In the long term, this strategy is going to make the company implode. Right now, we are at the beginning of a recruitment and retention crisis. EVERYONE in my office is actively job hunting.

Advice to Management

Stop cannibalizing employee pay and benefits!

6. "Better Than Most"

Current Employee - Expert, Cyberarchitecture in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Expert, Cyberarchitecture in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SRA is a better company than most companies I've worked for. The benefits are very good and their career development opportunities are good as well.

Cons

If you like personalized attention you might not get any because it is rather a big company.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High quality company, enjoy the people and management

Cons

Uncertainty as the merger with CSC continues

Advice to Management

Try to retain the positive aspects of SRA culture

8. "Nice place to work."

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at SRA International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Several positions are always available for career growth. I worked with your managers throughout my career to proceed and I was very successful.

Cons

Career progression is possible but you need to have a strong internal network to proceed. So if you're new to the company, it's a longer process to promotion but it's still possible.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on the internal hiring process, faster reviews and feedback to the submitter in a timely manner.

"They talk a big game, but fail to deliver."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at SRA International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most program managers are good to work for and actually do try to help you improve and further your career.

Cons

Management above the program manager don't care about much other than their pay check and their position within the company. Good luck getting much of anything from them, unless there is a threat of losing the contract. Management talks a lot about engaging their employees, especially those that are working off campus, at client sites, but consistently drop the ball.

There is also a lack of career growth or opportunity for lateral movement if your contract ends. The may tell you that they will find work for you within the company, they may even offer to loan you a few vacation days, but in the end, no one comes through with much of anything real.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Engage with your employees. At the very least, respond to employee phone calls and emails. If anything, just acknowledge that you received it even if you don't provide answers to questions asked. That would at least be a start.

"Keep Looking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

coworkers are dedicated and hardworking, schedule is very flexible and can work at home or go into office. provide updated computer every three years and may provide phones for some employees.

Cons

Too much to mention. There are mostly cons, management is concerned about themselves and their goals and those who agree with anything they say. no trust.

Advice to Management

appreciate your employees. Be honest.