SS&C Fund Accountant Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
SS&C Chairman and CEO Bill Stone
Bill Stone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life Balance and Career Opportunities (in 20 reviews)

• Casual dress code, laptop to work from home (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Hard to tell what upper management is doing (in 26 reviews)

"They start you at a very low salary"

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

opportunity to grow...
    good work enviroment

Cons

low salaries compared to the industry

"Looks good on a resume, if you can tolerate it."

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is that SS&C looks good on a resume and will likely land you a pretty good exit opportunity. Put in a year or two and you will have plenty of recruiters contacting you through LinkedIn with job offers. The benefits are okay at best, and you usually have a good work/life balance aside from month/quarter/year end.

PTO is decent (15 days your first year, 20 your second), working from home is usually okay (depends on your manager), casual dress code is nice and the free bagels are the only reason I don't just work from home on Fridays.

Cons

There is absolutely no corporate culture here. Very high turnover and very inept management. After working here for almost 2 years, there is no clear structure or growth plan for employees which is why most people tend to burn out.

Compensation is a joke here and easily 10%+ less than similar companies. Bonuses are almost non-existent and if you do get one they tend to essentially be an extra paycheck's worth at most.

My advice to you is to use this company as a stepping stone and find something better after a year or two. It looks great on a resume. Don't be an overachiever, you will only burn yourself out quicker and the extra work will go unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation towards your employees and recognize the work they do for you. Work with them to put together a career development plan so employees can understand what they need to do to get a promotion and areas they can improve on. The review process here leaves a lot to be desired.

Replacing Bill Stone as CEO would be a wonderful place to start. A certified alcoholic who has a very hard time understanding how to run a company.

"You will learn a lot, but will also work ALOT!"

Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SS&C provides a tremendous challenging learning opportunity. Overall, management at all levels is approachable. Additionally, wearing casual attire everyday makes the long hours more comfortable.

Cons

There is a lack of work/life balance. Additionally,with all the hours put in, management still requires you to show up on time after a 16 hour day. You will be a machine. It is all about the client.

Advice to Management

- More people need to be hired in order to retain talent

"Private Equity Fund Accountant"

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Evansville, IN

Pros

The company has excellent technology, controls, a vast amount of resources and many knowledgeable professionals. I had the opportunity to work with various departments and different types of clients. It was great exposure and experience.

Cons

SS&C starts you out at a salary that is so low that it is almost insulting and tries to keep you at that level for as long as you will tolerate it. The difference between the best and worst employees "performance based" bonuses and raises is marginal at best. I honestly would have stayed with the company longer if they paid a decent salary. I enjoyed the team I worked with but ultimately struggled to support a comfortable lifestyle. I was very close to a promotion when I chose to make a lateral move to another company, which should say a lot about the culture there.

Advice to Management

Identify the employees that really could have a bright future with the company and take care of them. I cannot imagine how much resources the company spends hiring and training new employees because turnover is through the roof.

"Fund accountant"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dress casual and bagel Friday
    Paid time off 15 days first year, 20 after
    Match 50% of what you put in 401k

Cons

Processing, very boring, will learn nothing useful
    Salary raises are crap
    Stay away, any job is better then this one

"ONLY WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE"

Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There isn't one pro to working here. Maybe experience but that's not even worth it.

Cons

Management has no appreciation for any of its employees. You're expected to work long hours and weekends with no extra pay or incentive. The pay is also horrible. DO NOT WORK HERE. You're better off working at place with minimum wage and OT like McDonalds, at least they appreciate their employees. There is not one person that likes working here.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and communicate with them.

"Growing company inflicts growing pain to their working accountants"

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at SS&C full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will have chance to be exposed to multiple clients.

Cons

The working hour is very bad. If you care about work life balance, it is not a place for you. The firm uses TNR software which is similar to Investran etc, but way less user friendly. A simple journal entry or report can get you nuts. Some team leaders treat their accountants nicely, some treat subordinates like a slave.

"Finally got out of here!"

Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in Irving, TX

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good tuition reimbursement and 401k.

Cons

Deeply low pay compared to the market rate or other fund administrators. Too much office politics played by the long-term Chinese female co-worker. Director levels do not have much experience in Fund accounting since he did not have a degree in Accounting. Instead he's super good at bs with the clients. He is always wearing earphones jacked to his ipad or iphone and yelled while watching football games

Advice to Management

Fire this Director guy asap so that other staff can respect the company.

"Jack of all trades...master of none"

Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in New York, NY

Pros

Flexibility...but not because they want to provide it...because they are so under staffed I can do what I want and they won't fire me. I reached a point where I take my liberties when I need to and as long as I get my work done management does not seem to care.

Cons

Managements attitude is appalling. It's clear mid level managers themselves would rather be elsewhere but are trapped. No body cares so I stopped caring. I'll be the clients care...

Employees (fund accountants...not sales) are out right threatened to get clients to complete quarterly CRM survey "or else"...."you don't want to be on this list". I'm going to laugh when they get sued for harassment.

Despite having an internal organizational system the company has put little effort into truly getting all divisions on-boarded. The word "user friendly" is oddly not in their vocabulary despite being an IT software firm. At SS&C you have to figure everything out for yourself, which I guess is one way to do it, but I'm pretty sure every other company and academic institution already has proved its the most inefficient way possible. Funny this company whose sole focus is increased profits does not understand this and oddly thinks they are saving money in the end.

Advice to Management

The full expression is "Jack of all trades, master of none". People always forget the second part. SS&C Management thinks it is somehow the exception to this rule and expects its employees to be both. Stop. Pick one or the other and build your systems accordingly because you will never have both. Currently you have neither.

P.S. Stop putting in fake reviews on this site "It's a nice place to work. It's a nice place to work" with a 5 rating is pretty clearly someone in HR doing what they are told and themselves not motivated enough to fake it.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Fund Accountant
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and has plenty of opportunity for advancement. Software used for accounting is best in the industry.

Cons

Managers aren't afraid to hire outside the company for senior and manager level positions as opposed to promoting qualified people from within.

Advice to Management

Training needs improvement. Performance review process needs more attention. Have quarterly updates that include goal setting.