SS&C Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
SS&C Chairman and CEO Bill Stone
Bill Stone

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life Balance and Career Opportunities (in 20 reviews)

• Casual dress code, laptop to work from home (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lack of work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Hard to tell what upper management is doing (in 26 reviews)

1. "corporate / client service"

I worked at SS&C full-time

Pros

Focused on revenue...if you're onboard, it could be very good.

Cons

Focused on revenue...if you're not on that ship, it's a continuous struggle.

Advice to Management

When revenue is the primary reason for action, other opportunities and experiences are sacrificed..

"Looks good on a resume, if you can tolerate it."

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is that SS&C looks good on a resume and will likely land you a pretty good exit opportunity. Put in a year or two and you will have plenty of recruiters contacting you through LinkedIn with job offers. The benefits are okay at best, and you usually have a good work/life balance aside from month/quarter/year end.

PTO is decent (15 days your first year, 20 your second), working from home is usually okay (depends on your manager), casual dress code is nice and the free bagels are the only reason I don't just work from home on Fridays.

Cons

There is absolutely no corporate culture here. Very high turnover and very inept management. After working here for almost 2 years, there is no clear structure or growth plan for employees which is why most people tend to burn out.

Compensation is a joke here and easily 10%+ less than similar companies. Bonuses are almost non-existent and if you do get one they tend to essentially be an extra paycheck's worth at most.

My advice to you is to use this company as a stepping stone and find something better after a year or two. It looks great on a resume. Don't be an overachiever, you will only burn yourself out quicker and the extra work will go unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation towards your employees and recognize the work they do for you. Work with them to put together a career development plan so employees can understand what they need to do to get a promotion and areas they can improve on. The review process here leaves a lot to be desired.

Replacing Bill Stone as CEO would be a wonderful place to start. A certified alcoholic who has a very hard time understanding how to run a company.

"staff accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

nothing worthy to name but the fact you get paid

Cons

too many to name that everyone else named

Advice to Management

Be considerate on your greatest assets

4. "Mixed"

I have been working at SS&C full-time

Pros

Flexibility with office or remote
    Nice people

Cons

Top heavy culture
    People not prioritized in programs

"You will learn a lot, but will also work ALOT!"

Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Fund Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SS&C provides a tremendous challenging learning opportunity. Overall, management at all levels is approachable. Additionally, wearing casual attire everyday makes the long hours more comfortable.

Cons

There is a lack of work/life balance. Additionally,with all the hours put in, management still requires you to show up on time after a 16 hour day. You will be a machine. It is all about the client.

Advice to Management

- More people need to be hired in order to retain talent

"Run.....FAST!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok if you're a new grad and desperate for a job.

Cons

I will first off say that I am not an involuntarily terminated employee looking to bash my former employer out of anger (Bill Stone, the owner of SS&C, considers anyone on Glassdoor a “whiner” and holds these reviews as nonsense with no merit). I was a good employee during my tenure with SS&C, well-liked and I enjoyed the work I was doing, but my personal view of SS&C is not favorable and I gave it 2 stars because if you are just out of college it would be an OK place to start off at. Other than being a new grad or desperate for work, I recommend you pass on any opportunity to work for this company, unless you want to work in an environment that fosters high turnover, poor morale, zero employee engagement and questionable practices. The problem with SS&C starts at the very top where Bill Stone sits and exudes a pompous attitude that SS&C is successful and doesn’t need employees; meaning he does not believe in employee engagement because if they want to work for SS&C they will and doing things for employees will not make them stay. He also believes that you must value materialistic things and want to drive “BMWs and not Yugos” to be successful at his company. Let’s not forget his view towards community service and donations; he stated at the annual Xmas party that “we aren’t here to leave work at 3pm and go volunteer our time at the Cancer Society or any of that junk". His speech, as well as the message it sent to the employees , was disgusting, as was the rest of his Xmas party speech. Because Bill Stone has no regard for employees or employee relations he only hires people that share the same behavior and it just trickles down through everyone at the company. What I experienced at SS&C was alarming, but it’s hard to pinpoint one thing that scared me the most. Overall, SS&C is poorly managed, hires people for positions who are not qualified and refuses to take responsibility or accept blame when they are in the wrong. They have little to no regard for their employees and they do not try to hide it.

"Employees are treated as A.I. Not human being"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

9-5 Work-life balance on off busy season. At latest until 9-10pm on peak season. Recommend if you are a family oriented person.

Cons

No staff advancement or development opportunities. Management have no concern about their people. I need more hand-on trainings, not from webcast.

Advice to Management

Your staffs are people, please treat them nicely.

"Fund Accountant"

I have been working at SS&C full-time

Pros

Good environment, great people to work.

Cons

No trainings, No bonuses, very little increment

"Associate manager"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many people can work remotely some days per week

Cons

People are generally unhappy and overworked

"Private Equity Fund Accountant"

Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Fund Accountant in Evansville, IN

Pros

The company has excellent technology, controls, a vast amount of resources and many knowledgeable professionals. I had the opportunity to work with various departments and different types of clients. It was great exposure and experience.

Cons

SS&C starts you out at a salary that is so low that it is almost insulting and tries to keep you at that level for as long as you will tolerate it. The difference between the best and worst employees "performance based" bonuses and raises is marginal at best. I honestly would have stayed with the company longer if they paid a decent salary. I enjoyed the team I worked with but ultimately struggled to support a comfortable lifestyle. I was very close to a promotion when I chose to make a lateral move to another company, which should say a lot about the culture there.

Advice to Management

Identify the employees that really could have a bright future with the company and take care of them. I cannot imagine how much resources the company spends hiring and training new employees because turnover is through the roof.