SS&C Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Experience low work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• There is no communication between departments or from upper management regarding annual or quarterly goals for a team or individuals (in 27 reviews)

"Run"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good opportunity to gain industry knowledge. The work is interesting. I cannot think of any other redeeming qualities.

Cons

Management is dishonest. During my interview all of the descriptions of company culture, quality of life, and team morale were false. This is the first time in my career that I genuinely did not believe a word management said. Job description also very misleading.

Quality of life is atrocious. SS&C provided the worst quality of life I have experienced over the course of my 16 year career. Simply put, the company is a sweatshop.

There is not any team hierarchy/ direction /structure. To management, Associate = Senior = Associate Manager = Manager. Anarchy.

In general employees have poor attitudes, and morale is low. Most who stay are simply stuck. Some employee behavior is completely inappropriate and outlandish, yet tolerated.

Compensation is well below market value.

Avoid working here unless you are desperate.

Advice to Management

They will not take it into account, so there is not any point in adding anything here.

"Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Associate Fund Accountant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Fund Accountant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SS&C full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SS&C (LA Office) is a great place to work. The coworkers and management are extremely nice and respectful and great to be around. Everyone is always willing to help each other.The job has great flexibility and a good work/life balance. Clients can become demanding at times but they are always appreciative of the time and effort that gets put in. Overall SS&C is a great company and I really love working here!

Cons

The only downside I can think of is that it gets pretty busy for quarter end but that's how every company is!

"Black Diamond/Advent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After the acquisition, the culture has died a little but it is still better than typical corporate companies. Management is very flexible with time off and working from home. Benefits aren't great but ok. Great knowledgeable people to work with. If it weren't for the Black Diamond/Advent veterans, culture would be dead.

Cons

Culture is slowly becoming more and more corporate as time goes by. Most teams are overworked. SS&C has no problem bringing on more clients but is reluctant to hire more help (they are super cheap). Everyone used to get decent raises.. not anymore; expect around 2% yearly. It can be difficult to move internally with a pay raise.

Advice to Management

Advent/Black Diamond management is great. SS&C is the problem. Show that you appreciate the hard work your employees put in!

"Senior Associate"

I worked at SS&C full-time

Pros

Exposure to hedge funds, fast paced environment

Cons

workload inequity, stressful and demanding clients

"Great opportunities and flexibility"

Current Employee - Fund Accounting Manager in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Fund Accounting Manager in Evansville, IN

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Lots of opportunity for those willing to work hard
    -Company rewards top talent
    -Great flexibility and good work/life balance
    -Young/fun culture, great coworkers!

Cons

-Clients can be challenging at times, but generally are appreciative of your time and efforts

"I Feel Myself Dying More Every Day"

Current Employee - Private in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Private in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As so many others have said, free coffee/tea and bagel Fridays are nice. The work environment is somewhat flexible. Dress code is lax, probably a bit too lax (see cons). There are some good people here, but probably accidentally.

Cons

Too much time is wasted checking check boxes. GoCheck and time sheets are so worthless in my position. I know when my work is getting done and so do my managers so why the need for the GoCheck website for me to be able to tell them, again, that my work is done?

I have enough to do to ensure my clients are happy with my work. I don't want to have to make sure someone else's clients are happy as well. CMP (Client Monitoring Program) is a fundamentally good idea but I am not a call center representative that should be calling someone else's client; I have no idea who the client is or what kind of work gets done on their account so how is it a good idea to have me, and so many others who are in the same position, call someone else's client? If I am assigned a client for CMP, I am not introduced to the client or the SS&C group that works on the account; execution of the program is awful with no parameters. Many clients feel it's a waste of time and don't want to be bothered. If a particular group is not performing and keeping their client happy (or withholding that they're not happy from management), don't punish the rest of the company with yet another task. Do some active managing and make sure this doesn’t happen again.

Your longevity at SS&C WILL NOT be appreciated. The CEO doesn't appear to care about your pay (as long as it remains lower than the industry average) or about you, no matter what those quarterly emails say. As long as he continues to get fistfuls of money and conquer the world by acquiring everything under the sun, he’s happy. If you’re not happy, he doesn’t care. People know this so they don't strive to do their best. Get some short-term experience from SS&C but never stop looking for something else in the meantime. The culture seems sloppy and directionless and you will suffer – the longer you stay the worse off you will be. Anyone who is good probably ends up here by accident and won’t stick around because they’re not “taken care of”. This leads to rampant turnover; when everyone is new, nothing is efficient; clients are not as happy and frequently ask why another person is leaving.

The lax dress code is a plus and a minus. On the minus side, some people appear to just roll out of bed and come directly to work, almost as if they don't know they're supposed to be coming to work in a professional environment. Maybe they think they're going to the beach? With how some people are, one could assume they've had a major lapse in judgment.

In-house software is terrible; it’s ridiculously slow and a productivity killer. Strange errors pop up that make no sense and the support folks sometimes can’t correct them. I can’t trust the way systems calculate certain things so I am forced to make sure things are correct by re-doing calculations on the side in Excel. It takes me three times as long to do something as it should because I can’t trust the software. I might as well just use Excel if the system can’t be trusted. There seems to be no development to fix the issues. Some issues have been ongoing for as long as I have worked here.

The office is terribly noisy and an awful environment to work in day after day. There is zero privacy. If you are sociable by nature, it won’t be a problem but after a while, it just wears on you.

Advice to Management

It looks like none of the complaints seen in other reviews are taken seriously after seeing how issues continue to worsen. It seems as long as the work gets done, nothing else matters.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at SS&C full-time

Pros

good company , great work

Cons

maybe pay little more salary

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SS&C full-time

Pros

Independence and ability to own deals and go after any territory.

Cons

Little to no structure, no resources to support sales efforts

"Private Equity Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Fun in Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Fun in Union, NJ

I have been working at SS&C full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is friendly. Eager to learn you will. Opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Compensation needs to be better for employees.

"Investor Services"

Current Employee - Investor Relations in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Investor Relations in Windsor, CT

I have been working at SS&C full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work with various hedge funds and gain client service skills

Cons

Upper management, compensation is very low

Advice to Management

Better understand employees needs