SS8 Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis Haar

1. Featured Review

"Great Learning Opportunities, New Technologies, Fast-Paced Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has several domains where software development happens - telecom/datacom, big data, communications/cyber security and analytics.....so there is a wide range of great areas to work for a software engineer.

The opportunities to learn and contribute to the success of self and the company are steady and excellent. If you are a "go-getter", who is self directed, takes the initiative, and is willing to learn, this is a great place to shine!

Unlike in a big company where you and your contribution can tend to get lost in wilderness, SS8 is very good place where your (quality) work gets great recognition. There are new technologies to learn constantly, so if you the type who always curious and willing to learn, this is the right company where you can excel.

Current leadership is open and accessible, and is actively promoting a transparent, flat-hierarchical work environment where fear of failure should not prevent employees from experimenting with new ideas. Further, people of good caliber will not go unnoticed.

Last but not the least, there is not much politics involved, which is a big deal for many people!

Cons

Be willing to work in a fast-paced environment. Since the technology used in the company is broad, some people can get overwhelmed with this initially, but then, if you are a willing learner, you should be good.

You must be open to new ideas, be willing and receptive to change if a particular way/process is not working; if not you can tend to be like a "fish out of water".

Advice to Management

Continue to foster the open environment, and striving to make the company a fun place to work.

"Dynamic Place to Grow and Learn"

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time

Pros

Complex broad technology, lots of areas to grow and contribute.
    Makes the world a safer place, not many company's can say that.
    Opportunity to grow as the company broadens and grows it application of technology.
    Open environment.

Cons

Complex broad technology, This is not a place to go if you want to stay an expert without learning.
    Adoption of new stuff is fast, the fail fast model is adopted but this means you must be ok with visible failure (no repercussions but a desire to learn from mistakes is adopted).
    Lots of smart opinionated people make discussion and dialog not for the feint of heart

Advice to Management

Continue to evolve the team, don't allow mediocre people. At times there feels like too much to do.

"Excellent Culture, Great People, Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Operations in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, free snacks, company events & great culture! SS8 is led by energetic executives that engages with every employee. This is a great company that cares about there employees and it's a fun place to work with future goals to make it even better! Everyone is friendly and helpful. Best career move I've made.

Cons

The biggest challenge of SS8 is understanding the different types of technology.

Advice to Management

Upper management does an outstanding job of communicating the objectives and goals of the company. Keep doing what your doing!

"Great people, exciting technology, what you do actually matters..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The most important part is the people. I have been working there for many years and I have met and worked with a great set of people. People are friendly, passionate and professional. I like the teamwork environment. If you are an engineer, there is a lot to learn, cutting edge telecommunications technologies, cyber security, all sorts of software technologies, etc. Just like in any hi-tech company, you are trying to develop something new, and take it to market as quickly as possible. So there is an ongoing demand to deliver on commitments (just like in any real business), but the management understand that when you are working on something that has never been done before, things happen, and the entire team works together to make it happen. Pretty good work and life balance. There are opportunities to learn different technologies and involve in different products, especially for software engineers. You have a fair amount of flexibility and autonomy about how you do your job as long as you do it and it aligns with the company and/or project objectives. Last but not the least, what you do actually matters and it impacts people in a positive way. You can go home happy in the evening knowing that your work has an impact. Management is also very open about the company and more transparent that any other company I worked for.

Cons

If you are not willing to learn new things, this is not a good place for you. There is on-going demand to excel and learn new technologies. This is not necessarily a bad thing but important to know.

Advice to Management

While there are quite a few employee activities for the entire company, team building activities within individual groups could be useful to integrate new employees.

"Positive culture"

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my many years in high-tech, I have never encountered a completely frictionless cross-functional collaboration, but SS8 definitely is one of the best companies in this regard. People are genuinely committed to doing the best for the customers, and there is a high level of alignment between different functional groups. As non-political as it gets.

Cons

Very fast paced, people wear multiple hats, some of the legacy internal systems are not optimized for the current business processes.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working for SS8 recently and realized what I have been missing all the years of my working at various companies. It's a fantastic place with very cordial management and co-workers. SS8 offers a stimulating environment for self-enhancement and driving up individual abilities towards meeting personal and organizational goals. At SS8 every team member is vested with equal power and responsibility, thus removing the barriers of top-down hierarchy.

Cons

Less established rules (which is a plus for me :-) ).

8. "Hottest area in cybersecurity"

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SS8 is at the center of the hottest and most exciting areas in cybersecurity. Strong leadership, fast moving, autonomous environment.

Cons

Being a slightly lesser-known company can present recruiting challenges, but awareness of the company is growing.

"Good for a startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Merit is rewarded with greater responsibility.

Cons

No obvious cons come to mind.

"Fast Environment, Quality Products, Dedicated Employees"

I have been working at SS8 Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food!!! Management is transparent on company growth. Executives takes interest in employees. Departments are small, so employees are able to take on more responsibilities. Management is flexible to mothers with new babies, and children in school. Company events throughout the year.

Cons

Work/ personal life can be hard to balance due to fast paced environment. Departments are small, so employees are able to take on more responsibilities. Field employees feel a bit disconnected (management has committed to opening up lines of better communication)

"Career growth and learning opportunities"

Pros

Before coming to SS8, I worked for a large fortune 100 company. My job was very focused in one aspect of software engineering. I wanted to have broader exposure to different aspects of product development and deployment along with growth and learning opportunities. SS8 provided this for me.

The management team is friendly and enjoys helping employees with their career growth.

I am in favor of working smarter instead of working harder, and I am glad that my manager and our COO believe the same.

Cons

I would like more group lunches. We have free healthy snacks. Free drinks would be nice.

Advice to Management

I welcome the new changes initiated by the executive management team. SS8 is becoming a more fun place to work.